Quick CR123A and AA Battery Shoot-out Comparison

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe they are made by Panasonic as well.

I have a bunch of them here. They don't indicate the mAh capacity on them and I tossed out the packaging :ohgeez:

I don't know if a LeBaron is near where you live Selfbuilt, but that's where I get mine locally.

If you want, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple to test. Would be interested to see which tier they fall into.

Last edited:

ccd rider

Newly Enlightened
To be fair, you should test a better representative from Tenergy. They make a CR123A 3V primary called the "Propel". They can be had for around a dollar a piece on ebay. Not only do the run times compare (my own anecdotal and hardly scientific tests) with the bigger names (slightly less than a Panasonic for example, which are rated at 1550 mAh), but they also have circuit protection for safety. I check the voltage under load before I use them (typically in pairs for the 6V headlamp I use for commuting on my bike) and I have never seen one vary from the other (been using and comparing them to others for over two years). They are excellent batteries for the money and I think would compare favorably to the USA or the two better Chinese brands in this test.

Last edited:

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask my question here >

I need CR123A primaries, and I am looking at Battery Junction, which have the Panasonics for $1.40 a piece. I will contact them to see if they are made in the USA.
After reading through your thread, and I thank you for all your work, it would appear that the above batteries would be the way to go?
Would you concur?

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
Hello Biker1,

Panasonic CR123A cells are made in the US and are good quality cells.

Tom

From post #17, it seemed that the Panasonics are made both in the USA & Japan. I appreciate the clarification.

+1

Tom has a lot more extensive battery testing experience, but my limited work supports Panasonic as one of the better brands (certainly equivalent to Surefire or Duracell made-in-the-USA).

I read somewhere that the SF are the Panasonic cells?
Thanks for letting me know that the Panasonics would be at the top of the pile in very good company.
'

Latest posts