Questions About The Fenix HL23

Spin

Enlightened
1. Will this light accept an "Energizer Ultimate Lithium" battery without any negative affects?
2. Is there a red filter that will fit over the lens?
3. Any positive or negative comments from owners of this light?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Will this light accept an "Energizer Ultimate Lithium" battery without any negative affects?
No, it will accept it but the Low mode will be as bright as the medium one until the voltage of the L81 starts dropping below a certain level.

2. Is there a red filter that will fit over the lens?
Afaik, no specailly designed for this light. Some red filters for other lights or even brands might fit some way or another but it's a long shot.

3. Any positive or negative comments from owners of this light?
A few ones: very light, compact rugged, decent UI, IPX8, easy to replace battery. With full compatibility with Energizer lithium batteries and a red led, this would have been an awesome 1xAA headlamp. Still like it but has obvious design limitations.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it will accept it but the Low mode will be as bright as the medium one until the voltage of the L81 starts dropping below a certain level.
Not so. Verified it on my own HL23. It behaves just the same way as an Eneloop or alkaline battery and all 3 modes are present. The reason is that the circuitry is a boost circuit and the VF of the LED is around 3.00v. A new L91 battery at 1.80v is still well below 3.00 volts.

The scenario that the OP is concerned about deals with 2x battery lights. Labrador, might you be confusing the HL23 with a different model?

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not so. Verified it on my own HL23. It behaves just the same way as an Eneloop or alkaline battery and all 3 modes are present. The reason is that the circuitry is a boost circuit and the VF of the LED is around 3.00v. A new L91 battery at 1.80v is still well below 3.00 volts.

The scenario that the OP is concerned about deals with 2x battery lights. Labrador, might you be confusing the HL23 with a different model?
Thanks, was your L91 fresh out of a new pack? I'll have to try again, maybe I mixed things up with the HL30.