Possible to Mod a Spark to Full Flood by Removing Reflector?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
After studying the photo of the Spark with bezel removed, above, I don't think the light loss would be catastrophic. Look at the inside of the Spark's barrel...raw aluminum. Many of the side-aimed photons would hit it and make their way out on a bounce.

Better solutions exist of course: polished barrel, or no- barrel purpose-made Spark Flood, but I really doubt people opting for pulling the reflector will be groping around in the dark.

Many photons? Maybe... a few... definitely... You can get a reflection off the hood of your car from the sun and it may even blind you a bit, but imagine if your hood was mirror polished...
Go with diffuser film or that frosted lens they sell... Or someone could send me their Spark and I can dig through my box of optics and reflectors to see if I can come up with a floody cheap mod. :D

Shao

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
I've experimented quite a bit with various diffusion methods, even going so far as to bead-blast lenses. Never been thrilled with the results, tends to leave a "directional flood" at best and a "mushy hotspot" at worst. Doesn't spread the beam nearly as much as hoped, not even, and dims the beam as well. Works well for some people but just not my cuppa tea.

I'm curious if the Spark can be modified by taking out the reflector, and whether the bare emitter would give a smooth, even, floody beam. It might not, I have no idea. Just asking.

Because I would LOVE a pure flood that could put out over 100 lumen for 8 hours...!
I have pure flood for well over 8hrs. at what looks like about 120L.+ It goes like this - Surefire 6P, Malkoff M61LL., S/F FM34 Diffuser, 1x17670 AW.

For an even longer runtime (why?), Bored 9P, 2x18500 AW's And the above. I'm told 12+hrs are possible in a 2x 18650 set-up; I haven't tried this yet!
Don't forget the diffuser.