Polarion PH-50 Main Thread (Part 2)

Patriot

Flashaholic
.......:laughing:

That's is a great story TM. I was looking forward to hearing about your visit and it didn't disappoint.

That's exactly the reaction of I hear when showing it to people who "already know what a good light is." To most of the world the incan spot from Target or Checker Auto is the brightest thing they've ever been exposed to. It's hilarious to see the reaction to the PH50 or even a mag623 for that matter.

Thanks for sharing that with us. :cool:

Kapak

Newly Enlightened
Will finally get in the group on November 2nd:twothumbs

Then it will be the "PH50 vs Maxa Beam outdoor testing that will make every neighbors hate me" shootout.:whistle:

I just wished I had it for Halloween though.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Congrats one of the best HID's around. I'll look forward to your pictures.

P.S. I know of another person who just ordered the PH50 but I'll let him announce that himself. Congrats to both of you and welcome to the club. :wave:

Last edited:

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Team Member:

Can I get your permission to use your photos on the Polarion website?
I just really had a chance to "get it". Wow.

I can see light on the bouncing off the walls at the 700+ yard mark...

Kapak

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine today, and woozah! This thing is plain crazy. The beam is beautiful and pretty much anything is awesome. I haven't been able to test it out yet, but it sure is a beater. I'll have to power it up next to that Maxa Beam and really see the difference.

I also got the diffuser along with that 5 coils lanyard. The lanyard is nice to have around and I feel the 5 coils are more than enough to secure the light. Although it secures the light, on me it will still hit the ground if dropped but the coill will reduce the velocity, which it is meant to do anyway.

As for the diffuser, it's a must for close lighting. I couldn't look at the spot at around 10 feet, but with the diffuser I can look at the spot at 2-3 feet without problems.

I then proceeded to check how hot it is in front of the light. It's hot. Darn hot. I tested it as well with my Maxa Beam at high and maximum focus and you could let your hand in front. I just don't want my hand catch on fire with the PH50. Really have to be careful with that thing.

I dunno when I will be able to get some shots of my PH50 as I don't have a camera. But you can be sure that once I can get my hands on one, there will be some serious beamshots going on:twothumbs

Now, if I could only get my hands on a Beast II for about the same price...:sigh:

Kapak

Newly Enlightened
This seems to be a common theme... you spent ~$2,400 on a flashlight, and you don't have a digital camera?

My priorities so far have been like this:
Flashlights > Camera

Also, I've been looking for one for quite some time now. It's just that each time I'm almost decided on which camera to get there's a new light coming around the corner:D

But! Maybe I'll be able to gather someone's S5 IS this weekend. We'll see.

*edit*
Patriot beat me to it!

Last edited:

kaimaikid

Newly Enlightened
Anyone want to buy a slightly well used kidney??? :naughty:

Man you've got to love that PH50 but I guess I'll have to wait till I win lotto... :mecry:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the inner workings of the PH50 the same as the new round ballast and bulb listed on Xevison's web site ?

I doubt it...

IMG_0930.jpg

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the inner workings of the PH50 the same as the new round ballast and bulb listed on Xevison's web site ?

No it is not, our cylinder ballast is dual wattage 30/50 watts (output). It also includes the igniter within the cylinder package.

The Polarion piggy backs the bulb igniter onto the front of the ballast.

Since our igniter is the same size as a std. D1S igniter, we can either use our XeSparQ igniter and a D2 based bulb (P32d) or we can install a standard D1S with the metal shield removed (like Polarion does).

The difference being, either igniter is inside our cylinder. The cylinder is a 2 piece assembly with 2 screws holding the halves together. The ballast is potted into the back half. The XeVision igniter (XeSparQ) or D1S bulb/igniter assembly (Philips or Osram) are installed (easily replaced) in the front half.

Last edited: