Please Recommend a 4000K-4100K High-CRI *Throwy/Spot* Headlamp

williaty

Newly Enlightened
This is a thread I never expected to make. Back in the dark ages, I spent forever wishing manufacturers would realize what we all actually needed was a floody headlamp for working and reading. Now, for the first time ever, I need a throwy/spot headlamp. I've taken up night hiking in the mountains and I need to be able to scan around the trees for blazes that might be as far as 100m away. I have the up-close/floody/don't trip on roots taken care of via a Nitecore UT05 belt light, which is fabulous, if you have the need for such a thing. I want the spotty headlamp to blend with my waist light, which means the headlamp needs to be 4000-4100K and high-CRI.

Since I love my Zebralight floody headlamps, my first thought was to see what they offer. Their reflector is an orange peel texture and not polished and I have no idea if they'd be throwy enough but worse is that they're marked as backorder-only and I need something in the next week or so, not 6 months from now.

So what have you guys got for a high-quality, AA or 18650 powered, high-CRI, 4000-4100K throwy headlamp that's actually in stock right now?

Thanks!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamps do not really throw, especially with triples and quads, I have about half a dosen different ones, I have ZL 600, Zl 504, modified d10, d25, panda 3, gekko, skilhunt, and few others, none will throw 100M, however with enough lumens even a flooder can reach 100m, but it would come at huge cost in weight and power requirement. Just get a small thrower in addition to a headlamp.

fulee9999

Enlightened
To search for fire, a thermal imager is better suited, best hung on a drone, or just darkness. Or what is meant by the word "blazes"?

tree blaze as in tree marking. I would be surprised if OP was trying to find a firesource in the middle of night with the help of a headlamp :)

and to answer the question, maybe Wurkkos D25S or Nitecore hc65

edit: or you know, you can always go with the true and tested manufactuers like Petzl and Black Diamond

xcandrew

Newly Enlightened
Headlamps do not really throw, especially with triples and quads

There are lots of headlamps with throw - headlamps designed for orienteering/skiing/cycling(before the trend towards one-piece designs). But they do flood at the same time as a single device solution, and typically are not 4000K and high CRI. They would be a good single device solution for the OP's nightscape. (For easily available within a week, the new Petzl Nao RL is pretty tempting even though it probably has cool white/low CRI emitters https://www.roadtrailrun.com/2022/10/petzl-nao-rl-headlamp-review-lighter.html )

I'm nightly in similar nightscapes as the OP, so I understand what that is like, though I personally haven't wanted to try a waist light. I've found by holding a light at different heights to experiment that I personally wouldn't like the harsh ground shadows produced by a waist level light. Chest high would be ideal for me from purely a bumpy ground shadow definition consideration, giving more definition than head high, but not harsh shadows over deep roots. But a bright enough headlamp with combined wide and throw is perfectly fine for ground definition, with emphasis on bright enough. I don't trip up leaving the back trails from my house on severely rooty trails. My personal preference aside, the OP's desire is perfectly valid.

Have you considered buying a single emitter high CRI headlamp and then swapping the TIR? My YLP Gekko (with 4000K high CRI LH351D) would be perfect for you with a swap from the medium TIR to a spot TIR. YLPs are unobtainium now due to the Russia/Ukraine war, but I'm sure there is something from Sofirn, Convoy, or the like that would be what you want with an optic swap.

TimMc

Newly Enlightened
Cyansky HS6R has a SST20 95 CRI 4000K for flood and a SST40 6500K for throw. Some dealers might have a 3000K version where the 6500K and 4000K have been swapped out for 3000K emitters.

Armytek Wizard C2 Pro Nichia 4500K 90 CRI throws about 130m. TIR makes it a bit floody. I used this as a flood light on my bike.

borrower

Enlightened
Not crazy throwy or particularly high CRI, but pretty impressive on both counts, I love my Lucifer S2X. If you're in the SF Bay area, drop me a dm.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
borrower: Thanks. Actually we have 5000K,CRI93 option which combined with same TIRs produces more throw than "standard" XP-L2 LEDs. Equipped with narrowest 2x13° TIRs I would say it has some throw. BTW. xcandrew mentioned LH351D 4000K, that can be bought with CRI80. Thats in my opinion best "throwy" LED with good color quality and temperature you want and very efficient.

Last edited:

borrower

Enlightened
Y'know, it completely slipped my mind that there was a 13/13 option in the optics. (I have 13/20.) I imagine that would pump up the throw considerably.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer throwy headlamps, because they can be run at a lower wattage, with 10 hour runtime at the highest possible lux and lumens. My goal is now 1000 lux at 2 meters, with the best possible efficient in the driver, heat sink, led choice a 2s18650 is a good choice for a worklight, and I have not fully explored a 2s21700, although I have been using one for the past 6 months. I have have been using 2s18650 for the past 10 years, and often forget I have it on.

I personally don't like the compromise of output going to a 90 cri. And I do not like going below 4000K, and dislike yellow lighting. 4k is as yellow as I go. I like the spec tradeoff of the 80 cri leds.

I have been using 4k 70 cri leds for color inspection since late 2015. But I also like the color rendering of a cer 5300 Kelvin xpg. I only own one 90 cri light which I rejected on the basis of the shorter runtime because it needed more juice to see well, as the led was not as efficient as the xpl v6 that I normally use.... I personally, do not go for any headlamp without at least a 32mm aluminum reflector. And ar glass lens, 92 percent efficient buck driver, cpu finned heat sink, and infinite dial dimming. The controller needs to distant from the led, so it can be heat sinked separately and not cooked by the excess led heat. Of course, I make my own. But haven't since 2016, and waiting for some improvement on led efficiency or battery, which has not happened in the past 7 years.

I have 2 xph series emitter headlamps. The Chinese one is garbage, even with a zoomy. The Fenix is a good light, but rather bulky and the runtime is about 67 percent what I need. I am constantly fiddling with the output and often make mistakes. It is far better to just make a light as efficient as possible with as large as possible battery system and make the light have a minimum of 10 hours runtime. And a dial to get runtime as long as 300 hours. With a good setup it could be bright as 7500 lux, 450 lumens, and a minimum runtime of 10 hours. I wish I didn't have to spend days shopping for parts from 12 suppliers, and a good half day assembling because light makers make sub par lights. Apology to those who get close.

As far as a single cell goes. The best thing I ever own was 3 imalent hl25 lights with a dial and xplhi. The light made a half way bright enough worklight for 3.5 hours of runtime, which is way better than a flood zebra walk in the woods light. But 3. 5 hours is not very long, and they were not very durable in my opinion, at least for a belt loop edc. I do have one of the three 2017 that still works and I am wearing it now, although I have been using the $250 Fenix xhp50 2s217000 all day..

My next homemade light might use a buck Puck 1000, with dimmer, a 32 to 36 mm aluminum reflector, the highest bin 5000k xpg or xpl possible, a cpu heats sink for the led heat sink, an avid heat sink for the open air bezel, AR glass, a copper refrigerator tube for the pivot and additional heat sinking. A plate and homemade band, maybe 2s21700, and lots of thermal epoxy, usually jb weld with zinc dust mixed in. The switch is always the failure point weakness in my home made lights, and I have need of replacing them every few years. The wires from the rear to the front also need to be fixed every few years. And the lithium ion batteries need to be replaced every 3 or 4 years. I have always used protected Panasonics. I tried unprotected 2 years ago, but seeing a shorter lifespan on the unprotected. I just got frustrated with tripped protection circuits and the difficulty of resetting. I am still waiting for a better technology than lithium ion. I passed out years ago holding my breath.

I don't have a thrower headlamp atm, but if I must buy one, I'll definitly go with the Thrunite Thrower(neutral version)

Thrunite Thrower
I have one of the ThruNite Thrower headlamps, and used it while hiking in the Sierra Nevada range, and throughout King's Canyon, and can affirm that the Thrower is superb at illuminating objects at a distance. That noted, unless the blaze is painted bright white and facing you straight on, you'll need to be closer to it than 100m before you can positively identify it. (Personal Rant: Whoever decided that navy blue blazes were a good idea never had to navigate a trail after nightfall.)

You should be aware that the ThruNite product won't maintain the Turbo or High output settings for more than five or six minutes before stepping down; it generates a lot of heat at the highest settings. But the light features high lux, so lower output levels still generate considerable throw, more than most floody headlamps can hope to achieve. It's a reasonably good choice for night hiking in mountain and desert environments, and far less expensive than some custom and/or modded headlamps (although some of Sky Lumen's modded lights are pretty sweet).

I see that this thread was started in October 2022. Let us know which way you decide to go.

borrower

Enlightened
Because of this thread, I checked spotting performance with my 13/20 Lucifer S2X. At 100 meters on turbo, it lit up the reflective tag on a power pylon (and made the pylon easy to see), but I doubt you'd be able to spot a non-reflective paint blaze.

That said, if it was me in the woods looking for blazes, I'd have whatever headlamp I like plus a dedicated thrower tube light.

Reactions: hsa

python

Newly Enlightened
I like the positive button and the negative base of the Eagletac, they don't dent as easily as other brands. I found it better than Keeppower and Orbitronic.

arficus

Newly Enlightened
Find yourself a used thrunite th10 v2. Better runtime and regulation than the Thrower. Despite having awkward interface, my 2nd favorite headlamp--because of its impressive throw (for a headlamp), 1x18650 form factor, and NW emitter--a very rare combo in a headlamp.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Find yourself a used thrunite th10 v2. Better runtime and regulation than the Thrower. Despite having awkward interface, my 2nd favorite headlamp--because of its impressive throw (for a headlamp), 1x18650 form factor, and NW emitter--a very rare combo in a headlamp.
I only see a single aa 20 thurnite and a floody 30 18650

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only see a single aa 20 thurnite and a floody 30 18650
I need 4000 lux for 8 hours at least. Will settle for 3000 candela. 2500 is too dim to work with. I am not navigating, but inspecting at up to 2 meters.