Photos of Protected Lithium Batteries

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are pro's and con's to the #4, including safety & reduced capacity that makes it not be an identical performance trade.

For the Inova light I chose LiPO4s, so I assume I'm getting a slightly safer cell, with a lower capacity, than a regulated RCR . I couldn't find the regulated ones that day...

I don't care a great deal about runtime, so my only worry at this point is whether the extra .2V (x2 in this light) is going to stress the electronics or the 3W LED.

My new concern is now whether my Fenix L0D with 500mA rated (250mAh tested) regular Li Ion 10440s is going to explode. So far Ultrafire has said "thanks for the info" on the capacity shortcoming, but has neither offered to replace the cells, nor been forthcoming with a datasheet or other yea/nay confirmation about the safety of 1A loads.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given this old thread -- AW's 18500 seem to have a higher mAh rating, 1500 mAh vs. 1400 mAh for Pila's 300P.

Is there any tangible reason why one might prefer Pila vs. AW?

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
In my experience, AW 18500 cells suck.

Out of 4 AW 18500 cells that I had, 3 failed: 2 leaked electrolyte, 1 woudn't hold the charge. Different batches, too. I switched to Ultrafire in this size.

Note that I have a bunch of AW cells in other sizes (18650, 17670, RCR123) and never had any problems with those. It's just the damn 18500 cells.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
In my experience, AW 18500 cells suck.

Out of 4 AW 18500 cells that I had, 3 failed: 2 leaked electrolyte, 1 woudn't hold the charge. Different batches, too. I switched to Ultrafire in this size.

Note that I have a bunch of AW cells in other sizes (18650, 17670, RCR123) and never had any problems with those. It's just the damn 18500 cells.

I never got the one FiveMega light that used this new 18500 cell, but if what you are saying is true (and I believe your report), AW would certainly take care of the situation.

I had a batch of 17670 cells that did not have the proper performance over a year ago, and AW resolved it to my full satisfaction. There is a substantial reservoir of excellent customer service that AW has built up, and worth remembering if a rare problem occurs. In other words, I have always seen him favorably resolve issues like this.

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
So, is this a concern only for rechargeable? I am just getting into the whole CR123a lights. I was going to buy a butt load of Rayovacs from Battery junction or maybe the Duracell's, anyway do I need to worry? Or like I said is this just for rechargeable????

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
So, is this a concern only for rechargeable? I am just getting into the whole CR123a lights. I was going to buy a butt load of Rayovacs from Battery junction or maybe the Duracell's, anyway do I need to worry? Or like I said is this just for rechargeable????

The protected circuits added to cells as shown in this thread are related to rechargeable LiPo or Li-Ion cells.

There are other problems with primary Lithium (use once) cells...particularly if mixed brands, and/or cheap brands, and/or dissimilar voltage charge levels are combined in a light.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor!

This is fantastic, my first 18650 cells will be here by week's end and I've wondered just what the (bleep) I've gotten myself into! This is most educational! But just what are unprotected cells good for?

chiphead

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unprotected, lithium cobalt cells are used in large battery packs with a protection circuit built into the "pack" instead of each individual cell, or in a device with a built in protection circuit. Also in stuff where safety is a secondary concern to maximum power density ( hobby R/C ).

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yeah, as Yoda says. Some of us who have learned proper use and care of Lithium Ion batteries may use unprotected for certain flashlights that may need just a bit more current output than the AW/Pila 5.5Amp output limited protected cells.

We realize most of the concern with unprotected Lithium Cobalt cells is from imbalanced cells, and mostly when charging. It's not that unprotected cells cannot be used...rather the user needs to be aware of the increased risks and be willing to take appropriate steps to manage them.

If you read the posts in this battery section, you realize how many users still do not have a proper understanding of Lithium Batteries. So the general guideline of using Protected Lithium Cobalt Ion cells is the safest message that can be sent out.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, as Yoda says. Some of us who have learned proper use and care of Lithium Ion batteries may use unprotected for certain flashlights that may need just a bit more current output than the AW/Pila 5.5Amp output limited protected cells.

We realize most of the concern with unprotected Lithium Cobalt cells is from imbalanced cells, and mostly when charging. It's not that unprotected cells cannot be used...rather the user needs to be aware of the increased risks and be willing to take appropriate steps to manage them.

If you read the posts in this battery section, you realize how many users still do not have a proper understanding of Lithium Batteries. So the general guideline of using Protected Lithium Cobalt Ion cells is the safest message that can be sent out.
You don't have to tell me but once! By the way, where did you get those cells you did the autopsy on?

chiphead

Zalupok

Newly Enlightened
I have taken in a parts the one by accident. Is it possible to repair it? Will it work fine?
166wsnp.jpg

1qkdxk.jpg

2lcobhu.jpg

jg0f2d.jpg

fxqg5v.jpg

2lozo7.jpg

Last edited:

Mik

Newly Enlightened
I have taken in a parts the one by accident. Is it possible to repair it? Will it work fine?

Oh yeah, that'll buff right out! :wave: NICE!

Last edited by a moderator:

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Zalupok :)

LOL @ your pics, but they are much too large. Please re-size them to comply with Rule 3. The max permitted size is 800 x 800 pixels (yours there are 1280 x 960)

Mik, there's no need to include the whole post with all the pics in the quote. Please edit it out.

Bronx68

Newly Enlightened
We are presently designing a led UV curing station. The circuit in the unit requires a voltage above 8 volts and less that 24 volts. It draws 350 ma (.35 amps) with a 9 volt input. We need to add battery operation to these units. The batteries need to be rechargeable and will also need a battery charger. What do you recommend for batteries and a charger? The batteries can be removed from the unit to go in the charger.

We are looking for medium to low cost battery solution. The unit is turned on for 30 seconds at a time. Something over 30 to 40 exposures (on seconds each exposure) should be adequate between recharges

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
We are presently designing a led UV curing station. The circuit in the unit requires a voltage above 8 volts and less that 24 volts. It draws 350 ma (.35 amps) with a 9 volt input. We need to add battery operation to these units. The batteries need to be rechargeable and will also need a battery charger. What do you recommend for batteries and a charger? The batteries can be removed from the unit to go in the charger.

We are looking for medium to low cost battery solution. The unit is turned on for 30 seconds at a time. Something over 30 to 40 exposures (on seconds each exposure) should be adequate between recharges

I think you may have wanted to start a separate thread, since your post has nothing to do with this topic. Also, regular font size would be easier to read.