Possible new hobby

Briggz

Newly Enlightened
OK so I am Very new here just got the light fetish, I have had the knife fetish for years. Take a look here

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=713

check out the Busse knives, hey I stand to make asoluting nothing from this post. I like the knives an dthe folks on the forum.

I have to admit though this site has better smilies :bumpit:

Santelmo

Enlightened
CroMAGnet said:
I've been doing a lot of research online and I went to a surplus store and held a bunch of different models.

The Spyderco kumo was too small for my hand and the nice Benchmade Fixedblade Griptilian had a flatish handle so it wasn't really comfortable. The Rat-3 handle was too short.

So definately a fixed blade of quality (maybe two :naughty:) about 7.5" to 9" OL and a nice small unobtrusive sheath.

I'm really leaning towards the Bark River Huntsman over the Fox River because of the flare on the handle to help prevent grip sliding onto the blade. Ouch. But that Fox is sweeet.

Anyone know what kind of handle can I get on the Bark River Huntsman that would be the best for gripping hot, cold, wet or dry?

I still like the F1 Flakniven and that one with the Rubber Handle F1 looks really good too.

And I definitely like the look of those Bob Dozier knives. Like the KM-6 or KM-3

Can any of you knife guys and gals comment on these below?

Doug Ritter RSK MK3 CPM S30V hardened to 58-60 HRC

Moran Drop Point Skinner Hunting Knife by Spyderco Knives VG-10

Spyderco Lum Tanto AUS-8

TOPS Sea Wolfe 154CM

This KA-BAR Looks nice too.

Honestly, I can't comment on any of the knives you've mentioned since I've never handled any of them. However, your first three choices; namely Bark River, Fallkniven and Bob Dozier, ALL have a rock-solid rep among serious outdoorsmen and bushcrafters. BRK and Fallkniven both have full convex grinds which are said to be the best compromise between cutting efficiency and edge strength. Mr. Dozier's treatment of his D2 steel in his wares is also revered. I'd really don't know which to pick really (maybe a BRK Snowy River in maroon canvas micarta on the top of my head).

BTW, if the RAT-3 is smallish for you, you can always get the larger and recently released RAT-5. The RAT team also has proven designs in their knives.

Good luck with your search!

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
One more note on the Bark Rivers. If you do decide to go that route, I suggest you check out DLT Trading Company

They are the wholesale suppliers to all other BRKT dealers, so they always have the largest supply and most choices in handle materials.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for not replying sooner...some software drivers made the system :(

The BAKCA show is at:

Crown Plaza Cabana
4290 El Camino Real
Palo Alto
(650) 496-1939

Sat 10-5
Sun 10-3
1 day admission is $7 and a weekend pass is $10.

The club web page has been down so I don't have a table listing available. TAD Gear is usually there and last year Jack Alvares was selling SF's for about 15-20% of SF retail.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up my new Lion Slayer! This is one nasty Evel looking vicious piece of steel. :rock:

Barry Dawson 4" Trailing Point
DawsonTP.gif

DawsonTP_1.gif

DawsonTP_2.gif

Notice the line
DawsonTP_close.gif

I also picked up a little 3" Ken Onion Leek in red ano (the one on the right)
Leek.gif

CLHC

Flashaholic
That Dawson looks slick! Is that Microtech QD/UT(?) JimH's or. . .

Congrats on your "new hobby" Tony!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
Is that Microtech QD/UT(?) JimH's
Yes, it's mine. It is now CA legal - imagine that, a CA legal UTX70.

Tony great purchases. That Dawson is one serious piece of steel.

However, for lion slaying, I prefer a little more distance between my hand and the lion's mouth, like with my K-BAR. Ritter Griptillian shown for size reference.
CIMG0368.jpg

For those hikes of yours where you blaze your own trail, you need a golok for whacking bushes - razor sharp for the full length of the blade.

CIMG0364.jpg

To add a golock to your collection, here is where I got mine (Survival Golok L) - Valiant Trading company. Here is an ebay distributor for Valiant Company knives. Bark River also makes them. Here is a source for Bark river goloks.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
JimH said:
It is now CA legal - imagine that, a CA legal UTX70.
Should have figured that it was your's Jim. So it is now legal here in this "most restrictive state" of Cali-Fornia to possess a Microtech UTX-70? Whoa! ! !

jefft

Enlightened
Cal legal Microtech UTX70? Hmmm... I may have to rotate out my DKD Cal legal auto for this one. I thought the blade length on the UTX70 was just under 2.5 inches?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
angry.gif
Damn you, Tony. How dare you start a new hobby that is addictive and contagious, then have the nerve to post about it so as to infect others.
hitting2.gif

signs131.gif
I just ordered my second knife since you started this.
banghead.gif

Last edited: