power outage fan

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If UPS were cheap it wouldn't be a bad idea. I was looking for something between $8-20 that I could either build easily or buy to also recommend others when the power conks out.

Next thing someone will be recommending a portable generator to power a fan, might as well power a small air conditioner instead with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think I just found what I have been looking for. I was bored and went to walmart and took a further look at their battery fans including a 12v oscillating car fan which looked interesting.
I found two ozark brand fans, one was 9v (6D) and had a 4 watt fluorescent light in it, the other was a 10 inch box fan using 12v (8D) and has in addition a 12v power input.
It is supposed to run 24 hours not sure on low or high though. Both fans were about $13+tax and I am going to try to pick one up when I get my miniscule paycheck. I may just use it as a table fan plugged into a 700ma 12v walwart.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used an inverter and ups to power a fan. Man, the fan doesnt seem to come up to full speed and both make a bit of noise. I dont think inverters are great with electric motors or heaters.

Yeah, I need to head to walmart to get me a battery powered table top fan I can use at work and maybe in my lap on the bus. I sweat a lot in this warmer weather.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You may like the ozark one that uses 6D cells with a 4 watt fluoro on it, about the right size to sit on a lap. If I had one I would put a DC input jack on it and use it off an SLA with a resistor or voltage convertor.

smallac

Newly Enlightened
Hmm...._Next thing someone will be recommending a portable generator to power a fan, might as well power a small air conditioner instead with it. :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Best to keep it simple; car/marine battery to inverter to fan of your choice. Some of the smallest portable a/c units only use ~600 watts, so if you've got a big enough inverter, it's a possibility..

olephart

Newly Enlightened
Wally World has a 2 x D fan with 3VDC 500mA plug for less than $10. The wall wart is not included. It's called "O2 Cool". I bought one and tested it. Draws 230mA on low and 360mA on high. It's the 5" model. They claim 40 hours on low, but I think 30 would be closer to the truth.

It moves a lot of air for it's size and seems pretty efficient. I liked it so much I bought another one.

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
2005 :eek: Wow, that is some crazy thread resurrection.

Now that we are in the future I am sure they make something that will meet your needs.

Genesis

Newly Enlightened
You may like the ozark one that uses 6D cells with a 4 watt fluoro on it, about the right size to sit on a lap. If I had one I would put a DC input jack on it and use it off an SLA with a resistor or voltage convertor.
Well, I had an Ozark fan back in 1995, like when this thread is from :). It didn't blow very much air so I never used it enough to see how long the batteries lasted. And the tabs to keep the lid on the battery compartment break easily.

I liked the full-size O2Cool (12volt?) fan from Walmart much better. Blew a decent amount of air and ran long enough. I keep a couple around for when the next hurricane hits.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I picked up one of the 12v fans and 2 of the 3v O2 fans at walmart on clearance in the fall awhile back. I use the 3v as a desk fan and have a 2AA battery holder attached to it so I can feed it nimh batteries. The 12v fan was nice during a power outage in 2007 when were heating the house with the burners on the kitchen stove I had the fan blowing the air out of the kitchen into the rest of the house till the SLA finally died on me.

Latest posts