Philips X-treme Vision +100 vs X-treme Vision +130

Aonsaithya

Newly Enlightened
Probably oil residue; I should've realized that myself! Thanks.

I got them from a well-known (and apparently reputable) webstore about 100km from here, no idea on their source. The actual packages appeared untampered with, but I only opened one of the two and then photographed just one bulb. I'll have a look at the others and clean them all (and probably the PY21W and W5W bulbs while at it).

While I seem to recall seeing a bottle of isopropyl alcohol in my apartment in the past few years, I have plenty of this stuff at the ready which I've used to clean PCBs, CPUs etc. It's probably adequate for the job?

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Petroleum as such will not hurt glass or metal, but any oily film at all that's left on the glass of a halogen bulb will be harmful when it heats up. Petroleum products definitely will harm many rubber and plastic products.

Aonsaithya

Newly Enlightened
Petroleum as such will not hurt glass or metal, but any oily film at all that's left on the glass of a halogen bulb will be harmful when it heats up. Petroleum products definitely will harm many rubber and plastic products.

Ah, I see. That cleaning spray is supposed to be "dry", so I'd be surprised if it left any residue, but I'll get some isopropanol anyway to be on the safe side.

I managed to take a closer photo of the residue:
IMG_6174c_extremevision_patterns
Looks a bit like frost, actually. Very weird...

Last edited:

fastgun

Enlightened
"" Short answer for others who may not yet know: 60/55W is standard boilerplate nominal wattage marking for H4 bulbs, manufactures have some leeway for actual wattage.[/QUOTE]

If voltage a bulb receives remains the same, is it the bulbs filiment size that will determine how many watts are consumed?

Also, is it correct to say that watts are being consumed or are watts being produced?

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I managed to take a closer photo of the residue:
IMG_6174c_extremevision_patterns
Looks a bit like frost, actually. Very weird...

That certainly is interesting. And my compliments on the photography.

Alaric, maybe it will help to explain that watts, like horsepower is an actual measure of work (and heating a filament is work), where amps is a measure of flow, like gallons per minute in a pipe, and volts is a measure of "electrical pressure," sort of like the pounds per square inch pressure in the aforementioned pipe. Sometimes it's hard for people who haven't grown up with Ohm's law and basic rules of physics to quickly grasp all of this. Once a person gets it, it all makes sense.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Looking at this new edition to the XV line, I can't help but think that this is Philips attempt at having a lamp to compete against Osram's Nightbreaker...a sort of "me too" bulb. (Will this fad with blue lights, filtered halogen or LED ever end?)

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
Can someone please tell me if there is a difference between these 2 different packaged Philips X-Treme Vision 9003 bulbs?

--- I just took a closer look at those bulbs and one's an H4 and the other is a 9003.

H4 Round Blister Pack:...mfg?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007K6E51W/?tag=cpf0b6-20

9003 Boxed Pack:....mfg in Poland?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQWQLPO/?tag=cpf0b6-20

--- I did some searching and also found these threads on "9003 vs. H4"....so I guess the 9003 is better with tighter specs.?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?326828-9003-vs-H4

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?378072-9003-vs-H4-Xtreme-Vision

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Practically, the 9003 and H4 Xtreme Vision bulbs are functionally identical. The $52 pack is way overpriced, go for the other.

Last edited:

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I just made up a relay harness and installed a set of these, the XtremeVision +100 9003 bulbs.

Just playing indoors after finishing the installation (which leaves something to be desired - I wanted factory ammeter on the '86 F250 to work, so I did not supply directly from the battery - I may change that, since the ammeter barely moves on its best day, but at least I've got 13 volts or so at the bulbs with high beams on), I could see a difference between the bulb hooked to the harness and one still hooked to the factory wiring.

Then I installed the XtremeVision and compared one of those bulbs to the low hours "Hella" 60/55 bulbs that came with the H4 headlights. There seemed to be a bit more light, but it also seemed like there was less artifact in the beam, a more even distribution of light.

The harness and bulbs don't magically turn those old 200mm Hella H4 headlights into something really great, but I think this is an improvement. I am eager to head home in a half hour or so, and see how they perform in the dark.

Last edited:

robertkoa

Newly Enlightened
Like the "perpetual motion machine" builders. Or people who fall for PIAA's marketing (55W=100W, for example).

Lol. A guy at a national Auto Parts Store explained this to me-

Apparently PIAA has developed "Cold Fusion" a system which violates the Laws Of Physics or a revolutionary
Technology where you get more energy out than you put in-

BUT instead of using it to solve world hunger, energy crisis, Global Warming, they are just using this for light bulbs in Autos....OR extremely misinformed or telling lies.

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
You should've had him go to the computer, and look up a 1981 DeLorean to order a "Flux-Capacitor"....then insist for him to keep looking for it, since you know it's a "real" part. He'd probably tell you to go to the dealer. While your there, ask him which fuel additive contains plutonium since you need it to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of power to light those Cold Fusion bulbs!

I love these guys, selling shoes one day, and now experts in auto-parts!

Aonsaithya

Newly Enlightened
That certainly is interesting. And my compliments on the photography.

Thank you, here's the full setup used. I took some additional photos, which the people of Philips too found interesting. So interesting, that they had a courier pick up all four bulbs last week. I'm eager to hear what their lab has to say.

Last edited:

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
I can only wonder IF they will tell you anything or give you some kind of major incentive for your discovery in hopes you will keep your mouth shut about all this!!!!!!

If you don't hear back from them, then send them this Thread to maybe motivate them!!!!!

So much for quality control.

Was it a film over the bulb or an internal defect?

Did you try to clean the bulb as suggested.......?

Last edited:

Latest posts