Pocket Flashlight - for work!!!

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
If you don't mind me asking, which D25A would you recommend? I have seen various emitters including an XP-L HI from Illumination Gear. I currently have the 2014 D25C Titanium version.

The one I have (and really like) is the D25A Cool White XM-L2 U2 LED. I know tint is a matter of preference, but I prefer Cool White.

Brett H

Newly Enlightened
The one I have (and really like) is the D25A Cool White XM-L2 U2 LED. I know tint is a matter of preference, but I prefer Cool White.

Thanks for your response! The one thing I don't like about my D25C is that it seems to get hotter than other similar light I own. Is this an issue with the D25A?

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a front pocket light, a Nitecore MH20 or a fun EDC light, a JETBeam RRT0SE. For at the ready in the back pocket, a pocket thrower, the Nitecore EC4 and if needing more soft flood, a Nitecore EC4S.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Thanks for your response! The one thing I don't like about my D25C is that it seems to get hotter than other similar light I own. Is this an issue with the D25A?

It does get warm on high mode when using a 14500 but I doubt I'll ever go back to using an Alkaline in it-- that's how much I love the output from the 14500. Someone else will have to comment on if it affects of ruin the driver.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I just bought a new Nitecore smart charger and some Eneloop batteries from Amazon.

Just be aware of the limitations of the Nitecore Smart Chargers for NiMH cells, as highlighted in SelfBuilt's review. Since learning about this I bought myself a Technoline BC-1000 with proper -dV charging termination. Then again, Eneloops are pretty hardy, so I probably won't see a good return on my investment compared to just replacing my NiMH cells a little more often.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind me asking, which D25A would you recommend? I have seen various emitters including an XP-L HI from Illumination Gear. I currently have the 2014 D25C Titanium version.

I EDC the D25C Ti. 2014 clicky and love the size. Throw in an AW IMR 16340 and for me, it's hard to beat. The modes/groups should suffice for most short <150' applications. I also EDC the Sunwayman V11R with AW IMR and it's really flexible (has AA adapter for 14500/AAs,) but it's not as sharp looking as the Ti. and it's a bit fatter.

Then there's always the ZL SC5/SC52 pocket light to consider.

Chris

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just be aware of the limitations of the Nitecore Smart Chargers for NiMH cells, as highlighted in SelfBuilt's review. Since learning about this I bought myself a Technoline BC-1000 with proper -dV charging termination. Then again, Eneloops are pretty hardy, so I probably won't see a good return on my investment compared to just replacing my NiMH cells a little more often.

Safe to say you can ignore these concerns. I put my ancient 2000 mAh Eneloops in the Technoline charger on test mode, and the worst cell still has 1830 mAh, all the others still have >95% capacity. This is despite using an automatic charger that doesn't have the sophisticated -dV charge termination and generally neglecting them. From this, I can conclude that the cells are so hardy that the Nitecore charger will do them no harm.

EDIT: It seems that the Nitecore D2 chargers do have -dV detection, whereas the i2 does not.

Last edited:

Latest posts