Production CREE XR-E Testing

*Retired*
Some are just with a Canon S3 IS camera, some are done holding the S3 IS looking into the microscope eyepiece.

Updated the naming errors I noticed.

Thanks, my pleasure.

If you'd like to see the Seoul P4 that uses the CREE EZ1000 die, here is the direct link to the photo posts:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1769585&postcount=94
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1771587&postcount=106
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1773282&postcount=132

Here is the link for the thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=146607&page=3&pp=40

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
NewBie, cxcellent! Thanks for taking the time to throw those images out. I don't think most people realize the scale of the die.. I mean it's less than a mm square (right?). The LED looks, and operaties, like a solar (PV) cell in reverse.

It's good the see CREE is serious about trying to keep the actual p/n junction cool. It's very difficult to measure the junction temperature directly. So I imagine a cheaper implementation might appear to run cooler, but that would only be because the design does not let as much heat flow out of the working junction. So the CREE parts may apprear to run hotter, but that's simply because they have better thermal management, while the cheaper die actually has a warmer working junction. Very very important for the reliability of these devices - they must stay cool as possible for long life and reliability.

Does the SiC ESD serve two purposes - static protection and heatsink/thermal path? I'm curious what CREE did to improve the efficiency of the XRE - was the actual quantum efficiency of the junction improved, or is it more a matter of changing the die construction so more light can escape? Don't imagine anyone can shed some light on this (bad pun intended)?

You might find this interview of interest. Shuji Nakamura was one of the pioneers in the development of high powered blue LEDs and violet laser diodes:
http://www.sciencewatch.com/jan-feb2000/sw_jan-feb2000_page3.htm

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
NewBie, cxcellent! Thanks for taking the time to throw those images out. I don't think most people realize the scale of the die.. I mean it's less than a mm square (right?). The LED looks, and operates, like a solar (PV) cell in reverse.

It's good the see CREE is serious about trying to keep the actual p/n junction cool. It's very difficult to measure the junction temperature directly. So I imagine a cheaper implementation might appear to run cooler, but that would only be because the design does not let as much heat flow out of the working junction. So the CREE parts may apprear to run hotter, but that's simply because they have better thermal management, while the cheaper die actually has a warmer working junction. Very very important for the reliability of these devices - they must stay cool as possible for long life and reliability.

Does the SiC ESD serve two purposes - static protection and heatsink/thermal path? I'm curious what CREE did to improve the efficiency of the XRE - was the actual quantum efficiency of the junction improved, or is it more a matter of changing the die construction so more light can escape? Don't imagine anyone can shed some light on this (bad pun intended)?

You might find this interview of interest. Shuji Nakamura was one of the pioneers in the development of high powered blue LEDs and violet laser diodes:
http://www.sciencewatch.com/jan-feb2000/sw_jan-feb2000_page3.htm

Gryloc

Enlightened
Newbie,

I have a few questions for you. I hope that you understand what I am talking about...

I didnt think of this before, but how is the ESD carrier wired? I know the top of the die has two negative contacts, and the bottom side of the die, that is metallurgically bonded to the carrier, is the positive side. What about the carrier? There is a bond wire on the top of the carrier that goes to the positive copper pad, so is that entire side electrically connected to the bottom (+) side of the die? Then what about the bottom side that is soldered to the same positive copper pad? Is this soldered joint just for thermal conductivity? Is the carrier of the XR-E similar to Lumiled's carrier? I mean, is both the positive and negative contacts of the ESD diode on the very top side? Like this:

NewBie said:
luxdie4.jpg

The reason I ask is because if the very bottom side of the ESD carrier is electrically neutral or attached to the positive side, I now know how to design the solder pads.

If they are neutral, I can have one larger pad for all four dies to be soldered to, with the bond wires going off to the side to their own pads.

If the bottom of the ESD carrier is the exact same as the positive (like after the actual ESD diode part), then I could really do away with the single little positive bond wire. With this, I can create four separate pads that attach to the negative side of the next series connected LED, and only have two bond wires to have to attach instead of three. This is how I designed the first LED module. With that drawing, I didn't have to worry about the ESD carrier and I just had to solder the positive side of the die to the pad for electrical contact.

If the bottom of the ESD diode is not neutral, but it also is not the main positive contact for the LED and ESD diode, then things will be more difficult.

Finally, do you know how the SSC P4 is wired? I see the negative wires disappearing to the side to connect to the negative lead. The bottom side of the die is attached to the aluminum slug, which is attached to the bottom side of the little diode cube. Then the top of that diode has a bond wire disappears and is attached to the positive lead. So does that mean if you attach the positive power wire (from the circuit or battery) to the aluminum slug, it bypasses the ESD diode and the whole LED is susceptible to damage?

This is interesting stuff. I always liked thinking and working on the micro scale of things. Thanks...

-Tony

*Retired*
The bottom side of the ESD diode in the XR-E is minus. Topside of the Silicon Carbide ESD diode is positive as is the bottom of the die.

Wire runs from common junction to + substrate pad.

Two minus wires run from top side of die to minus substrate pad.

Seoul P4 has die epoxied to slug. A tiny ESD diode that sits off to the side is attached to the same slug. This is why the slug is the + connection.

Three wires, two from the Seoul P4 CREE EZ1000 die minus, as well as one from the ESD diode run to the minus lead.

Then if you look carefully, there is yet another wire, the fourth one, which runs from the positive lead to the slug. If you happen to blow this wire, you can still power it by attaching your + wire to the slug.

No bypassing of the ESD diode, unless you cut into the dome and cut the ESD diode wire, but these die are rather static sensitive, so I'd not recommend doing that.

Be careful with the Seoul P4, don't push or load the dome, you can sever the bond wires on accident by the sheer forces, since a hard silicone instead of a gel was used inside you don't get much relief from the forces.

Gryloc

Enlightened
Ahh, thanks. That makes perfect sense. I forgot that the ESD diode was in parallel with the die. It never looked like they were parallel just by looking at the internals of the package. Interesting setup...

Great. Now I see how to wire this thing up. This will be tough because I have to deal with three bond wires and the designs of the module will be far more complex.

I know the ESD diode made of Silicon Carbide has great thermal conductivity, but I wonder why Cree doesn't solder the dies straight to the pad. It appears to have plenty of real-estate on the board under the dome, compared to Lumileds parts that have very limited space. I was just thinking.

I see that fourth bond wire in one of your closeup pictures. Interesting! What is the power handling of a single, average length bond wire? It is nice knowing that if the fourth bond wire fails, I have a way to power it back up.

*Retired*
My understanding...

Different materials have different co-efficients of thermal expansion (CTE). So, when to items of differing material change temperature (lets say raise), they actually expand. But materials made from different "matter", expand at different rates. So, when you bond two items with different expansion rates or different CTE's, you get a lot of stress between them. Usually the bond fails, but sometimes you can get failure of the materials near the interface, or you cause enough stress to fracture it in other areas.

The SiC matches the CTE of the InGaN fairly well, and falls between the solder/substrate, and the InGaN, so it reduces the stresses at each interface.

There are also some additional advantages for crystal structure, or lattice, and growing the InGaN on SiC substrate, instead of sapphire.

In reality, the bulk material is Silicon, but is also Silicon Carbide. An example is the diagram at the bottom of page 1:
http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/CPR3CC.00c.pdf

Another example:
http://www.creelighting.com/products/pdf/CPR3DC.000.pdf

"Based on Cree's EZBright 1000 LED chip, the XLamp 7090 XR-E is produced on a silicon-carbide (SiC) substrate that has an indium-gallium-nitride (InGaN) epitaxial layer grown on it (Fig. 1). "
http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/13982/13982.html

Take a look at the patent here:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6630690.html

They can directly grow the InGaN right on the SiC.

I don't think the high thermal conductivity of the rather thin SiC ESD diode that CREE uses in the XR-E is much of the equation as far as overall thermal resistance. See my comments later, about comparision to metal.

One would want to look in other areas like the ceramic substrate, which can be made from a variety of fillers.

certherm.png

Notice the low thermal conductivity is silica (silicon) and Alumina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumina

Notice how the chemical formula is Al2O3. Turns out, that sapphire (mineral glass) is also aluminum oxide. In the crystal form, thermal conductivity of sapphire is only 33% of Silicon Carbide. Silicon Carbide also has 2x the thermal conductivity of pure Silicon.

At room temperature, Silicon Carbide has higher thermal conductivity than any metal.
http://www.cree.com/products/sic_sub_prop.asp

CREE is a leading producer of Silicon Carbide, and Silicon Carbide components, so it makes sense that they'd make their own ESD diodes in house. It is a very tough, and thermally conductive material, and is one of the hardest substances out there, and also performs quite well at elevated temperatures. SiC also has a very high electric field breakdown strength, and a very high maximum current density. It also has a low CTE.

There is a grade of SiC that CREE makes, that is colorless, and is used as a diamond replacement, even in jewelry. I forget the trade name for it off-hand...ah, here it is, Moissanite. It is produced by the C3 division of CREE, the only source of gem grade Moissanite. Even the thermal probe test, used to detect cubic Zirconia, is often fooled by Moissanite. One of the neat things about this material, that differs from diamond, is that it creates double refraction, and demonstrates birefringence. This causes a doubling of the facets cut in it then you look into it. It also has a dispersive power that is 2.5x greater than diamond and creates extra live "fire" than many feel is more beautiful. They are still expensive though, at 569.00 per carot or so.

With diamond at a hardness of 10, SiC at 9.5 Mohs is pretty darn close. The Mohs scale is a non-linear scale.

Gryloc

Enlightened
Ahh, thanks Newbie. That is very cool. That would make sense for Cree to use it when the advantages are that great. I seen a presentation somewhere and it shows some advantages of SiC, but it didn't explain it fully. That "Moissanite" you mentioned is really cool> I have seen them before. I think one company that uses them calls them "Diamonds on Fire" or something close. They are so brilliant. As always, you are awesome for going out and researching even more into these topics. Keep that up!

-Tony

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
At room temperature, Silicon Carbide has higher thermal conductivity than any metal.
http://www.cree.com/products/sic_sub_prop.asp
Or at least pretty darn close. Their marketing folks may have had a hand in the above statement. The linked reference lists a range of 3.0-3.8 W/cm-K. Using these same units, some high purity coppers range upwards to 3.85 and silver to 4.18.

*Retired*
Yeah, I know, I just quoted them.

I've need to look up the thermal conductivity of silver and copper @ 25C sometime. It varies a bit depending on temperature, and I'm not sure what pure copper and pure silver's numbers are. Anyhow, it isn't too often that you find the high purity metal in actual application, usually being alloyed with something to improve one performance criteria or another.

Gryloc, most this stuff I already know about, I just like to provide associated references for folks to read, if they care to learn more, or want to see it in "writing".