Q about a DD P7 Mag. (Pics added)

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a problem. I ordered a reflector from DX, but there is now a gap between the head and the bezel. The light still works, and there is no effect on the beam pattern, but now there's a big frigging gap. Any thoughts?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a problem. I ordered a reflector from DX, but there is now a gap between the head and the bezel. The light still works, and there is no effect on the beam pattern, but now there's a big frigging gap. Any thoughts?

I had that too. There is no other way than use some sandpaper ;). Every flashaholic has to do that at some point:D. It takes a long time but it's the best way.

rayman

irv_usc

Enlightened
Re: Q about a DD P7 Mag.

I am, but it's only temporary until my brother gets a good NiMH D cell set and charger. I doubt the alkies will give more than ten minutes of full output.
sorry, i blew past this. if you are direct driving with 4D's wouldn't you be overdriving the led?

if i am not mistaken the forward voltage of the p7 is between 3.5-3.8 V?

with 4Ds you will end up between 5-6v?

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Q about a DD P7 Mag.

sorry, i blew past this. if you are direct driving with 4D's wouldn't you be overdriving the led?

if i am not mistaken the forward voltage of the p7 is between 3.5-3.8 V?

with 4Ds you will end up between 5-6v?

Answer in Post #8 above.

Mettee

Enlightened
ok key here are some pics
flashlights001.jpg

flashlights007.jpg

flashlights002.jpg

flashlights004.jpg

flashlights005.jpg

Mettee

Enlightened
I clipped it with side cutters. Next, I used a utility knife to cut it almost all the way down. Then I used 150 grit sand paper on a table. I just placed it flat and mad a circular motion changing my hold every few strokes to keep it even. Last I stepped up to really fine 1200.

starburst

Newly Enlightened
I'd be scared to run 4 NIMH cell's, mine get's pretty warm with 3 NIMH cell's. I have not tried 4 alkies if they sag under load to around 1 volt
it may be OK, but if 4 brand new cell's are used the first few minutes of
the run may be a bit much. I'd like to know how it does on 4 new Enigizers :thinking:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be scared to run 4 NIMH cell's, mine get's pretty warm with 3 NIMH cell's. I have not tried 4 alkies if they sag under load to around 1 volt
it may be OK, but if 4 brand new cell's are used the first few minutes of
the run may be a bit much. I'd like to know how it does on 4 new Enigizers :thinking:
Answered in post #8 above.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read all the P7 threads as I am in the throws of building several. I did run beam tests on reflectors.
The WF reflectors sold for the P7 by KD and DX out perform sputtered reflectors. The P7 throws so much light a sputtered reflector looks good agains white walls and in camera shots. Do that then also shoot them down the middle of a street and look at the spill, throw and luminosity. My Eyeball says 1/3 or more better with the WF reflecor. the OEM smooth has so many artifacts it is not very good either.
Missionaryman put me onto that.

Now Built* P7 has converted me from incan only to LED - now I need help building one

In the thread at post 32 are beam shots that also show the differences.

Having seen reflectors side by side,for the cost, $5 and some change, I would not even consider a home sputtered OEM reflector, the performance is so poor against the commercial one.
Why spend all the time and money building and for 5 bucks not make your effort the best?
My two cents, here is an example:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12229

For a long burn P7, I am would choose the NiMh D batteries that would give you 10Ah plus on a stick of three, some brands claim 12Ah. that is 36 watt/hours at least on the 10s. P7 being 12 watts, well three hours run time.

Thomasdistributing has a fair selection of NiMh D.

A little research and you can get a good NiMh battery.

Latest posts