Re-Magnetize my Holster Clasps

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have several cell phone holsters which have magnetic clasps that have lost their magnetism. Is there any easy way to re-magnetize them without cutting open the holsters or any expensive equipment? Thanks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The only thing I can think of is getting a small rare earth magnet and sliding it in there.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The way it is stitched no way. It is a long big flat piece so I would have to ruin it to cut it open and I lack the skill and equipment to re-stitch it. The leather isn't thick enough to work with. These are cheap cases but only ones my phone fits well in. I have a Note 3 with qi charger back in dual layer case so it is big and thick. The holster I use is the only one I have found that is comfortable to wear and my phone fits in perfectly. I have a velcro case that is too big with no holes on bottom (to push phone out of case from bottom) so too hard to get phone out. I also hate how hard and noisy it is to pull open velcro. I tried an expensive custom leather case but it was thick and bulky and was not lined so little bits of leather dust were always attracted to the screen.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't have one but one but maybe the Physics department has one I can borrow. I will check. The case is cheap so I could leave the case there. They probably won't want it to leave the building.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
We sell 'em, you want something with a hook or loop so it's easier to remove. I use something similar at work, it's overkill for most applications; you could move barbell weights with it if you wanted to.

recDNA

Flashaholic
LOL, the plan is not to insert a Neodymium magnet merely use it to re-magnetize the cheap magnet in the case. Nothing works better than a magnet. No effort opening case. I don't want hooks to fumble with. I have very poor dexterity.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Right, just leave the magnet on the case overnight; but the usual bare-metal antacid-shaped magnet is very tricky to get off of surfaces and will usually leave scratches. A hook/loop simplifies things nicely.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't understand you. Are you saying once my case is on neo magnet I won't be able to pull the case off of it? I have never seen a case with a hook loop anyway

The magnet in my case is covered by leather and is flat and thin not antacid shaped.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It would be difficult to get the standard thin disc magnet off your case, yes, especially without scratching. The hook/loop simplifies removal; you'll see what I mean if you toy with a rare earth magnet for a little while, those pull ratings are not hyperbole..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Use a hook/loop magnet on your case overnight to remagnetize it, and for easy removal. While a disc magnet would do the same thing, they are awkward to work with and often require a tool to remove from surfaces.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't know what a hook loop magnet is. I won't be able to slide case at a right angle to remove it?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A magnet with a hook on it, as seen in the link. Removing magnets of this power is much easier by sliding them off the surface as opposed to pulling straight out. If you were to place this kind of magnet on the clip of an ink pen and pull straight out, it would pull and deform the clip, if not snap it off entirely. So any means of aiding removal, like a hook or loop on the magnet, helps.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The magnet is inside a leather case. If a hook is required case will be ripped open I hope to slide it sideways off of the neo.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
plan B would be to remagnetize the magnet in the same way that most magnets are magnetized.. apply an external magnetic field with an electromagnet.

Of course, this requires winding a bunch of wire on a steel core and applying a lot of current to it. This is probably only practical if you already have this sort of equipment lying about in the first place, or have friends who have this stuff.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
The magnet is inside a leather case. If a hook is required case will be ripped open I hope to slide it sideways off of the neo.

or maybe put some electrical tape (or other thin layer of sacrificial material) so that will be damaged when the magnet is slid off, and the wallet itself will be undamaged?