Powergenix NiZn Poor Performance

bcwang

Enlightened
The discoloration is caused by liquid electrolyte escaping through the vent when it activates. Therefore, the discoloration is the first evidence that the cells are beginning to leak. If you keep cycling the cells under the same conditions, significant amounts of liquid electrolyte eventually come out of the cells.

I have not been able to get more than 20 cycles with a 3C continuous discharge (4.5 A) and manufacture's recommended charge protocol before I see visible leakage in the form of liquid electrolyte escaping through the vent.

Cheers,
BG

Do the cells get very hot under this load? I wonder if the high current is causing the damage or just the temperature rising too high compromising the seal.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Do the cells get very hot under this load? I wonder if the high current is causing the damage or just the temperature rising too high compromising the seal.

They get quite warm, but are not uncomfortable to handle.

Obviously, the 4.5 A continuous current draw is too high for them. Whether or not they are getting too hot, or there is another problem, I just don't know.

Either way, these cells really are not any good for any of my hotwire mods. I will be sticking with Eneloops and Elite 1700s for the time being.

Cheers,
Q

bcwang

Enlightened
They get quite warm, but are not uncomfortable to handle.

Obviously, the 4.5 A continuous current draw is too high for them. Whether or not they are getting too hot, or there is another problem, I just don't know.

Either way, these cells really are not any good for any of my hotwire mods. I will be sticking with Eneloops and Elite 1700s for the time being.

Cheers,
Q

I heard the elite 1700s are not performing like they used to, like the manufacturer changed something. I'm waiting on the elite replacements that is still being sorted out, hope they perform better than the original elites.

Too bad for the nizn, I hope I learn from these posts without damaging some of my own equipment to find out on my own.

sterr11

Newly Enlightened
The Powergenix all went in the garbage (out of the house) today. I had been using 2 in my AA mag with a std bulb and NiteEyes tailswitch. It had been sitting in my desk drawer unused for about a week, so this morning in the early morning I turned it on to look for something under my desk. The light immediately made a soft POP! noise and vented gas which I felt come out of the rear of the tailswitch. The light continued to work, but I immediately turned it off. I removed the batteries, and both looked normal and neither was even warm. I took a voltage reading with my Fluke 8025B and they read 1.681 and 1.693. This kind of scared me so I figured its not really worth risking something more serious happening. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what could have happened?

MarioJP

Enlightened
I had these cells vent. Heard a hiss, and it was coming from one of the cells. Also noticed the white, top the color has changed.

Now all of these cells are garbage they hardly hold any charge after sitting there for couple of days.

bcwang

Enlightened
Maybe instead of going into the garbage you guys should contact powergenix and tell them what happened. Maybe they'll want the cells back to do some testing and fix the problem in the future.

We are an enthusiast group and have more to say to them that may help improve their batteries.