Please help my new flashlight research

lloydh

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking for my first 'premium' flashlight and have a few gaps in my research.

Where in the technology cycle are we? Most high-end compacts are using Cree XP-E R2s but some are starting to use XP-Gs. Are G's likely to become the 'standard' and if so how quickly do manufacturers typically upgrade their lights? Essentially I'm wondering if now is the time to buy or not.

I like the new Fenix PD30 R4 (XP-G) apart from its advertised effective throwing distance (115m) relative to the advertised distance of lights with less output; TK11 R2 (>200m), older PD30 R2 (145m). Might Fenix have revised their measurement / estimation methodology or is this really a spill-biased flashlight?

I'm also (noobishly) floundering over power options. Am I correct in thinking that rechargeable 18650 cells hold an ultimate runtime advantage, even over 2xAA and 2xCR123A primary cells?

Lastly, a more subjective question. To those who own both PD30 / LD20 / D20 style lights and tactical flashlights akin to the TK11 / Nitecore Extreme, which are you more fond of and which do you find yourself grabbing most often when heading out?

Thanks.

Dole

Newly Enlightened
The XP-G leds are pretty much the newest and they are brighter than the R2's but they are bigger. So that is why you are seeing better throw from the R2's even though the R2's are not as bright. Because the smaller the led is, the easier it is to focus it into a throwing beam.

Check out the Olight M20 R2 compared to the M21... It will give you an idea of what I'm talking about

Dole

Newly Enlightened
Also, I think a PD30 would be an excellent choice for a first premium flashlight. My first was the Fenix P3D (older model) and I love it.

Its really a great all around flashlight that you can comfortably carry

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won them all and go for the PD30 most just because its a good utility light with all its output modes and relative compact size. I guess 115 sounds about right for a R4 since they tend to have more and brighter flood. If you want more throw throw than flood the PD30+ with R2 might be a better choice. I don't yet own a R4 PD30 so thats just a guess with the info provided. IMO If I was you i would get the R4 unless you think the extra 30 meters of throw is worth it, I tend to love bright floody lights with medium throw. Good luck

Egsise

Banned
Essentially I'm wondering if now is the time to buy or not.
Buy now.
Or wait 6-12 months for something better, like neutral white RP-G's.
After that you can wait for XF-Y's and after that you need to wait for neutral white versions again and then there's these new fission based batteries but wait for fusion batteries they are much better and so on and so on.

Buy now, really.

My family uses Fenix LD10, Quark AAW, Zebralight H50 and Fenix TK20 every day, just one flashlight would not be enough.
I have played with TK11 R2, nice runtime with 18650 but not bright enough to make me WOW.
The difference between 150 lumens and 250 lumens is so small that I don't need TK11 etc.
I want 500+ lumens from high powered flashlight, i don't need 500+ lumens but it would be nice to play with it... :naughty:

How much lumens do I use mostly...well my wife likes to read with ZL H50 on low(2.6 lumens), i prefer full 66 lumens if i need to fix car etc.
LD10 on low(9 lumens) is in candlemode on our nightstand, our 1y 4m son keeps it on low when he finds it and bangs it to the floor or teases our dog. :whistle:
Quark AAW, normally 18 or 70 lumens is enough for general use.
TK20 150 lumens when walking the dog.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to LloydH --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Let me answer yer' question thusly:

This is a Great time to be a Flashaholic.

:cool:
_

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Hi, :welcome:

Hi, I'm looking for my first 'premium' flashlight and have a few gaps in my research.

Where in the technology cycle are we? Most high-end compacts are using Cree XP-E R2s but some are starting to use XP-Gs. Are G's likely to become the 'standard' and if so how quickly do manufacturers typically upgrade their lights? Essentially I'm wondering if now is the time to buy or not.
LED technology will eventually progress as LED manufacturers are trying to get more lumens per watt, generally speaking. The XPG we know now will be like the XRE we know then. You can wait for more XPG lights to be released, but you might missed out what current LEDs get to offer in your application and needs now. The XREs and XPEs currently used in flashlights are still very, very good. There are alot of offerings of different UI, different reflectors, designs and such.

I like the new Fenix PD30 R4 (XP-G) apart from its advertised effective throwing distance (115m) relative to the advertised distance of lights with less output; TK11 R2 (>200m), older PD30 R2 (145m). Might Fenix have revised their measurement / estimation methodology or is this really a spill-biased flashlight?
My guess, Fenix made the PD30 R4 with more flood (wider hotspot). The XPG die is larger than XPE, allowing it to be floodier with standard reflectors.

I'm also (noobishly) floundering over power options. Am I correct in thinking that rechargeable 18650 cells hold an ultimate runtime advantage, even over 2xAA and 2xCR123A primary cells?
Yes, 18650 Li-ION cell is bigger than any of these though, Max charge is 4.2v (2200-2600mAH).

Lastly, a more subjective question. To those who own both PD30 / LD20 / D20 style lights and tactical flashlights akin to the TK11 / Nitecore Extreme, which are you more fond of and which do you find yourself grabbing most often when heading out?

Thanks.
4Sevens Quark Turbo 123^2! :D Anyway, in your options, I'll grab the PD30.

lloydh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the info... and for the warm welcome.

I'm now less set on the PD30 owing to its strict diet of CR123As and UK prices :(

While I could go with an AA flashlight I'm leaning towards an 18650 light, specifically the Jetbeam Jet-III Pro ST, which, while slightly larger, has better runtime and hopefully more throw.

One feature of the Fenix lights' which could hold me back however is the lantern accessories. Are there any that would fit the 25mm diameter Jetbeam Jet-III Pro ST?

Lastly how does the self discharge rate of 18650s, CR123As, AA primaries and NiMh AA LSDs compare?

Thanks.

Last edited:

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the info... and for the warm welcome.

I'm now less set on the PD30 owing to its strict diet of CR123As and UK prices :(

CR123A cells are expensive if you buy them retail, no doubt. But they can be had for less if you buy online. The tradeoff with AA is that you get less runtime in exchange for a less expensive, more easily-found cell. You may find that one or the other form-factor works better for you. Personally, I prefer 123s for runtime and form-factor, and I carry spares to overcome the disadvantage of finding them.

Lastly how does the self discharge rate of 18650s, CR123As, AA primaries and NiMh AA LSDs compare?

CR123As and Lithium (not alkaline) AA primaries will have the lowest self-discharge rates. Alkalines will be next, followed by most rechargeables. Rechargeables aren't all made equal, of course.

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
First, welcome to CPF. You'll find a lot of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people. Do your homework and exercise a lot of restraint so your budget survives. :naughty:
Where in the technology cycle are we?
I work with computers -- since punched card machines! When people ask me what PC they should buy and when they should buy it I always tell them to get a PC that does what they need whenever they can afford it. They have to realize that the newest, fastest, most bleeding edge PC they can buy will be obsolete as soon as they get it. Buy a tool that meets current and reasonably anticipated needs; you cannot win the technology race.

Flashlights are very similar. Decide what you need to do with a flashlight then identify models that meet that need. Shop for a reasonable price and buy it. There will always be a newer, brighter, more efficient light tomorrow or next week or next month. Be satisfied with meeting your needs with today's technology and today's money.
Again, decide what you will do with this flashlight. Many people new to quality lights initially focus on throw. I'll admit, great throw is pretty impressive. :duck: On the other hand, I usually need to see things much closer than 100-200m. 5-10m is far more commonly useful, at least to me. After my initial fascination with narrowly focused reflectors (or optics) I now look for a much wider beam with smooth transition between a large hot spot and bright spill. YMMV :grin2:

Hope that helps,
Steve

lloydh

Newly Enlightened
Best price I've found for CR123As is £12 for 6 (so 3 cycles in a 2xCR123A flashlight). Realistically I suspect I'd burn through 1 pair in the first week and the 2 remaining pairs would probably last me six months.

CR123As and Lithium (not alkaline) AA primaries will have the lowest self-discharge rates. Alkalines will be next, followed by most rechargeables. Rechargeables aren't all made equal, of course.

So would 18650s fall into the rechargeable or lithium category? I guess Li-Pos are also on the horizon.

When people ask me what PC they should buy and when they should buy it I always tell them to get a PC that does what they need whenever they can afford it.

My PC (actually Mac) buying habits tend to be quite the opposite lol. I time my purchases with major refreshes and new architectures - though I have been bitten with the occasional case of flaky v.1 hardware.

Many people new to quality lights initially focus on throw. I'll admit, great throw is pretty impressive. :duck: On the other hand, I usually need to see things much closer than 100-200m. 5-10m is far more commonly useful, at least to me. After my initial fascination with narrowly focused reflectors (or optics) I now look for a much wider beam with smooth transition between a large hot spot and bright spill. YMMV :grin2:

This does resonate. Perhaps I'll wait for UK availability of the XP-G PD30, but that will probably coincide with the initial announcement of an XP-G Jet-III Pro ST, leaving me no clearer. Still, it's the research and anticipation which is fun. :thumbsup:

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened

CR123A cells are expensive if you buy them retail, no doubt. But they can be had for less if you buy online. The tradeoff with AA is that you get less runtime in exchange for a less expensive, more easily-found cell. You may find that one or the other form-factor works better for you. Personally, I prefer 123s for runtime and form-factor, and I carry spares to overcome the disadvantage of finding them.

After verifying with the proper authorities (forum experts, and distributor) I have been using rechargable RCR123s (black AW IC protected ICR123 750maH 3.7v) for over a year in my PD30 with no problem at all. (and also the purple TR1634 1000maH 3.7v batteries) It sure helps keep the long term cost down.

hapiness

Banned
Thanks for your good information about led professional knowledge. I have got information about it.

hapiness

Banned
The XP-G leds are pretty much the newest and they are brighter than the R2's but they are bigger. So that is why you are seeing better throw from the R2's even though the R2's are not as bright. Because the smaller the led is, the easier it is to focus it into a throwing beam.

Check out the Olight M20 R2 compared to the M21... It will give you an idea of what I'm talking about

HI Dole,

very thanks for your professional information about knowledge of led technology. It come very in handy and is greatly useful for me.
:thumbsup:
thanks