• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Questions & FAQ - Oveready / TorchLAB

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Oveready / TorchLAB - Questions

Not necessarily, here they don't specifically fit the E2 which is not a normal 18650 light and probably not bored as much as normal 18650 lights.
He's mentioned that they do fit other bored lights.

AW are usually some of the thinnest/shortest 18650s around.

ahhhhhhhh okay thanks man! i forgot the E2 wouldn't be bored as wide lol

but yeah I love how AWs fit so well

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Oveready / TorchLAB - Questions

Sorry for the confusion. Mr Day is correct.

3400s have been reported to be to large to fit in normally bored hosts (P/C/Z series). These are no problem for the AW 3400.

Brunt's question was about E2, which have thinner walls and cannot be bored as large. It is these narrower bores that [even] the AW 3400 is not slim enough to fit.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry for the confusion. Mr Day is correct.

3400s have been reported to be to large to fit in normally bored hosts (P/C/Z series). These are no problem for the AW 3400.

Brunt's question was about E2, which have thinner walls and cannot be bored as large. It is these narrower bores that [even] the AW 3400 is not slim enough to fit.

okay, thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened

Which combination of light engine, cell tube, and tail will give me the most compact 1600 lumen output moddoolar?

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Which combination of light engine, cell tube, and tail will give me the most compact 1600 lumen output moddoolar?

While you're at it...what's the OTF lumen output?

:D

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

This one.
004.jpg

Right about 4" long and 1.25" head.
To get this short length, it is required to use the ZeroRez Shorty(ZRS) tail "switch" which deletes the clicky switch and allows 15mm more room inside the tailcap.
This makes it a twisty only for operating. No clicky function with this particular layout. But, it's the shortest layout for getting full max power output.
The body is a 50mm(TL50) Moddoolar body, and with the extra 15mm in the ZRS equipped diamondback tailcap, you get the full 65-70mm that you need inside.

Next, it needs 2 batteries to achieve full 1600 lumen output. And in this length they must be a pair of IMR 18350. The run time on High with this battery configuration is only about 18-19 minutes, but it's enough for occasional spotting or short searches, and the run times on the Medium and Low settings are quite decent even with the small batteries.
Carry a spare set in the Delrin Battery Capsule that I show in my photo above. Also from Oveready.

The actual configuration is called:
Oveready TorchLab Moddoolar Shorty-50 H3C Triple XPG2 Cool.
As long as all the options are in stock, you can select Hi/Med/Lo operation, or Lo/Med/Hi operation, or just single mode Hi only. You just cycle thru them like many other lights do.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

While you're at it...what's the OTF lumen output?

:D

I would say it's around 1450 Lumens OTF or maybe a little more. Perhaps close to 1500.
There are beamshots out there which compare directly(same time/place/person/camera) against Gene Malkoff's Wildcat Triple XPG2 which are measured at 1350 OTF and independently verified, and the Oveready Triple looks just a tad hotter, but not much. You have to really look hard at the photos, but I would say it is apparent. To be able to notice ANY higher brightness in comparison at that level of output is going to take a fair number of lumens more to see it.

There's no doubt that these are shockingly bright lights.
If you wanted to conservatively state it, you could say it's at least the same as the Wildcat XPG2 at 1350 lumens OTF, and not be worried about overstating it. I actually think it's a bit higher than that.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

On the L3N model heads, is there any form of low voltage warning or over-discharge protection for the unprotected batteries?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Features depend on the version. All v4 models (of which there a few L3s) include voltage/thermal protection. V3.1 don't have this but will have, for example, reverse cell protection. The letter itself is about power level:

L = 10 watts
H = 15 watts

Check out our version history for feature specifics:

http://www.oveready.com/triple-three-level-drop-in-1600l-/prod_269.html

Last edited:

pcctex

Newly Enlightened

Am an old time flashaholic, but a newbie to the Oveready custom light world....please bear with me.

Studying your website; it appears that the components of a Moddoolar setup are seldom all in stock at once. How does one obtain a specific complete light? Order parts and pieces as they become available; or order a complete light that will ship when all the requested parts can be assembled?

Thank you for your time.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

quick question: a 3P clone (fivemega) + yalls A19 extender makes it a 6P essentially, right? trying to figure out if I need the A19 or not for my 3P body

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

The length is right. To function, the inside diameters should match and the electrical contacts must touch. I've not tested FM bodies, but they should work together.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

The length is right. To function, the inside diameters should match and the electrical contacts must touch. I've not tested FM bodies, but they should work together.
ten four. Thank you. I got a bunch of 6P bodies but wasn't sure if I needed an extender or not so I'll skip that. Thanks for the response :)

Kestrel

Flashaholic

IIRC the most significant difference with the FM bodies re: the P60 interface is that they are just a bit 'shallower' than the SureFires, providing a bit more 'gap' when the Z44 head/bezel assembly is installed over an unsprung LED dropin (like the OR/TL's). Something like 0.050" more than the usual small gap would be my guess. Merely cosmetic, of course.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

IIRC the most significant difference with the FM bodies re: the P60 interface is that they are just a bit 'shallower' than the SureFires, providing a bit more 'gap' when the Z44 head/bezel assembly is installed over an unsprung LED dropin (like the OR/TL's). Something like 0.050" more than the usual small gap would be my guess. Merely cosmetic, of course.

thanks man :) i think people were saying that at the MP too.

S1LVA

Enlightened

I just placed an order but didn't complete the payment! I have a question before I do so...

Will a 20mm shorty body + bored A14 extender + a McClicky'd tailcap + a Moddolar head be the right dimensions inside to hold an AW protected 18650?

Seems like it should work but I just want to be sure before I complete my order.

Thanks in advance,
S1LVA

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

The A19 adds about 33mm in net length, about 2mm short of ideal (35mm)
The A14 adds about 52mm in net length, about 2mm long of ideal (50mm)

Combined with the TL20 then, the A14 nets about 72mm in cell length.

So provided you use protected 18650 and sturdy springs at both ends, you should be good.

With an AW/3400, McClicky, and TL Triple in a P60 interface, I'm getting about 3mm extra (75mm) to work with.

Last edited:

DAN92

Enlightened

On my flashlight 6P/TorchLAB H3c/H1c XPG2 V4, The high mode pass in low mode after a few seconds, this is normal? This is a safety?