Predator / Predator Pro. Tactical lights.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
It's written "High Intensity LED
Ultra Long Distance" on my V3 Pro HI.

I have the version that takes 3 twists for enabled desabled the strobe. Does yours need 5 twists? If yes, you have the latest UI and there is a "possibility" that Armytek has removed the HI on the head.

photo libre

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like ven's said, just take a look at the emitter. The XPL HD and XPL HI are easily distinguishable.

west aussie

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks for that guys. My V3 HI is currently at work so I will check tomorrow. I did a quick test with my V3 and V3 HI and I know everyone has mentioned that the HI version doesnt throw to the specs that Armytek have claimed, but I wanted to see for myself and was hoping for good results. The test result looked like the V3 actually threw further than the V3 HI...

I will spend some more time on the weekend comparing the throw of each but I was disappointed with the initial results. The quick comparison I did was just to aim both lights at a tree approx 25m away and the V3 certainly lit the tree up better than the V3 HI.
Will do some more comparing on the weekend and report back with some pics.

I hope Armytek take these things seriously.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
From tonight's 10.07 mile trail run with loaded pack. Running with a full pack is kinda fun!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my 3rd Predator today. So now I have the non pro XB-H warm, the cool white XP-L HI Pro and now I also have the warm XP-L HI Pro. All 3 are incredible. I really wish AT would have sent an updated manual with the light. After giving AT an earful about how i could not activate strobe as per the manual it came with they tell me its because their new batches of lights have new firmware. So it is not 5 head twists to get into and out of strobe it is TEN! Oh and the mode layout has now changed. With the head loosened its two strobe modes. You can also switch the light to where you can twist the head once while in turbo and it steps down to main 3. I liked the last set up better but oh well I am just happy to know they actually are working right. The output of the warm XP-L HI Pro and the cool white version to my eyes is equal. Only the XB-H has obviously less output visually.

west aussie

Newly Enlightened
Just got my 3rd Predator today. So now I have the non pro XB-H warm, the cool white XP-L HI Pro and now I also have the warm XP-L HI Pro. All 3 are incredible. I really wish AT would have sent an updated manual with the light. After giving AT an earful about how i could not activate strobe as per the manual it came with they tell me its because their new batches of lights have new firmware. So it is not 5 head twists to get into and out of strobe it is TEN! Oh and the mode layout has now changed. With the head loosened its two strobe modes. You can also switch the light to where you can twist the head once while in turbo and it steps down to main 3. I liked the last set up better but oh well I am just happy to know they actually are working right. The output of the warm XP-L HI Pro and the cool white version to my eyes is equal. Only the XB-H has obviously less output visually.

My XB-H (non pro, cool white) seems more focused than my XP-L HI (non pro, cool white). Have you noticed this? The hot spot just looks more focused and appears to throw further. I have emailed Armytek but haven't had a chance to take photos yet.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
quite honestly all 3 have the exact same beam profile. Small very bright defined hot spot surrounded by a very thick yet also defined corona and bright very usable spill. All three have zero artifacts in the beams. The tint out of the warm XB-H is actually my favorite out of the 3 despite the obvious output difference.

Raysbeam

Enlightened
Hello armytek, I'm wondering why after a month and a half my replacement Predator pro XP-L is now flickering? I've emailed you three times and I'm being ignored. It's not like Sandra to not message me back.

veedo

Newly Enlightened
Anyone think the v3 just doesn't feel as quality as the 2.5? Also the lettering on mine is really crooked.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go to thinking as to why the Predator V3 Limited Edtition with XPL-HI doesn't throw as well as it should, and it could very well be due to the reflector. Most lights tuned for throw have rather large openings at the bottom that the LED is centered in, making for lots of room around the LED at the base of the reflector. The reflector of the Predator Pro LE though, has a small opening at the bottom of the reflector, and the LED takes up the majority of the space.

I'm no expect on reflectors and light focusing, but it seems like this could be part of the reason for the Predator v3 LE's lackluster performance, and would also explain fairly well why there's a rather large and bright corona to the LE's beam profile, while every other throwy light has a defined hotspot with small corona.

Would Armytek or anybody who's experienced chime in on this?

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

What are the pros to the XB-H? The output doesn't seem anymore than the XP-G2?

start90a

Newly Enlightened
What are the pros to the XB-H? The output doesn't seem anymore than the XP-G2?

I could see that XBH is a little bit more efficient at low levels. In Turbo it draws a lot of current for a not incredible output. I think they only wanted to change led to push on marketing... Anyway is not bad: 43 kcd at turbo.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
XB-H has tint specific to only it. It is extremely efficient according to Crees data sheets. Now being lucky enough to have a LNIB V2.5 Pro I kind of see the XB-H as the true successor. XB-H output is more than enough, range slightly beats my TK32 which is saying a LOT and it does not get hot like the Pro HI's do. Glad I got the non pro version as the only difference is the pro XB-H has one extra moonlight mode. The tint out of my warm white XB-H is incredible. Beam definition is easier to make out at the lower output level.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Advertised XPL HI version throw reduced to 47,750 CD, from 70,000CD previously claimed.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Predator Pro pics

IMG_00611_zpslzc0ri3i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Above is the XP-L HI CW. The pic kind of got overwhelmed by how BRIGHT even the XP-L HI PP is. Still use all of them. White wall. The tint captured here is very accurate.

IMG_0042_zpsxehoiq54.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
XP-L HI Pred Pro CW outdoors. White fence is 20 feet away. Here one can more readily see the V3 Predators unique small hotspot with thick corona then usable spill beam profile. Once again tint here is dead on.

IMG_01351_zpsunhy1p5f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
My XP-L V3 crew. Still very much in use today.

My V2.5 Pred Pro CW is still one of the greatest lights I have ever had. Despite being down on power vs the later Preds the reflector in that thing is SO GOOD the beam is flat out amazing.