Quality CR123A batteries?

zarko550

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

What are some quality CR123A batteries. I can see that there are some 1600mAh on ebay, but I suspect that that is false advertising.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some brands like AW, Eagletac and Keeppower deliver around 650mAh at 500-1000mA draw.

I'm still waiting for someone to test the Fenix 16340 (700mAh rated) true capacity, as they seem promising.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some brands like AW, Eagletac and Keeppower deliver around 650mAh at 500-1000mA draw.

I'm still waiting for someone to test the Fenix 16340 (700mAh rated) true capacity, as they seem promising.
The Fenix 700mAh 16340 is good. I've got several. I have an older Eagletac 750mAh and the Fenix 700mAh had the same run time on a test I did. Not sure if the ET 750mAh is exaggerated or if my battery was just older or if the Fenix 700mAh is better than it says. My assumption is that the Fenix spec is its true capacity. The Olight 650mAh 16340 performed like a 650mAh battery. Those are the only brands of 16340 I've owned. I once had a Nitecore 14500 battery and it didn't last as long as the Fenix 14500, so I ditched those and I have avoided the Nitecore 650mAh 16340 battery. I know the Fenix 14500 battery uses the Sanyo/panasonic cell. Not sure what their 16340 is.

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Hi,

What are some quality CR123A batteries. I can see that there are some 1600mAh on ebay, but I suspect that that is false advertising.

I wasn't clear enough. I'm looking for a Li-ion (rechargeable), not lithium (non-rechargeable) batteries.

I don't mean to embarass you, but this is not a question of clarity. The mistake being made here is nominal and can and will result in explosion and/or injury.

CR123A cells are primary cells only, can not be recharged, and attempting to recharge them is a recipe for disaster.

There are a few chemistries for secondary rechargeable cells that are used in place of CR123A, and they all require not just understanding the differences, but require avoiding being even slightly inaccurate with the proper way to treat and charge and discharge them, and ignoring this will cost more in hospital bills than they are worth... so just go with primaries if you unwilling to learn some banal stuff, like about all these batteries.

You've come to the right place to find out what you need to know. The first thing you need to know is that semantics matters, and nominal mistakes lead to practical mistakes which lead to property damage and/or injury.

/finger wag

Last edited:

Stoneking

Enlightened
I don't mean to embarass you, but this is not a question of clarity. The mistake being made here is nominal and can and will result in explosion and/or injury.

CR123A cells are primary cells only, can not be recharged, and attempting to recharge them is a recipe for disaster.

There are a few chemistries for secondary rechargeable cells that are used in place of CR123A, and they all require not just understanding the differences, but require avoiding being even slightly inaccurate with the proper way to treat and charge and discharge them, and ignoring this will cost more in hospital bills than they are worth... so just go with primaries if you unwilling to learn some banal stuff, like about all these batteries.

You've come to the right place to find out what you need to know. The first thing you need to know is that semantics matters, and nominal mistakes lead to practical mistakes which lead to property damage and/or injury.

/finger wag

Very true, this is why I stick to primaries. I definitely don't have the time or patience to deal with secondaries.

zarko550

Newly Enlightened

/finger wag

Thank you for clearing that up! I should've done some more research before asking this. But thank you for correcting me.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like AW IMR 16340s, which are 3.7v higher drain cells. I've also got an Efest IMR 16340, but the jury's still out on that one. For lower drains, you might try the AW ICR protected 16340s. Finally, the AWTs get good marks, but you'll have better luck capturing a unicorn.

For short term use, many of these 16340s, whether IMR, or 'ICR' will do the job short term, but the issue is is whether they'll last for more than a year.

I won't buy Soshines, or Kinokos, for that reason.

AWs seem to last, for me at least and I carry lipstick lights pretty much exclusively.

Chris

Latest posts