Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
nowhere in usa that i know of. its a discontinued model in the usa. available only abroad.

So it is a discontinued model ... either something new is eminent, or there are US restrictions, or this is how a business commands a premium by creating artificial scarcity...

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK :D A few minutes away from hitting SUBMIT! Anyone want to play "light the outpost towers spanning over the Appalachian mountains". :D

Edit: Didn't hit Submit after all. I mean, it seems like the PH series is due for an update. How did I come to this conclusion?

Just reading about the new electronics created for the updated Polarion Night Reaper:

"The heart of the system is a Digitally Regulated AC 50W (at full power) Ballast as opposed to the previous DC ballast. Our electrical engineer has told me this greatly increases lamp life."

"With respect to hardware, instead of extruded body components, each part is CNC machined. The fit and finish is like nothing I have handled in the past, and I have some experience with illumination tools."

"New battery will feature 20% more capacity and a more ruggedized case. It is fully backwards compatible with existing Polarion searchlights."

"Standby for some cool things coming out of Night Reaper Systems!"

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...eaper-(CSWL)&p=4023138&viewfull=1#post4023138

Going to wait awhile and see what's up. Maybe some updated tactical sized HID's are in the works? :popcorn:

Last edited:

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened
Maybe some updated tactical sized HID's are in the works? :popcorn:

Agreed. The FireFoxes guys are making switchable FF4 noises, and there's this:

...XeVision will anounce in about 6 weeks, early March a new offering ( a new bench mark).- (1/16/13 link)

HID tech seems to move slower than LEDs, which is OK because I need more time to save, LOL!! :broke:
The LEDs have really upped their game lately. I expect (hope) high-quality HID prices, options, and availability to improve significantly this year! :popcorn:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I bought the Abyss S and the PH50 used....saves a Ton 'O Dough.

:D

You can't buy a new PH50 in the US - its not even on Polarion's web site, etc. I THINK I remember hearing that the bulb life, due to how hard it was driven in the PH50, was a reliability concern for Polarion.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I did turn on both Polarions last night down by a lake near me, despite the fog/rain...just to see what they looked like outside.

The Abyss was a lot warmer in tint than the PH50....a light amber perhaps? The PH50 was white beamed, bordering on green if I had to shade a choice there...but not actually green. The white snow still looked white...next to the Abyssfully yellow snow.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I THINK I remember hearing that the bulb life, due to how hard it was driven in the PH50, was a reliability concern for Polarion.

There were thermal concerns related to the PH50. As far as I know, only one, but it melted the foam insulation like material behind the reflector. I've heard no other reports of it though.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a question about my abyss.
i noticed my ph50 does not do this.
how long after turn on does the whining stop?
my abyss whines the whole time its on. i can hear it from even 2 feet from my ear.
i thought i read that the whining stops after a few seconds after turn on.
i have checked my battery right after a charge and its above 14.4 so i think i can rule out the battery.
any thoughts?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
My guys returned the Abyss in the ON position, so the battery pack was drained to stone cold dead...it doesn't seem to be recharging on the charger...is there hope to revive it?

:broke:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep at it Teej. I've had difficulties charging mine from time to time. Plug 'er back in and go for it---sometimes takes several tries plugging it in and then reconnecting after an hour or so.

Karl

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Keep at it Teej. I've had difficulties charging mine from time to time. Plug 'er back in and go for it---sometimes takes several tries plugging it in and then reconnecting after an hour or so.

Karl

OK

That's essentially been the plan thus far, a few day's worth so far.

I'll keep at it.

:thanks: