PT Quad confusion

darklord

Newly Enlightened
I've found a discrepancy in runtime claims by PT for their Quad headlamp - the discrepancy being between their website information and that on the packaging.

Packaging and web site state different run-times. For example...

WEBSITE
High mode: 80hrs total, 1hr regulated
Med mode: 92hrs total, 5hrs regulated

PACKAGING
High mode: 105hrs total, 1hr regulated
Med mode: 99hrs total, 10hrs regulated

In medium mode the difference between 5hrs regulated and 10hrs regulated is....well, massive!

I've contacted PT about the issue, sending them the two images below and asking which are the correct figures, but had no reply.

Anyone wiser than me on this point?...

(sorry, can't upload pics, how do I add pics from my comp?)

Last edited:

darklord

Newly Enlightened

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
They probably increased the output. More brightness = less runtime. Its a tradeoff, you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Edit: They did increase the output. The old model Quad was 35 max lumens and the new model is more then double at 78 max lumens.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want better runtimes/efficiency then you have to get a better headlamp(you get what you pay for).

Zebralight has some of the most efficient drivers in the industry. Their H52 headlamp for instance has far better efficiency then the PT Quad and will run regulated for an hour at 300 lumens vs 1 hour at 78 lumens for the PT Quad. It will also run for 3 hours at 116 lumens vs 1 hour at 78 lumens if you want a closer comparison. And, it gets that runtime on a single AA vs the PT Quad on 3 AAAs. It is also lighter even with the battery in it, has a much nicer tint, and has far more output modes and features. Just something to think about:thumbsup:

Last edited:

darklord

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to be so late in replying (I do wish this forum could email notify me of replies...)

Thanks, Tachead - but the differentials I'm talking about are for the 78 lumen lamp. The packaging shot is from a 78 lumen lamp, and the website figures are for a 78 lumen lamp. Same lumens, different run times - that's what my beef is about.

Zebralight certainly to be considered, wouldn't dispute it! But PT cheap and cheerful (I got mine £10 on ebay, new!) and has remarkable throw for a floody lamp. And 10hrs regulated on medium (which is not much different than high, visually) is perfect for my use. IF it is 10hrs, which is what my query is about :)
Tint is a completely subjective matter and I don't have a problem with the Quad in that respect.

Still no response from PT about the matter, which is disappointing.