Re-tooling - Best Manufacturer for use of standard rechargeable batteries

HighlandRanger

Newly Enlightened
I have a wide variety of Surefire flashlights going back many years (15+) that use cr123 batteries that I have largely retired at this point or will do so after the last batteries are used up. I also have a number of lights that use proprietary rechargeable batteries of some sort, some of which were great but are probably nearly end of life given batteries are not replaceable.

I bought a few more current o-lights, not thrilled as they are imported but I liked that they use standard cells . . . . however apparently they are not standard . . . some kind of circuitry in there.

So the question is, which high quality manufacturer that uses standard rechargeable cells would you invest in for a re-tool?

Use case is just standard EDC, auto repair, home repair kind of thing. Ideally I'd like to purchase a dozen or so to leave in cars and toolboxes and then have a bank of standard batteries in a charger ready to go.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just stick with the 'Big 5': Sanyo/Panasonic, Sony/Murata, LG and Samsung for the bigger cells and for the smaller cells, we're at the mercy of the Chinese, so all bets are off.

For SureFire lights and not boring the tubes out, perhaps 16650s are a way to go with the right drivers. I replaced my 6P LED module with a Redilast 1.5A, 3 mode, 4.2vdc module and it's been fine.

Otherwise, stock up on CR123A and use other lights that accommodate rechargeable batteries.

Chris

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest Underwater Kinetics and Maglite for durable, dependable standard battery flashlights. For metal lights, Maglite. For plastic lights, Underwater Kinetics. Both made in the USA. UWK has an industrial line that is highly resistant to chemicals. They supply lights for firefighting and scuba diving, also. I think that between those two companies, you should be able to find what you want. Good luck. :D

HighlandRanger

Newly Enlightened
My current question is around flashlights 3.0 with the Surefires as flashlights 2.0 - - - Flashlight 1.0 was a bunch of C, D, AA and AAA Maglites from 20+ years ago, including a few 5 or 6 D cell units, I think I replaced the bulbs with LEDS at some point a long time ago but went to Surefires because they were smaller with much more light.

I didn't think those lights were still viable . . . I guess I should research how I can update those - thanks for the thought.

Re Cr123's - I really want something rechargeable and in that format, I think the rechargeable 123's are 1/3 the capacity of the batteries you buy from Surefire.

HighlandRanger

Newly Enlightened
For now I wound up putting new heads in a bunch of 2 and 6 cell maglights and buying a bunch of rechargeable d-cells as well as the maglight clip holders to place around the house. Hopefully the size makes them less attractive to not be in the clip when I need them.

Not as bright as a small modern flashlight but I'd imagine the 6d units would run forever with 6 10kmah batteries in them and the 2d 500 lumen ones are serviceable. I bought the 3500 lumen head for the 6d, lot of general light, not really a long beam but again, useful and in both cases better than those 100 lumen bulbs I bought many years ago.