tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL ..... Peter, the bug has hit you hard :D

Titanium + all those Tritium slots

The body looks great but the head IMHO looks a bit too busy

Tofty

Enlightened
Cheers davyro, do stay tuned.

Thanks Wai, this isn't the only custom torch i've got in the pipeline either, check my brass torch thread on MT.O

I must admit that the text on the head is just me being frivolous, without it the head would look cleaner.
The knurling or whatever it's called is there so that the head can be opened or more importantly closed tightly, as the double o-rings make things quite stiff, without requiring a vice and perhaps while wearing gloves.
I don't think it looks too busy compared to some of the heavily finned heads i've seen, perhaps the pictures don't help.
Well i'm sure you'll get a chance to see it for real at the next London meet and see what you think then.

borrower

Enlightened
tx101 is just jealous! I like the head design... looking forward to hearing how the QTC goes.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i'm sure you'll get a chance to see it for real at the next London meet and see what you think then.

just as long as there's no snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking good, what optic did you go for in the end?

Tofty

Enlightened
Hope do make some damn fine braking systems. The finish is sanded where possible to 1000 grit but not too thoroughly, i don't think titanium needs any more than that.

The optic is just the standard malkoff m61 drop-in, i tried my torchlabs triple xpg drop-in but it's a little bit wider so it wouldn't fit. I could obviously just widen the head but that would mean poorer thermal contact when using the malkoff.
Since the body is only 17mm in diameter, running the triple with the batteries that would fit (2x16340s) would give a runtime on high of only about 20 minutes which would be go good while diving so i'll stick with the malkoff in this torch.

I had a look in the events forum and the london meeting before this last one was in 2010. I don't mind snow that much so long as the next meeting isn't in two years time.

The qtc will need the tightest tolerances possible to make it work consistantly well (i hope) so there may well be a fair amount of trial and error but i'm confident....ish.

I'm still worried about making sure the boot is pressure sealed, i think i may have to change things. I'm considering changing the design from a hollow boot to a posted type.

davyro

Enlightened
I've just read up on your progress & i've got to say i admire your determination as well as your great machining to get this beauty up & running.:bow:
:bow:

fyrstormer

Banned
If you can make this design work well enough to sell, consider me interested. I've looked at Malkoff drop-ins before and I've always held off because they were single mode. If I could get an infinitely-variable host to use an M60F in, that would be outstanding.

As with all my lights, the option to attach a clip would be greatly appreciated, because it means I'll actually use the thing. :D

Tofty

Enlightened
I highly doubt i could ever sell this torch design, at least not as it is at the moment and almost certainly not in titanium.

If the qtc system works as well as i hope then perhaps some kind of custom tail cap of Z41 type (to fit the surefire P/Z/G, malkoff M2/3/4 etc) would be a sensible option.
It could work with any single mode p60 drop-in, not just the malkoff and would require no modification to the original torch.

I do plan to release the drawings of the torch when i'm done in case anyone is interested.

I hadn't really thought about a clip for this torch as it will be clipped onto a retaining frame for stowing while diving and with a permanent bungee attachment on the tail to secure it during use.

Last edited:

Tofty

Enlightened
A bit more progress on the torch, all the titanium parts are now finished.
The torch should now be water-tight although the switch and qtc system are still missing.

Ti2CR123-D1079P.jpg

Ti2CR123-D1083P.jpg

Ti2CR123-D1082P.jpg

Ti2CR123-D1088P.jpg

Ti2CR123-D1091P.jpg

Last edited:

Tofty

Enlightened
Just finished making the QTC system and i'm happy to say it works well, although there is still some fine adjustment to be made. After that it just leaves the installation of the tritium vials and then this torch will finally be done.

The tail assembly.

Ti2CR123-D1093P.jpg

The QTC pill carrier made from brass and macor ceramic.

Ti2CR123-D1099P.jpg

Ti2CR123-D1105P.jpg

Ti2CR123-D1106P.jpg

The pills are isolated, by the pins, from any rotation force which could damage them and are only subjected to compression between the two plates.
The grub screw in the middle of the assembly allows the qtc to be bypassed to achieve full beam, it also allows adjustment to be made to the point when full beam will occur as qtc pills age and become less firm over time.

fyrstormer

Banned
That pill design looks awesome. I'm impressed that you have the tools necessary to cut ceramic.

You could definitely sell a few of these lights, especially in titanium. This is the sort of light that nobody would want to risk damaging by dropping, and titanium is perfect for that.

Tofty

Enlightened
Finished, and i know you guys like abit of tritium so...

Ti2CR123-D1116P.jpg

Ti2CR123-D1122P.jpg

Ti2CR123-D1119P.jpg

The ceramic can be cut with standard metal working tools, the same ones i use for cuting aluminium, brass, steel, titanium etc.
It doesn't technically cut, but rather chips so a slow feed rate is needed to keep the chips small to give a smooth...ish surface.
Expensive stuff though, costs more than titanium for the same size stock.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just caught up with this thread, fantastic work, well done indeed.

Love the Tritium in the font and rear, you won't have trouble finding that in the dark!

borrower

Enlightened
All around beautiful! I particularly like the elegance of your qtc crusher. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts