Polarion PH-50 Main Thread (Part 2)

Patriot

Flashaholic
I bought two brand new PH-50's some time back. I always wondered about the different outputs on each of them. One showed around 20% brighter than the other. Still have the brightest one and it's a monster :thumbsup:

I can't remember if the one I have is considered "production" or not but it was from the very first batch that shipped. It seems to be impressively bright so chances are I'll never let it go.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
an update for my ph50.

My light was sent back to the dealer and was tested by them and exactly what i was saying happened there also.
They were unable to diagnose it and just replaced it with another. The new one was tested for a few days there and was perfect.
It still works perfectly here and am happy as a clam.

If anyone is on the fence about buying from EdenWebshops.co.uk due to being out of country, dont be, they handled my problem with the utmost respect and we communicated daily while the light was in their possession until the new one was mailed and even sent me an email inquiring about if i was satisfied with it after i took delivery and fully tested the new one. BIG KUDOS TO THEM INDEED.

OH...the ph50 is every bit what they say it is. This light will never be for sale, its that good. :thumbsup:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
an update for my ph50.

My light was sent back to the dealer and was tested by them and exactly what i was saying happened there also.
They were unable to diagnose it and just replaced it with another. The new one was tested for a few days there and was perfect.
It still works perfectly here and am happy as a clam.

If anyone is on the fence about buying from EdenWebshops.co.uk due to being out of country, dont be, they handled my problem with the utmost respect and we communicated daily while the light was in their possession until the new one was mailed and even sent me an email inquiring about if i was satisfied with it after i took delivery and fully tested the new one. BIG KUDOS TO THEM INDEED.

OH...the ph50 is every bit what they say it is. This light will never be for sale, its that good. :thumbsup:

I am glad you have reached that molluscan level of happiness. (I have never been sure why they ARE famously happy, perhaps we don't know about their Polarions...you'd think they'd have the Abyss instead of the PH50 for example...)

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad you have reached that molluscan level of happiness. (I have never been sure why they ARE famously happy, perhaps we don't know about their Polarions...you'd think they'd have the Abyss instead of the PH50 for example...)

Indeed, dont know how that came about myself.
I do have an abyss also but find myself reaching for the ph50 more often for the dog poop duty.
you know...the newness of owning one of the baddest lights available.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I do have an abyss also but find myself reaching for the ph50 more often for the dog poop duty.

....and we have a winner for the flashaholic of the week award! :clap:

A PH50 for dog poop duty! That's dedication man! :)

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots?

hmm, ill go try a couple in a few mins, let me recharge the batt.

ok got some.
sorry for the boring pics, i tried.
still working on those poop pics. ha.

600069a7-92fa-46a5-b976-eda7e37ef513_zps60060afc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

271d7660-2da7-4cd6-885f-ea9f0828f85c_zpsa47cecd9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

4f2de4ad-a5cd-4bed-933d-0b1c27971945_zps70e359b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Early model PF-40 with ballast adjustment screw easily accessible.

I think the newer lights still have them but they are just potted...

Turn that screw (red mark is factory tune setting) to the first mark I made and the light will go POOP.

Minute turn would probably turned it into a PF-50 :eek:oo:...

Don't do it!

fracmeister

Newly Enlightened
So... how do i GET a PH 50? I have been living in CHina which might as well be like living in ...well, CHina... so now that I am back and gainfully employed I desperately need a new toy.

I am having a very hard time thinking of a better one since I already own more expensive guns and knives than I can afford bullets and (ok, the knives don't need much maintenance).

Thanks.

fracmeister

Newly Enlightened
And how can it be that a light from 2008 is still the studliest commercially available flashlight around? Or am i missing something?

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're asking the same exact question I did awhile back, apparently HID flashlights stand the test of time much better than LED flashlights do, HID is a matured technology LED is evolving. But LEDs can't do what HIDs do, they can't 'Throw' a ton of lumens a far distance, so it is incorrect to assume that LED is on the verge of making HIDs obsolete (something that i incorrectly assumed before).

TEEJ

Flashaholic
And how can it be that a light from 2008 is still the studliest commercially available flashlight around? Or am i missing something?

Well, there's not much of a demographic willing to pay well over $1,000 for a flashlight....so, makers don't have much incentive to develop new products, as there's not enough potential customer base to provide an adequate ROI.

Add to it that the light has less than 45 min of run time on high, and is a bit large/heavy to clip to your hat brim/pocket, etc....and the user demographic becomes narrowed to flashaholics with sufficient disposable income, and those in disaster response/military roles where recharging is an option, etc. Add in the economic downturn that hit ~ 2008, and there's not that much interest in new ventures compared to say BEFORE 2008. In 2013, sure, things are getting back on track.

An HID can create a very small, very bright emission source that LED's will probably never be able to match point for point. Generally, the smaller and brighter the emission source, the further a light can throw.

So, once developed, it simply works very well. There's not too many ways to make it work BETTER, more watts means less run time and/or a larger power source/need for additional heat sinking, perhaps new battery technology, etc, but, a larger head and/or battery reduces portability/adds weight, and so forth.

So, a new HID that worked better, so far, would not be better ENOUGH to make people spend $ on it, given current technology/economic conditions.

The LED's came in like the rodents when the Dinosaurs got wobbly. Much better portability and run time, prices well below the Polarion's price points, etc. Typically lower overall lumens, and, range, but, enough of both, given the price, and the LED gained more and more market share.