Quality LED desk lights?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up one of these (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658) from IKEA about six months ago and I love it. The light output is great, the color is nice and not blue at all. It does get a little warm but not hot to the touch.

My only complaint that the switch is of poor quality and doesn't seem like it will last long at all. The lamp itself feels like it is very high quality.

It's not listed on the site but using a completely subjective rating using my experience with flashlight ratings, I would say that it has between 50-70 lumens of output, but I am not exactly sure on the output.

I have that same Ikea lamp and it is excellent for reading, not so good for room lighting. I'd also place it around 50-70 lumens. It has a very warm color to it (like the neutral white tints) and appears to be using an SSC LED.

Heads up! Price has dropped to $9.99! Confirmed in newest catalog.

I spotted those little single-LED desk lamps at the Ikea store near the Mall of America in MN. For $9.99 I thought I would try it out. I liked the light output enough that I purchased 2 more of them. As already reported, the light output provides a warm flood light sufficient for reading, but not for an area light. The neck is long enough to provide just about any reasonable angle and height needed on a desk. If the LED is pointed straight down more or less at the limit of the goose neck arm, the smooth flood light circle is about 18 inches across. There appears to be an optical lens in front of the LED. The switching power supply provided outputs of 4.0V, 0.75A, and 3W and runs rather cool. The LED runs warm enough that you would not want to leave your fingers/hand touching the LED hood for very long.
I just bought two of those lamps for $9.99 each. It looks like they've changed the emitter to a warm white Luxeon Rebel LED and it's driven at 700mA. There's a clear plastic lens retaining ring that clips on holding a small lens. The white plastic "reflector" holds it all together. Under the reflectors is a pair of AMC7135 chips and what appears to be a SMD resistor.

e840b2a3.jpg

I originally planned on swapping the LED or even making a new head for it altogether, but, I might just leave it alone or swap out the reflector/lens for an optic. The Carclo 10003 20mm optic looks like it'll fit with a minimum of mods to this light and will give me a better beam. I could always swap the emitter for a cooler white emitter from one of my Rebel Mag LEDs for more output, too.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I just bought two of those lamps for $9.99 each. It looks like they've changed the emitter to a warm white Luxeon Rebel LED and it's driven at 700mA. There's a clear plastic lens retaining ring that clips on holding a small lens. The white plastic "reflector" holds it all together. Under the reflectors is a pair of AMC7135 chips and what appears to be a SMD resistor.

e840b2a3.jpg

I originally planned on swapping the LED or even making a new head for it altogether, but, I might just leave it alone or swap out the reflector/lens for an optic. The Carclo 10003 20mm optic looks like it'll fit with a minimum of mods to this light and will give me a better beam. I could always swap the emitter for a cooler white emitter from one of my Rebel Mag LEDs for more output, too.
You could piggyback two more 7135's on top for 1.4 a to the rebel, not sure about heatsinking though. Maybe just one 7135.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
It gets warm with the 700mA that it's getting now. It's dark now so I'm going to see how it works. I've installed one right onto my lathe to light up what I'm working on and the other is on my nightstand. The optic was installed onto the one on the lathe and I had to put a bit of diffusing film on it to both spread and smooth out the beam.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I picked up one of these (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658) from IKEA about six months ago and I love it. The light output is great, the color is nice and not blue at all. It does get a little warm but not hot to the touch.

We have two of these in the guest room, great reading lights with nice warm tint, very pleasing to the eye.

The bed lamps in our bedroom which match the ceiling lights take a fancy round globe which is a tight fit height wise I haven't found anything to fit until I came across these Ikea Bulbs warm white (2700 Kelvin) the only down side is that they do produce some RFI.

Norm

Last edited:

Novia

Newly Enlightened
See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

this two LED lamp is more useful

Last edited by a moderator:

luxdelux

Newly Enlightened
Lumiy LED Desk Lamps Re: Quality LED desk lights?

Ever since my wife melted our clock with a halogen lamp, I've used an LED light on the nightstand. But the one we have now is frankly awful -- it's a grid of like 24 dim LEDs that are only barely bright enough to read by.

What I'd ideally like is... well, a Quark in desk light form -- something adjustable from moonlight to omgbright, with useful stops in between. But I'd settle for a lot less than that, but I haven't even found THAT when I've looked.

Any recommendations for LED desk lights?

I use to use halogen lamps as well, but they were just way too hot and heated up the entire room. I bought an LED desk lamp from Lumiy about 6 months ago and I am very happy with my purchase. They've a Lightblade 1500 and Lightbeam 1350 for the desk, but they also have professional grade task lamps like the Draftsman 2500. I found them after I read the Squidoo Article on the top LED desk lamps made this year. They've got glowing reviews across their LED lamp range.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since my post #2 on 02-03-2010 light bulbs have come a long way.

For desk lamps with a smaller shade I found a Philips 5 watt MR16 with a E26 screw base.

For desk lamps with bigger shades a Philips 7.5W/10.5W A19 should work. (It is more directional than the Cree 6W/9.5W.) See review here:
Picking the right 60W LED bulb - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1DuVDD8Nmc
For 800 lumen 60W equivalent in a desk lamp:
incandescent 60W 990 lux;
switch60 1049 lux;
Philips #1 (alien head) 1095 lux;
Cree 9.5W 799 lux;
Philips #2 (10.5W non dimmible) 2660 lux.
The Philips #2 puts 3X+ the amount of light on the desk than the Cree!
The Cree is better in other types of fixtures if you watch the rest of the video.