Pocket steak knife?

cutlerylover

Banned
You know in this case you mgiht want to think about a serrated folder...because with a good serrated knife the inner curves of the serrations will not touch the cermic platee, so it can be used often before it needs to be sharpened again, thus the posotive side of serrations in general...Problem is finding a serrated fodler that woudl be really easy to clean and carry, and not scare anyone at a nearby table, lol...I cna see why you woudl want a straight edge (probably for ease of sharpening right?) Well its a give and take then, you cna find a staright edge but it would probably still need a touch up afetr each use...

Might I suggest a somethgin like this...

http://www.coldsteel.com/superedge.html

Its a fixed blade so its easier to clean, but small enough not to create a scene, lol, it can even be added to your keys or slipped into a pocket easily, and the kydex sheath can easily be washed out as well when you get home...easy cleanup, long lasting serrated blade, small, but not to small, would work for me if I had this problem...Ohg yeah and the best part of all, cheap! you cna buy 2 if you wanted for your $60 budget...Just throwing the idea out there...

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
This reminds me of a mid-range steak house I went to in Vegas with a group on knifemakers (Las Vegas Classic). They hand us one of those big ugly serrated-dull knives to cut the slabs of meat. Ugh....those things just tear the meat up.

Funny how most of us just reached into our pockets and used our own knives. The waiter came by and was aghast at the sight of all these non-restaurant supplied cutlery. :p

Dantor

Enlightened
interesting thread, and a good point. over in some other forums we call this knife a steak knife;
2zrffnn.jpg

it's the top one called the "WoodsWalker"
and it really feels like a steak knife! it's a neck knife but it
sharpens well and holds it nice. I don't know if that can fit your niche but for the price;
http://www2.agrussell.com/content/a...t=woodswalker&SearchSectionID=1&search=Search
it's not bad. that link also has regular steak knives ;)

Empyfree

Enlightened
I'm not really a knife man, waiting for my first proper knife (the CPF special) at the moment. Seems to me that what you want to take with you to restaurants is not a different knife, which may cause offence/scare the serving staff/need cleaning before taking home etc etc, but rather a small sharpening block. Order the steak, ask for their "in house rather blunt" knife and spend five minutes sharpening it while you wait for your steak! Job done!

and now I'm hungry!
steak.gif

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
Get an opinel, and a small hone, either a diamond or ceramic, and touch it up. Who cares if you end up with a dull spot, thats what sharpening is all about! I carry an old gerber bird and trout from the 60's in my brief case, and use that, its not a folder, but its in a little leather case I made with a spoon and fork, (sometimes I eat at my desk) but I have no trouble taking it out at a restuarant.

If I go to the good places for steak, I might not need it, but it's always there.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew a guy who used his own pocket knife to cut up a steak at a restaurant, fair enough. When he was finished eating he left the knife on the plate, forgot about it and the waiter took it away! He only realised a few days later too. :ohgeez:By then it was gone! :mecry:

It was the last time he ate out using his own knives! :D

Be careful guys it's easily done!

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Link.

I've found the AG Russell fruit tester knife to be the most useful and widely acceptable pocket steak knives. I actually wrote an entire article on carrying and using a personal/pocket knife while dining out but never posted it.

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
Generally, I find the quality of restaurant cutlery doesn't really have anything to do with the quality of the steak. I've gotten dull knives at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and incredibly sharp ones at greasy spoons. I've never heard of any restaurant owner actually paying somebody to sit down and hone a couple hundred serrated steak knives either way.

Personally, when I run into a dull knife in a restaurant, I discreetly whip out my Al Mar SERE 2000 and it takes care of all my cutting needs without drawing any special attention.

If I were going to carry a knife special for the purpose, I think I'd just grab one of my Douk-douks and go.

They take an awesome edge, hold it very well, are easy to clean, and run about 20 bucks. They're also pretty low profile.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one hand opening Victorinox has a forward tip serrated section on the blade which would work well for a steak knife type blade.

Kueh

Newly Enlightened
Once many years ago, I went to a buffet in Edmonton. I had been there a couple of times. This time I brought a cheap steak knife I had bought from Value Village. I had resharpened it so it cut very well. As I sat down, I brought it out. The "female help" asked me what the knife was for, and I explained that dinner knives are usually dull so I carry around my own. She seemed to be offended because she remarked that if I carry a knife, I should carry my own fork and spoon. She then grabbed all the cutlery on the table and walked away.

No worries, I just grabbed a fork off of another table.

After eating (yes, I stayed), I got up to leave. There was a couple at the next table. The guy asked if he could use my knife. I told him sorry because I was leaving. The "female help" was near the table and demanded that I give him the knife. I refused, stating that it's my knife, not the restaurant's. I walked away , and yes, I never went back to that "place".

That "place" soon closed down and is a car dealership now.

Kueh

Newly Enlightened
I had thought I was strange, carrying a knife for eating purposes.... until I found this thread.

I've experimented with quite a few knives. I found the best dinner knife for me is one with a plain edge. I found the serrations on most steak knives are useless, much like serrations on dinner knives.

My current choices a Victorinox Bantam (Canadian Tire carries it, but it's labelled as a Worker model), Victorinox Electrician, and a paring knife ( http://www.kuhnrikon.com/products/tools/tools.php3?id=210 ).

carrot

Flashaholic
There is one knife that I know of designed especially for such situations. It is called the Keychain Cutter, and it is designed by Pat and Wes Crawford. The wharncliffe (slightly curved even, like a hawkbill) blade is designed so that only the tip touches the ceramic plate and the rest glides through the meat so you don't have to sharpen your knives every time you eat steak. The Crawfords are very nice people and I would buy from them just for the sake of doing business with them.

http://www.crawfordknives.com/key_chain_cutter.htm