Princeton Tec Quad review - FR

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah... cromagnet is right... you really can't compare a quad to an apex... or any single piece unit headlamp to a dual piece...

if the quad had the same 4 AA batteries that the apex has i bet you'd see somebetter regulated runtime :p

regardless.... since I love PT, I purchased a Quad... I wanted to get the super bright version before they switch to a lower high output setting... I'll be VERY interested to see how NiMH's regulates the LEDs on high...

If its anything like the EOS (which they have almost exact regulation patterns)... we'll see a nice increase in regulated high... it won't be insaine... but considering that the medium mode is inbetween the high and med settings of the eos.. and that lasts for 6 hours on alks... i bet i'll use medium almost all the time unless i need a lot of light all of a sudden...

its like anything... if you know the weaknesses of your system, you can plan and fix it

i'll be getting a review up once I get it in the mail, with runtime charts...

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apples and Oranges perhaps but still both fruits...

Got both of them and like both of them! Both can work in similar situations…

On mine the flood on the Apex is not much different than the Quad at all. There LED similarity is what makes a comparison worthy IMHO. I can barely tell the difference side by side between the two. Quad does have a little more throw with Apex slightly more flood. I think quickbeam said one of his led's was pointing off-center. (Apex has luxeon and led's) I duno?

I use mine for working on equipment and the 14hrs (led's) of full bright regulation stands out. When working on something an hour can go by very quickly. The Apex has a center strap and is very comfortable to me. Having the luxeon for throw and led's for close-up is awesome for $65; a great bargain. The emitter can easily be changed for better tint.

The quad is fabulously light weight and comfortable. 1hr of regulated time on high with much more at medium. For hiking and packing I can see why everybody likes the light weight. Your going hiking so is the luxeon and added weight necessary when you have 3 other flashlights with you anyway! Wish they would have made the low lower on both units... Could see how even low on either could blow your night vision...

A case for apples and oranges but if I had to get one it would have to be the Apex!

Cheers

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
well... for me... i have a flashlight very close when hiking/camping... that aid's as my luxeon for throwing and spotting... but for walking/hiking I want a lightweight small light... that illuminates my path...

i don't know... i just feel already like a dork for wearing a small headlamp... let alone a apex head crown ;) Overall size is important to me... To be able to slip my EOS/Quad in a BDU pocket is very handy! I don't know if the old apex could do that comfortably?

someday I'll buy a two piece headlamp... but I feel that those designs for just strick heavy headlamp usage... almost like the StenLight... and currently I don't have a strong need...

But I agree with a lot of what your saying... the 25 lumens of high on the LED's for 8+ hours is dang impressive.... and by far, if I was to buy a two piece today it would be an easy choice to choose the apex (due to price/features it is unparrelled in the market)

Thanks for your commparisions and observations Lips! :)

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick update. I went out yesterday and bought the new Petzl Zipka Plus with the 80% brighter LEDs. I returned it today. Even though it would eb nice to have that zip strap hangin' around.

I picked up the PT Quad and got $16 back! So I pick it up at lunch and put in the fresh maxell AAA's that came with the light. 12pm...

Well, it's 12hours later ant this thing is still going. Although it doesn't go to high or even medium anymore and not blinking low battery warning yet. The light level is about the same as the low level on a fresh battery. Maybe a little lower but plenty of light.

The Zipka was lower in output and blue'r in beam quality and no regulation and +$16 so I'm happy with my decision. I still think the Zipka is a nice light though and I may attempt another go at modding it or the Tac Tikka Plus with some high quality 5mm LEDs.

Now I have eight brand E2 Energizer L92 batteries and 3 or them will be sacrificed for Quad runtime duty tomorrow. I remember to use my LUX meter to check the regulation.

PT Quad = :twothumbs

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx Jar.

I just finished a little runtime test on HIGH using the Lithium primaries. I got double the runtime to 50% and then I stopped the test. Also the discharge curve was much more level. Here are the results in number format.

I turned the headlamp on high and placed it on my LUX meter. I looked up at the LUX meter every once in a while to check on the regulation. These readings are just a guide to light output not LUX.

Time - Output
0:00 - 1020
0:03 - 950
0:13 - 890
0:18 - 875
0:45 - 842
1:50 - 836
2:10 - 832
2:40 - 829
3:20 - 821
4:00 - 810
4:40 - 700
4:45 - 500 approx 50% from start of test

Not too bad, getting 4 hours and about 15 minutes of fairly flat discharge on High using Lithium L92 batteries.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks cromagnet for that data! Thats about what I thought the Lithium's would do... thats great! The PT EOS does VERY good on lithiums... so I thought that the Quad would do the same...

thanks again!

Latest posts