Prometheus Lights alpha Series from Darksucks Info

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Saw my first Alpha Ready-Made early this morning and it really is something! If you intend purchasing one of Jasons 'lights, be in no doubt about the quality of this finish. In fact, a fine milled finish is a joy to behold - The workmanship is superb, the feel is, in my opinion, just that little bit friendlier & of course, the 'light is the same as the Alpha Blue Series in output, beam quality and after sales service.

The 'light I saw had the MC-E emitter with a beautiful 4000K. tint; much like early morning sunlight and very easy on the eyes. I'm not sure if this a standard offering as his site lists a 4500K. neutral emitter but either of these would be superb as is the cool 6500K. emitter.

Don't be put off by the fact that the Ready-Made is $100.00 cheaper than the Blue (polished) version: At no stage of production or assembly has quality been compromised in even the slightest detail and the milled finish, like I said, screams workmanship. I like this finish a lot! It is a triumph for Jason & a superb display of skill by Gilbert at 'Hirsch Machine'.

*****Well Done***** :twothumbs

Last edited:

Barefootone

Enlightened
You guys are really infectious. I am sold......

If your not hooked on Promethus yet you will be. My next gem :naughty:.

ICE3-quarter-1000.jpg

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
icy nice!. Jason just recently made some 10 of these and they sold within the hour!, all gone!. impressive sale that was.
best wishes to prometheus lights!.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Constructive Criticism

Sporting a simple 3-mode L-M-H interface, the Alpha has very well spaced modes at 5%, 30% and 100%. With these numbers instead of actual lumens readings (or even calculated outputs, my initial suspicions always gravitate toward PWM, but try as I might, there is none that I have yet detected. Either the frequency is too high to worry about the associated flicker, or Jason has gone with current regulation instead. The light does have mode memory though to allow you to select the desired starting output for your next activation. Its method of selecting this, or even changing modes in general, though is what I call out as less than perfection.
The Alpha memorizes its current mode when it has been activated for more than two seconds. This translates into a light that is all too easy to bring up in the wrong mode, but still quite often annoyingly difficult when trying to intentionally change modes. When you quickly pulse the light to check out what that rustle was in the hedge, you have changed modes for the next time you start up, be it in a few minutes, or not until tomorrow night. Conversely, If you have been using the light on high for a minute or so and decide that you don't need to run full tilt and overheat the LED, a quick cycle will not bring you down to low, but rather back to high where you were trying to escape. You will not change modes until you have had the light on for less than 2 seconds before cycling the power. This issue would be solved by using the same style mode switching and memorization on the majority of power-cycle lights on the market. If the light has been off for more than 2 seconds, it will come on at the last used level. If it was off for less, it will cycle to the next mode. This seems like a change that would be very simple to make, however I have not yet acquired the necessary knowledge on how to program microcontrollers such as this (a shortcoming I intend to rectify at some point). It just feels like a somewhat major flaw in the usefulness of what is otherwise a very strong light.

Conclusions

The Prometheus Alpha MC18-B may not be a truly custom light, but its level of construction quality still feels as if it is. The UI isn't perfect, but it is still very functional and the output is such smooth and useful light that the overall effect is quite magnificent.

http://www.laymanslights.venturous.org/blog/2012/06/prometheus-alpha-mc18-b-ready-made/

Last edited:

Raze

Enlightened
I have two Blue-Labels and thinking of getting a Ready Made coz the Blue-Lsbels are too darn nice to be used.

Jason is a great guy! He always exceeds expectations.

redsnake

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie here... but just ordered one of these Ready Made Alpha lights yesterday... Can't wait to get it and play around w/it. I'm pretty confident I won't be disapointed.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi yes, that's the man for it.
wonder if anyone has done it, and what UI they chose, & cost.

I would do the same I guess. get the UI changed some bit.
thanks.
hey man, i tried to send you a PM with all the option that frank can program but it says your PM box is full, shoot me a PM if you clear up some space and i will resend the info