Please help before I pull the wrong trigger!

BrightestBulb

Newly Enlightened
All set to buy a Lucifer X headlamp. Its offered in 4500 and 5000CRI. The manufacturer says using the 5000K you lose 20% output. They recommend the 4500 which is a little more yellow in tint. Before I pull the trigger is there a huge difference between the two in color or subtle?

pc_light

Enlightened
Hmmm, that's quite the dilemma.

Both color temperatures are popular for their "neutral" temperature range, so you probably won't go wrong with either choice. One's sort of like the light in the shade at mid-day vs late in the afternoon. Subtle.

A more important deciding factor could be whether having slightly more accurate color rendering is important (particularly with brown and red hues), or whether having 20% more overall output is important.

The XP-L2 4500K emitters I've experienced were quite acceptable, so I would lean in that direction for an outdoor headlamp where general illumination was my primary concern. For indoor closer-up headlamp use I choose higher CRI options.

LEDphile

Enlightened
A 20% flux hit going from 4500K to 5000K sounds like you're going from the 70CRI 4500K to the 90CRI 5000K. That much of a bump in CRI will be noticeable, while the 20% drop in flux isn't going to be visible unless you have the 2 side by side, and even then it's going to be tough to see. So personally, I'd go with the 5000K high-CRI variant.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
Hi, we spoke over the phone If I am not wrong. I try to explain the difference once again.

We use either XP-L2, 4500K, V6, CRI70 or SPHWHT (=LH351D) with 5000K, CRI93. Our customers love both of them, more frequently take the first option because they are more powerful.

The first one, XP-L2 option, has got neutral white color with slight yellow tint, very pleasent to eye. Colors are rendered fine, no complaints.

The latter one provides the most neutral white color I have ever seen, doesnt have any parazitic tints. I also like it very much. They also provides more throw as the center is little more defined than with XP-L2. So if you want rich and broad lighting, choose maybe rather 13+13+29+29+29+29. Because of CRI93, they have 20% lower luminous flux but hardly to be seen.

Basically, with any of them you wouldnt go wrong. I personally use both of them, even during competitions and truly cannot tell which one is better.

woodsmith

Newly Enlightened
A difference of 500k is definitely noticeable if you have something with which to compare it, but whether or not you would have or develop a preference comes down to the individual. Do you tend to be picky for example regarding the lights in your home or do you otherwise notice the quality of light from different sources? Do you find yourself lingering in the light bulb aisle of your local retailer trying to decide between 2700 and 3000k for your bathroom vanity fixture? Or do you not even think about it so long as you have sufficient light?

Personally I agree with pc_light...I'd prefer the 4500k over 5000 for general use (indoors or out) so long as I'm not performing color-critical tasks. It is indeed an interesting dilemma...usually the warmer option is also the higher CRI and lower output option, so the choice is easier: quality vs. quantity.

If you don't already know your preference you will likely be happy with either. Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you. Good luck!