Question: Mag85 kit.

litho123

Enlightened
Hi folks! I see that this thread is gaining popularity!

It's no secret as to what is needed to make the Mag85 / Mag74 / Mag57 / MagXX. There are many threads already on CPF that list all the parts. The hard part is tracking them all down.

My response in this thread was offering to help out an overseas CPF member by aquiring all the parts for him, build/test the light, and then ship it overseas.

If you're interested in having me build you a light, please PM me.

Thanks!

Here's the Mag85 parts list along with the choices one has to make along the way.

BODY: Mag3D - What color?
LENS: UCL or Borofloat lens?

HEAD: stock 2" or Fivemega's 3" custom head?
If stock 2" head
camless or cammed reflector?
Smooth or Orange Peel (OP) finish?
Light / Medium / Heavy OP finish?

BULB: WelchAllyn 1185
Potted or bi-pin?

Batteries: rechargable AA nimh that can handle high current applications.
button tops or no button tops on batts?
If no button top, how do I work around it to charge them?

BATT HOLDERS: Which kind of holder?
Plastic 3AA-2D holders - inexpensive, somewhat fragile
Fivemega's 9AA-3D holder - durable but pricey.

I think I've covered the most common Mag85 components. There are assorted debates/discussions on the choices noted above, so read up on the opinions to help you make an informed decision when building your own Mag85.

Enjoy the journey!

pcmike

Enlightened
I've been doing alot of searches lately, but it seems the forum doesn't take boolean terms too well and I never seem to find decent threads. By any chance could someone please point me to a thread that goes into detail on the parts and how to build a Mag85? I have a spare Mag 3D light laying around and I would really love to build this much praised "superlight." I may even consider paying someone else to build it for me since I'm not to fabrication inclined, however I wouldn't even know who to ask or who builds the best light, etc. Thanks for any information that ANYONE can provider! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

davidra

Enlightened
As far as quality issues, there are few. Litho addressed all of them, really. You need a glass lens, 3D body and metal reflector. All of those are pretty straightforward and I'm not aware of a huge difference, although Fivemega's reflectors are the standard. The real differences are in the bulbs (potting these bulbs can be tricky, and they're expensive, so you want to get them from someone who knows what they're doing) and the carrier. For average intermittant use, like mine, the plastic carriers have worked fine if you're careful with them. They have to be made very thin and you can break the plastic tabs if you're not careful. Fivemega's carrier is a thing of beauty, you can charge through it, and if you're going to be using the light a lot, go for it. If you're just going to occasionally take it out to blind somebody, the plastic ones work fine.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No inclination for fabribrication required to put one of these things together. Just get the parts. Fivemega will hopefully soon be coming out with a bi-pin adapter that will fit in the stock maglite just like a bulb, and then the bi-pin bulb will just plug right in. The potted bulbs work fine, too, although they may be a little off center, giving you a warped beam, but it's not usually that noticeable when you're lighting up a street or field, only when you shine it on the ground or a wall (or a close object). As far as I know, all the parts you need are currently available from various sellers. Next weeks Fivemega should have more of the 9aa-3d adapters ready. You can get one from him, along with the lens, reflector, and potted bulb! That's it!