Police Laser Detectors

crushin

Newly Enlightened
Alpg88 is correct. Laser detection is nothing more than a warning to pull over for a ticket. The latest V1, which I have doesn't even always alert you to Laser. It's great for KA radar, which is still highly used in OK, but I have seen Laser recently becoming more frequent. Most Laser jammers are junk. ALP Laser makes the best in most opinions, but it's expensive. Check out RDforum.org to learn more. I used to frequent the site years ago and still check it out every once in a while. There are some highly knowledgeable members there, but I'd advise to search first any topics as they typically have already been discussed. My advice is to follow a "rabbit" on the road, use Waze or V1 has a few apps on rdforum that work well.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal weapon of choice. Mine (earlier model) does laser, but barring some lucky 'bounce' doesn't help like most thihk it would. I'd rather have it than not, but as pointed out, it's not the primary reason I use a V1. There are also some benign light sources that can run me crazy on some roads, so I'd prefer a way to disable that specific function. I just have to cut down the alert volume in such situations so it doesn't run me crazy with 'falses'. (It sounds like a very loud, European emergency vehicle siren.)

Madmax908

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I get to use this line twice in one day!
Retired LEO Officer (25+ years) here that was assigned to Highway Patrol...

In the county I worked in, and in New York State, there was a safeguard built into the speed detection process to benefit the motorist.
First, I had to be certified in the use of Radar/Laser. That certification was my license to transmit radar and laser waves accurately for a legitimate purpose. Try transmitting (jamming) near sensitive areas, and you get to meet some alphabet government agencies.

Second, the observing/issuing officer had to do an "independent estimation of speed" before using laser/radar. Your estimate had to be within 5 miles an hour. A summons could be written based upon that estimate alone. So if I estimated 65 in my head, and the radar/your speed read 60, I could write a summons for 60. If my estimate was 66, I would not write the summons. If you were speeding in my estimate, but I could not get a radar/laser reading, you still were stopped regardless of radar absorbing paint or jamming equipment.

With that in mind, we were trained to not use laser detection through a window as it may distort the signal. Therefore when using laser, I was always perpendicular to the roadway I was targeting (with the window down). Combine this with time needed for independent estimation of speed, most of the summons were issued between 800-1200 feet. (The laser gun would also give you the distance the speed was measured at.)

Think about it for a minute. Most patrol vehicles have very reflective lettering/department crest on the doors. If a driver pays attention for them, (usually in the center median) laser using police vehicles stick out like a sore thumb. This knowledge, along with use of Waze has served me well if I find myself inadvertently over the limit.

Yes, don't go any more than 8 miles over the speed limit. Actually works really well too!
Also to remember, most insurance policies do not surcharge you for speeding convictions, up to 9 miles an hour over the limit. ie 64 in a 55mph zone, so kaichu dento is right.

Last edited:

Madmax908

Newly Enlightened
Waze is a cellphone app that lets you report on road conditions, such as traffic, weather, and law enforcement. This is so you can move over and slow down when they have someone pulled over, who doesn't have Waze ;)