Raw AL keychain question

David Gretzmier

Newly Enlightened
I've never posted pics here and would not know where to start, so I'll have to expalin what I see. Take a raw AL, and whatever size steel cable is on the lanyard Rob Supplies. essentailly remove half the aluminum thickness on the backside of the flashlight, the built inset retainer ring on the tailcap.

When on keychain, the lanyard acts as a saw/sandpaper to grind away at the aluminum till it gets thin enough to break or be foolish to leave on the lanyard and break and lose the flashlight. I have tried to EDC the raw in my pocket, and I end up using it and tranferring the light to another pocket or jacket pocket, and I end up searching for it. I have went back to the V5 buckle light for keys for now, as searching for the raw has drivin me crazy.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the description.

Have a Raw NS and Wee NS in transit and will be looking for a way to neck lanyard carry both.

I've never carried a light on my key ring. About a year ago I went from pocket clip carry to neck
lanyard carry exclusively. Ever since going to neck carry, the mere thought of a light clipped to
my pocket sounds like a PITA and annoying!

Next I'll have to do a search and see how folks neck lanyard carry their Wee and Raw lights.

Again, thanks for the explanation.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

For keychain carry of your Raws I highly suggest something like this.

Happy Holidays!!!

Best Wishes,
Steve

Mark Williamson

Newly Enlightened
I've never posted pics here and would not know where to start, so I'll have to expalin what I see. Take a raw AL, and whatever size steel cable is on the lanyard Rob Supplies. essentailly remove half the aluminum thickness on the backside of the flashlight, the built inset retainer ring on the tailcap.

When on keychain, the lanyard acts as a saw/sandpaper to grind away at the aluminum till it gets thin enough to break or be foolish to leave on the lanyard and break and lose the flashlight.

<snip>

Far be it from me to try to sell you a more expensive light that I don't have personal experience of ... but ...

Titanium is a much harder metal and my guess would be that it'd be much less susceptible to wearing away like this. I'd guess it'd also be less likely to wear off on your hands and a bit more scratch resistant although I find it hard to imagine any metal not scratching up a bit if you keep it with your keys. I've not been lucky enough to use a Raw Ti, but the material does sound a better fit to me!

As various people have said, wearing a light around your neck is also a very convenient way to carry, although it wouldn't solve your problem of locating your keys. I wear my raw using a strap from a photography shop, intended for carrying cameras. The neat thing about this is that you can easily clip the torch off the strap. A Raw is possibly a bit big for carrying around your neck on an EDC basis, I just put it on when I'm going on an expedition in the dark. Various people (e.g. Rob@lummi) carry Wees on chains though, I think - it looks cool.

andygold

Newly Enlightened
I don't yet own any Lummis, and have not held one in hand, but my first thought was to put a hollow rivet into the lanyard hole. I don't know for sure if this actually exists in the proper size, but I'm guessing there is probably a SS hollow rivet available to place within the hole. Again, I am unfamiliar with these lights, but when dealing with softer metals, a sleeve made of a harder metal would normally do the trick. I may talking out of my A$$ here, but that's what I'd start looking for.

mpteach

Enlightened
Kevlar fibers abrade each other over time, there are alot of better fibers. I wonder how good spectra cord would work that stuff is lighter and really really slippery.

andygold

Newly Enlightened
I don't yet own any Lummis, and have not held one in hand, but my first thought was to put a hollow rivet into the lanyard hole. I don't know for sure if this actually exists in the proper size, but I'm guessing there is probably a SS hollow rivet available to place within the hole. Again, I am unfamiliar with these lights, but when dealing with softer metals, a sleeve made of a harder metal would normally do the trick. I may talking out of my A$$ here, but that's what I'd start looking for.

Well, I have to correct the above....I am now the owner of a RAW NS 20/200 5-trit green, and a WEE NS 100 2-trit blue. Great lights. From emailing Rob, I'm told that the slots for the trits are a little deeper than they used to be. As to when the change took place, I don't know.

My Lummis came with ball bearing style fishing swivels...the type that you would attach to a fishing lure. Don't yet know if it will wear out the NS casings. Only time will tell....

No really

Newly Enlightened
I also have both an NS and an aluminum RAW (an NS WEE, too) I've found that removing the core threads from a length of plain ol' 440 paracord works admirably. The weave of the cord jacket resists friction wear, not even a hint of wear visible after maybe 6 months in. I also use a 'zipperpull' type closure, no knots to slip.

I used a loop of dental floss to pull the paracord thru the RAW's skinny slots.

I haven't experienced the black residue effect, mine seems to just develop the usual thin white layer of oxide.