Please help a 18650 noob.

mcdj

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Convoy S2 (not an S2+ if that matters). No idea what LED, driver, etc. I'm not a modder. This is my first 18650 light. I actually tried to cancel the order after looking for batteries for it because the variety and complexities of 18650 and chargers is literally mind boggling. I've already spent like 2 hours looking for a battery and charger and I'm more confused than when I started. I had no idea owning a 18650 light was gonna be a science project.

I've seen threads recommending batteries for the S2+ but I don't know if those recommendations apply to the S2.

All I want is, a small reputable single charger preferably with a folding plug, and 2 batteries that are completely worry free and importantly, don't rattle or require any mods.

I would prefer a brand I've heard of. I don't mind paying a bit more. I don't want to think about fire hazard so I assume I need a protected battery.

I don't use my lights often. What is the shelf life of a charged cell? Can I keep the charger plugged in with a cell in it indefinitely?

Ideally I'd just buy something like the Nitecore single charger and a Nitecore battery but I can't find a single review of their compatibility with the Convoy S2.

Please advise.

1000 thanks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nitecore D2 would be a good choice for a safe charger, except that it uses a cord. Well worth the coin. That doesn't make it bad. It's just you prefer a folding plug.

I've seen folks speak well of Sanyo batteries for their S2.

Your cells will likely keep charged a good long time.... like nearly 100% after 6 months, 80% after a year.

Google convoy s2 and click on threads at BLF if nobody jumps into this thread with more info.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... This is my first 18650 light. I actually tried to cancel the order after looking for batteries for it because the variety and complexities of 18650 and chargers is literally mind boggling.....

All I want is, a small reputable single charger preferably with a folding plug, and 2 batteries that are completely worry free and importantly, don't rattle or require any mods.

I would prefer a brand I've heard of. I don't mind paying a bit more. I don't want to think about fire hazard so I assume I need a protected battery.

.... Please advise.

1000 thanks!

I am sorry to say that Li-Ion cells fundamentally and simply do not meet your above request.

They do take a bit of investment of time, interest, learning, and equipment to use safely and appropriately.

CPF can be an excellent resource for you and there are plenty of friendly experts here to help answer questions and otherwise assist you in developing this knowledge.

Alternatively, there are less worrisome battery chemistries that are rather lower maintenance available, too.

Last edited:

Frottage

Newly Enlightened
Hey mcdj, congrats on the convoy! It's like the gateway drug to flashaholism, lol. I was in the same boat as you last year and after much reading around here, the xtar vp2 was a really highly recommended 2 slot charger, and it's been great for me. As for batteries, nothing's foolproof, but panisonic/Sanyo ncr18650ga's are very highly regarded. You can opt for the protected version for an added level, of safety you like. They fit my s2's fine.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I bought a Convoy S2 (not an S2+ if that matters).
<snip>
I've seen threads recommending batteries for the S2+ but I don't know if those recommendations apply to the S2.

I don't use my lights often. What is the shelf life of a charged cell? Can I keep the charger plugged in with a cell in it indefinitely?

Ideally I'd just buy something like the Nitecore single charger and a Nitecore battery but I can't find a single review of their compatibility with the Convoy S2.

Please advise.

1000 thanks!

I don't quite recall, but I think that the S2 is a couple of mm longer than the S2+
There is enough spring length in each of them that they can take protected, and non-protected cells. Protected cells are a little longer and not all lights can take them. They will also take flat top OR button top cells. Again, some lights are fussy about that.

The S2 came with an XML emitter, the S2+ with a slightly more efficient XM-L2 emitter.
The S2 has a rubber boot switch cover, and most S2+ does not, it has a metal switch.

So, in short... the nitecore battery and charger will work for your S2.

Keitho

Enlightened
Mtnelectronics is a reliable source. I'd look at the xtar mc2 charger (simple, USB, $9), and the protected 18650ga recommended above. With that combo, if you exercise reasonable caution, especially to protect the cells from physical damage, then you'll be just fine. Enjoy the convoy!

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMR batteries are on the safer side. They won't blow up on you, but they can be damaged from over discharge and over charging. Make sure you keep an eye on them charging and you take them off the charger shortly after they get full.

Efest makes them for a reasonable price. Going gear has a single for $11.95.

The Ultrafire WF-139 used to be the reasonable priced Lithium charger, it is still available.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, if you're worried about the safety of 18650 lithium-ion cells, then you are likely a good candidate for using them. Yes, I know that sounds contradictory, but the only time they become unsafe is when people are too stupid to know that.

Genuine brand-name lithium-ion batteries (Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Sanyo) are actually quite safe, even if they are unprotected. They have to go through rigorous torture-tests to make sure they don't explode or catch fire. Stuff like baking them in an oven for hours, and short-circuiting them for hours. That will ruin the cells, of course, but it shouldn't cause a fire.

So, since you're paranoid, that's good. It means you won't do anything really stupid.

Just buy a good name-brand cell. The Samsung ICR18650 30Q is probably the best high-drain cell for the cheapest price, and it's a very good cell. Buy it in the US from mountain electronics, or illum, or even overseas from a site you trust. They are manufactured flat top, but you can also get them with button tops added if you need it.

As for a charger, just start simple. Just buy one of those micro-USB single-cell chargers for about $5. All chargers use a CC/CV algorithm. The more expensive chargers just charge faster, and give you bells and whistles. Make sure to also use a DMM to check battery voltage before and after charging, just to be sure. And, of course, never charge when you're not home.

I find people make lithium-ion cells sound way more scary than they actually are. They're only dangerous if you think they're not.

But, if you're still too nervous about them, stick with lights than use Eneloop NiMH batteries. That will still give you bright lights, and compact designs. Just not quite as bright as 18650 lights will do.

mcdj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses folks. On a lark, I popped in 2 123s and they fit fine, with just a little space around them, but no rattle. Nitecore spacer in the mail.

Keitho

Enlightened
Um, I might be worrying too much, but did you verify that 2xcr123 is ok for your S2? Depending on where you got it (more specifically, which driver is in the light; there are a lot of different versions out there--some designed for that voltage, some that are not), you might have found one of the many situations in which "safe" primary cells could do some damage.

I'm probably asking a dumb question, apologies if so.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the responses folks. On a lark, I popped in 2 123s and they fit fine, with just a little space around them, but no rattle. Nitecore spacer in the mail.
I'd suggest that you TAKE THEM OUT!
That light is designed for a 4.12 volt 18650 battery, NOT 2 x 3.2 batteries in series... 6.4 volts.

If you go through the threads in the 'Smoke and Fire, Hot cells...." subforum. I think that most of the fires were caused by lights with RCR123 or CR123 cells in series.

mcdj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the warnings guys. I had no idea. Just ordered a short 18350 tube for the Convoy and hopefully that will allow me to use 1 CR123 and be done with this quest.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered a short 18350 tube for the Convoy and hopefully that will allow me to use 1 CR123 and be done with this quest.

Probably not. 1 CR123 won't give you a high enough voltage to properly work the S2+, or most lights needing a lithium-ion cell. You'll need a rechargeable CR123 for the proper voltage. But you'll get horrible run times with a rechargeable cell that small.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the warnings guys. I had no idea. Just ordered a short 18350 tube for the Convoy and hopefully that will allow me to use 1 CR123 and be done with this quest.

If you don't use it for more than a few minutes at a time here n there an RCR 123 from Nitecore etc will keep you going for a couple of months at a time. But keep a spare charged one handy for the time it finally gives out.

I use another brand of light rated for 45 minutes with a Nite Core 650mAh RCR on high and have to swap cells about twice a year. But I also click it down to medium or low most of the time.

If you need max output mostly you'll swap cells more often. Many folks top up their batteries at given intervals. Knowing they only recharge X number of times I let the low voltage circuit in the battery dictate when to charge them.

dgbrookman

Newly Enlightened
As others have said it's great that you're being careful. To give you peace of mind you might want to consider a protected 18650 cell. I have both the S2 and S2+ along with protected and unprotected 18650 cells. I've put them right in front of me and will give some observations that might be helpful to you.

As expected both lights have no problem fitting a standard unprotected 18650, specifically the Panasonic NCR18650B and the Sanyo NCR18650GA (two popular and widely available cells).

Setting each flashlight lens-down and plopping the cells into the open tail end, it seems the S2+ has very slightly more depth -- perhaps half a millimeter. This may well be within manufacturing tolerance.

Now for the protected cell: This is a Keeppower 18650 2600 mAh unit. It is noticeably longer than the other two cells. I don't have calipers but eyeballing it with a metric ruler gives around 2 mm greater length than the unprotected cells.

The protected Keeppower cell fits in both the S2 and S2+ and works just fine.

Be aware that the sizes of cells -- and especially protected cells -- can vary quite a bit from one model or manufacturer to another. Just because this particular Keeppower cell fits doesn't mean that other cells will fit, perhaps not even other Keeppower cells.

As for a charger: A "cheap and cheerful" option is the LiitoKala Lii-100, a USB-powered single cell charger that can be had for as little as US$2-3 if you catch a special. Its two cell brother is the Lii-202 and costs a dollar or two more. They aren't high end chargers but I have several and have found them serviceable. Look for a regular post titled something like "Gearbest codes and flash sales" on Budget Light Forum

Finally, I strongly recommend buying lithium-ion rechargeables from a highly reputable supplier, such as Mountain Electronics or Illumination Supply. Not Amazon, not Ebay. There are a LOT of fake or otherwise dodgy LiIon cells in this world.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Zorzi

Newly Enlightened
Hello mcdj, I was going to suggest something similar as what dgbrookman suggested: a Liitokala Lii-100 and a Sanyo NCR18650B. I have a Convoy S2+ and it fits well a protected NCR18650B that I have, which is considerably larger in height and diameter, due to the protection circuit, button top and thick shrink tube used to cover it. I don't know though if the Convoy S2 has similar sizes as the S2+.

As for security, I suggest you educate yourself as much as you can untill you feel comfortable to use lithium batteries. They can be very safe, as far as you know what you're doing. Be extra careful when using more than one cell, both in series or in parallel. Good luck and enjoy your new flashlight!!

caled

Newly Enlightened
When I got my first LED flashlight, I ordered it from ebay.

A Chinese 18650 brand name "UltraFire". I've ordered several more since, and had mostly good luck.

There are a zillon brand names for these low cost lights, and I suspect they are all made from the same components and differ mainly in the Logo on the side.

Perhaps some vendors do a little more QA than others, so you are more likely to get one that works.

Mine came with a charger and a couple batteries.

Since then I've gotten other chargers and several different brands of batteries.

All the chargers worked, a few batteries failed -- but the failure mode was becoming an open circuit. No overheating and no fires.

I just follow common sense rules. Never short out a battery. Don't throw it in a drawer with a bunch of metal objects that might short it. I also keep them out of the hot sun.

When I try a new charger, I feel the batteries once in a while to see if they are heating up -- and if I ever find ones getting hot, the charger goes into the trash.

Also, when I run a new light for a time and it starts to get warm, I switch it to a lower intensity (and therefore lower current) setting -- I'm not into pushing the envelope by running them hot.

These Chinese lights are so inexpensive, if you get batteries or chargers that don't work right, you can just toss them and move on.

I'm a newbe here (in fact this is my first post outside the new members intro area, so I hope I don't trip up a some protocol issue)

Dave

roach1492

Newly Enlightened
Look up Batteryuniversity a lot of good information on that site.I really like my Xtar VC2+ chargers.