Rear Light - Design Considerations

Prolixia

Newly Enlightened
I got the Luxeon III (emitter - not star) and a flare lens yesterday and was blown away by the brightness, even at much less than the full 1.4A.

I think the Flare lens rather simplifies designing a housing - the LED can sit on a flat aluminium plate with the lens screwed over the front of it (with a bit of sealant). There's no need for messing about turning aluminium or canibalising old torches. A small, square aluminium box could be just the ticket here.

dnlwthrn

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking the same. Its too bad work gets in the way, as I have 3 Lux IIIs sitting at my desk, along with a Fatman driver (just upgraded my headlight to the Maxflex for versatility), so I'll start playing as soon as I get some free time.

I didn't get the flare lens, so you'll have to post pics of the beam pattern when you get a chance.

mpk

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to know the answer myself so I emailed luxeonstar.com. The answer is that they can NOT be used with a star. Bare emitter only.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how can a lens only with an emitter and not a star? I mean, the star is just like a metal plate. Is their lens so weird that if I mounted an emitter on a large aluminum plate it wouldn't work?

:shrug:

Edit: Just looking at the product, it seems to me that some spacers where the bolts go will make the star appear to be a flat plate. The flare optic will be none the wiser. Could have dirt problems, as spacers would leave gaps open at the base of the optic.

Last edited:

dnlwthrn

Newly Enlightened
Edit: Just looking at the product, it seems to me that some spacers where the bolts go will make the star appear to be a flat plate. The flare optic will be none the wiser. Could have dirt problems, as spacers would leave gaps open at the base of the optic.

So then you add a little silicone sealant around the base of the lens and you're set, right? I think the gaps wouldn't be a problem at all.

FrontRanger

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I'm missing something, but how can a lens only with an emitter and not a star? I mean, the star is just like a metal plate. Is their lens so weird that if I mounted an emitter on a large aluminum plate it wouldn't work?

So then you add a little silicone sealant around the base of the lens and you're set, right? I think the gaps wouldn't be a problem at all.

Yes, exactly. Not much surface to mount the lens. Substitute "cannot be used" for "cannot be used without modification" in the vendor's response.

Last edited:

sfCyclotourist

Newly Enlightened
What about building your light in (or at least using the lens/cover from) a lamp like this?

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=7727&categoryID=420

7727.jpg

nars42

Newly Enlightened
really wanting a red zebra, hope that will be released some time soon!