QSP Parrot D2

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you heard people say - My Kingdom for a decent pocket knife ?

What I have today , is a decent pocket knife for the money .
It doesn't look TactiCool or anything , it is in fact some what a classic pocket knife when it comes to size and looks .
It opens via Thumb Stud , slowly or quickly . Just depends .

Problems - There was only one !
My liner lock was SOFT ! and the knife would easily gravity open . ( I hate this )
SO I had to dis assemble the knife , give the liner lock a bit of a bend inward and re assemble .
Lock is nice and taught now . No issues - barring in mind it did need correction .

Blade steel .. Good old D2 ! I really like D2 when it's done correctly ..
Factory edge returned some 250 slices
and my 22deg 180 grit diamond cut edge returned 450 slices of rope . ( Thats decent D2 performance )

With a flat grind on the blade , it makes the spine of the blade almost perfect for running on a ferite rod ( make some sparks ) as the engle at the spine is greater than 90 degrees .
biggrin.gif
It does throw a nice spark ( In the video ) .
Here in the land of Oz , the price on the parrot at the moment is just under $55 republic bananas . This makes the Parrot really good value when compared to some overpriced , underperforming knives on the market .
Remember , this is the D2 version . I own a earlier 440c Parrot that completely disapointed .
I much prefere decent D2 to some underperforming exotic . ( But thats just me )
I like the D2 Parrot , an if they all are made to the same standard ( hopefully tighter locks ) , then a big thumbs up from me .

Franquixote

Newly Enlightened
There has been an explosion of high quality knives in the last few years from brands like this- Civivi is another one.

There's no excuse anymore for getting a gas station/Walmart knife when you can get amazing steel in a "flipper" (not a switchblade, just a convenient opening mechanism) for under $100, and many under $50.\

I have nothing against D2. But even S35VN, S30VN, and some super corrosion resistant steels like my favorite current "budget" steel- Nitro V can be had for around $50-60. Edge holding is amazing on the new steels and there's a race to the lowest price point with the most features going on, so great topic to bring up!

My personal favorite "budget" knife is the Civivi Elementum. Not sure how many of you are also into knives, but the average price of a mid-tech knife which is some factory assembly, some hand finishing is around $250-350. The Penguin mentioned above does most of what these knives costing 10X more do.

It's a great time to get yourself a decent knife!

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately , lots suffer QC issues , Civivi being one .
My Civivi is rubbish , so when I speak of overpriced / underperforming knives , Civivi is the first knife I think off .

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
my favorite knife is the spyderco shaman. it does have quirks but for $200 the quality control is all over the place. mine were fine but 2 youtube reviewers got bad pieces that required work. of course someone did mention if it was that bad why didn't they send them back...

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I contacted Civivi - And they said in a nutshell , tell some one that cares ( They were not interested )
So ? , I would have sent mine back at my own cost .. But Civivi did not want to know about it .
My civivi experience ? Belongs somewhere south of the S bend .

Latest posts