Post your home-made lanyard photos! (Part 2)

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is some nice work. But I must say, the specific style of that lanyard does not look as if it is very practical. If you lose your grip, you will lose the light. I thought lanyards were supposed to go around your wrist to catch the light in the event that you lose grip?

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hi B,

I agree with the others, that is some very nice braid-work. I like the bead as well, curiously what's the material?

-John

Hi J,

Actually, what B made for his Mac is considered a fob rather than a lanyard. You are correct that a lanyard is designed to prevent dropping and losing items, but a fob is also a very useful tool.

As B has created in this case, in addition to the decorative aspect, a fob is often designed to make deploying small/EDC items from a pocket, bag, purse, etc much easier. For example, when deep-pocket carrying an EDC light, knife, car keys, etc., a fob provides quick and easy access w/o using a clip. The attachment lead or loop can be made long enough for the fob to just barely or completely hang out of the pocket and easy to grab and pull.

Additionally, in the example of pocket-carrying an item, to prevent possible dropping or losing that item, the opposite end of the fob can have a second lead that is attached in a variety of ways to a belt loop for example.

-John

Last edited:

benthiccracker

Enlightened
That is right I did make a fob not a lanyard. I am new to paracord and it is common that folks like me misuse the terms. I made the fob out of turquoise and gold 550. The beads are turquoise. They have small gold looking veins in them, that's why I chose the gold as an accent color. I bought them from Michael's, a craft store. They were on a monofilament string and the holes were tiny, I had to drill them out, which was difficult with my limited tools. I am not completely happy with the attachment point on the Mac. Any suggestions?

benthiccracker

Enlightened
Here is a necklace I made for my SS 40 DD. I got a 15mm McGizmo SS clip and some split rings from a fishing tackle shop. I used them as a clasp for the chain I got in the small craft section at my local Walmart. Total cost: $10
y7e5ybyj.jpg

S1LVA

Enlightened
Toby_pra, a user from Germany did a run of them a while back. (a year or so? I can't remember)

S1LVA

jcalvert

Enlightened
I just recently got into making lanyards. I love it!

Nothing fancy...

S1LVA

Very nice AS! You plaited the square sinnet portion beautifully! I'm even more impressed with how you were able to draw the lanyard knots up close to the sinnet and the bead. You're ready for a double lanyard knot! ;) -JC

kestrel140

Newly Enlightened
If you google 'knitting spool', you'll get plenty of hits to look thru that may help you get an idea of what's being done with working the cord on the spools.

Here's a two-tone lanyard/wrist strap made with 2mm cord on a 4-peg knitting spool.

CIMG4193.jpg

CIMG4194.jpg
I like your lanyard the knot/stitch, is impressive. Does it unravel easily if needed? The only worry I have is that if I drop/loss it in the yard, someone may mistake it as a garter snake. Perhaps that was what you are going for. Here in Ontario they are quite common and the resemblance is amazing. Cheers

Stormdrane

Enlightened
I like your lanyard the knot/stitch, is impressive. Does it unravel easily if needed? The only worry I have is that if I drop/loss it in the yard, someone may mistake it as a garter snake. Perhaps that was what you are going for. Here in Ontario they are quite common and the resemblance is amazing. Cheers

Made with a knitting spool, these types of lanyards can be taken apart quickly/easily if the cord were needed for something else. ;)

jcalvert

Enlightened
Made with a knitting spool, these types of lanyards can be taken apart quickly/easily if the cord were needed for something else. ;)

Hello Stormdrane,

I'm going to move from a three pin knitting spool to a four pin so I can knit a two-color lanyard like the one you made. I can't quite tell for certain, but it looks like you alternated the two colors between the four pins (i.e., color x = pins 1 & 3, color y = 2 & 4), is that correct? Thank you!

-John

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Made a new bracelet (bright red and camo pink) for my 10yr old as the pink cobra bracelet no longer fits her.

DSCF4982.jpg
DSCF4985.jpg

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words. Even better, she's been wearing all day :D

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! This ain't lanyards, this is art! You guys are making some really cool stuff.

Me, I did a koppo wrap on my L4 (that's since gone to the marketplace) because I wasn't happy with just clipping to the pocketclip, wanted something a bit more robust.
Finished the end off with a figure 8 knot.

DSCN6584_zpsa81aa6ef.jpg

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Hello Stormdrane,

I'm going to move from a three pin knitting spool to a four pin so I can knit a two-color lanyard like the one you made. I can't quite tell for certain, but it looks like you alternated the two colors between the four pins (i.e., color x = pins 1 & 3, color y = 2 & 4), is that correct? Thank you!

-John

Yes, one color across the other and taking turns working each until you reach the length you want... ;)

Heres a few recent knotty Grimlocs...

o226966345.jpg