PT Apex - Disappointing throw

cjdec

Newly Enlightened
Just got a couple of Apex's. It's a very good light overall but the throw is disappointing for a light that chews through batteries this fast. The spot for the 3 W luxeon isn't as bright as my old headlamp, the 1 Watt LED Duet, which lasts much longer on the same cells. Of course, overall output is greater for the Apex but that doesn't fit my needs as well.

Any idea if it's possible to change the optic to narrow up the beam?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd consider Apex's throw to be moderate, not a real far thrower. For my needs it works but if you need to see more than 150' - 200' away the "spot" beam spreads out too much.

I'm not well versed in all the good headlights yet but am curious if there's one that provides multi level, good flood and a genuinely useable, far throwing, spot.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of throw are you looking for? I've seen many LED headlamps and the PT seems to be the best overall in terms of throw and sidespill. If you want more throw, I don't think you'll find it in a LED powered headlamp. An incandescent will probably suit you better. However, there aren't many incandescent headlamps that are regulated. I only know of one and I think it's made by Black diamond.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
If you want throw get a Silva L1. VERY focussed beam (better than many incans), just not very comfortable to wear (but it helps if you let out the headband a bit). Or mod it with a headband and battery holder from another 4AA headlight.

Hm, wonder if it'll run on two Pila's?

Mattman

Enlightened
I don't know much about the Apex or who's modded it, but if it uses an optic like the EOS, I'm sure there's a way to pop it open and swap it out with one more to your liking. If it does use optics, a Fraen will probably tighten up the beam.

vtunderground

Enlightened
cjdec said:
Just got a couple of Apex's. It's a very good light overall but the throw is disappointing for a light that chews through batteries this fast. The spot for the 3 W luxeon isn't as bright as my old headlamp, the 1 Watt LED Duet, which lasts much longer on the same cells. Of course, overall output is greater for the Apex but that doesn't fit my needs as well.

Any idea if it's possible to change the optic to narrow up the beam?

You can replace the optic with an IMS 17mm reflector. It isn't a perfect fit (will probably have to be epoxied to the emitter, and leaves gaps around all sides of the reflector), but it gives the beam a smoother spill and tighter, more defined spot.

LightHearted

Enlightened
vtunderground said:
You can replace the optic with an IMS 17mm reflector.

Have you tried to see if an IMS 20mm will fit in the Apex? I know that the IMS 17mm is just about a perfect fit in my EOS, but I thought I read somewhere that the optic in the Apex is noticeably bigger than the EOS.

Alternately, you might try a 2AA Minimag reflector. I sanded one down to fit in my EOS until I got an IMS 17. You may not need to sand it much, if at all, to fit in the Apex.

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
I haven't tried the 20mm IMS reflector, but according to Sway that reflector is too deep to fit in the Apex.

The Apex optic is pretty wide & shallow, I don't know of any reflectors that'd be a perfect fit (but if anyone else does, please let me know!).

cjdec

Newly Enlightened
CM said:
What kind of throw are you looking for? I've seen many LED headlamps and the PT seems to be the best overall in terms of throw and sidespill.

Although the Apex may suit some users, for my application sidespill is pretty much a complete waste. I have two 1 watt LED lights that throw farther than the 3 Watt Apex. One is the LED Duet headlamp and the other is the Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon 4AA. The latter isn't strictly a headlamp but I have a helmet mount for use when caving. Both accomplish this by fucusing a tighter beam than the Apex and both also give significantly longer battery life. Unfortunately neither is as bright as the focusable 3 to 5 Watt incandescent lights we are trying to replace.

The 5 mm LEDs on the Apex are fine for walking around and general close work. The Luxeon would serve many users better as a bright spotlight as opposed to the wide beam it now provides. I'll look into some of the mods suggested here. Thanks.

Latest posts