like is a big optic better than a small optic

It is difficult to tell from there shots
I

here are some beamshots from their site
mce-20mm.jpg

mce-265mm.jpg

TexLite

Enlightened
It looks from the pics that the larger optic does a better job of disguising the gap between the dies.

If that truly is the case,then it would be reason enough for me to go with the larger optic.

-Michael

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ellipitical on orthogonal optics could be (very simply!) redesigned to eliminate the dark projected line.

Last edited:

longleg

Newly Enlightened
The 26,5mm ones have a narrower beam (13 degrees) than the 20mm (20 degrees).
I´ve been in contact with a Carclo rep, and he said that they are coming out with an optimized optic (dunno what that means exactly) in a few weeks time.

My plan is 1 x MC-E @ 13 degrees on the helmet, and 2 x MC-E @ 20 degrees on the bars.

TexLite

Enlightened
I wonder,with questions recently about the legality of retrofitting LED's into headlights,auto and other,and the concern of some bike lights being bright enough to blind oncoming traffic,would the elliptical optics allow these systems to pass legal requirements?

I dont know the specifics,but I know headlights have to meet certain requirements,such as x amount of intensity at x angle or axis.Those ellipticals might actually make the grade?

-Michael

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Would you mind getting a quick figure for a die at 700 mA?

I only had one sample mounted that I could still access the individual dice with. On it, all four dice measured a 3.3 Vf @ 700 mA. This was a quick measurement as there is no heatsinking beyond the MCPCB of the sample.

I have decided for my first proto to try one of these in a LunaSol 27 package with the MC-E driven by a badboy converter set at 750 mA. The dice will be 2S2P configured.

It seems from some quick evaluations that the MC-E if projected "sharply" by a reflector, you will get a darker cross in the center of the beam. No surprise as viewing the phosphor in the reflector you see four radial lines of no phosphor.

bikerjay

Newly Enlightened
Wow hard to get a good spot out of the MC-E apparently. I ordered a LM-1 smooth spot presumably made by ledil from cutter with my MC-E since I wasn't crazy about how the Carclo beams look. I hope it dosnt end up being a wide beam since I plan on building a bike light and helmet mounting it.

chris_m

Enlightened
Has anybody suggested the idea of retrofitting an old light using a Lux V? You certainly used to get people asking about this when we were all busy modding our Lux 3 lights. You could make one of these work electrically - would it work with the optics?

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
Hi McGizmo,

It seems from some quick evaluations that the MC-E if projected "sharply" by a reflector, you will get a darker cross in the center of the beam

What I can say so far about my MC-E samples is that they go quite well with your McR-27XR. When using a sharp reflector the cross is hardly noticable, imho.
It is amazing how close Cree has made this package compared to a XR-E emitter opticaly. It is possible to use your McR-27XR only by lifting it some tenth of millimeter..and its bright like hell.

Amazing is also the measured Vf of my samples. All four dies consumes 12,6V when driven at 1A (!). That is unbelivable 3,15V per die in overdrive mode or 12,6W at 1A. It beats my best ostar at 22W regarding throw and I have very well binned beasts around. ;-)

In comparison with a well binned P7 the brightness without optics is about the double when driven at 700mA per die. But keep in mind that the MC-E has a tighter beam angle.

greets,
MikeRD03

Last edited:

ifor powell

Enlightened
Ledil have some new MC-E optics up on there site. Only preliminary info but I suspect you could do somthing nice with the EVA ones.

Ifor

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know where I might get an MC-E mounted on a 14mm star? I could use a star with individually addressable dice or a pre-wired 2S2P star. Normal-sized stars, like Cutter has, are 20mm.

thegeek

Enlightened
I believe Cutter has the option for 17mm. I don't know of any place at the moment that has smaller.