Rechargeable P60 P61 Incandescent

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-Rechargeable-battery-options-for-Surefire-6P
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?166384-rechargeable-123s-instaflashed-P60!!-HELP!
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?213507-Surefire-6p-Rechargeable-Option
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?118306-Rechargeable-123A-for-the-Surefire-6P

5Y8MpBt.jpg

Many CPFers ask me similar questions: How to use P60 genuine incandescent with rechargeable battery option and what is designed voltage and how to get there.
According to
THIS and THIS you will see that each battery voltage drops to about 2.5 volts for P60 and about 2.2 volts for P61. So:
P60 is 5 volts with current draw of about 1.2 Amps.
P61 is 4.4 volts with current draw of about 2.4 Amps.
As you see, nominal voltage of primary CR123A is 3 volt and that's why they call 6 volt bulbs while they may sevierly overdrive (P60) at 6 volts or even instaflash P61
So what is closest battery voltage to bulb design voltage?
Some people suggest single 16650 (or 18650) at 3.7 volt with yellowish underdriven system.
I suggested 4AA round bundle Eneloops which is too bulky. 4AA inline will be too long and out of question.
Three of
1.5 volt AA regulated output voltage batteries at 4.5 volts is closest for P60 and very slight overdrive for P61 (If capable of 2.4 Amps.)
Advantage is healthy powered regulated and same output from begining to end of battery charge.
Possiblity of 3AA size is
1D, 3AA ,, 3AA D26, 9P with 51mm ExCap or 80mm extension tube on 6P.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are p60 and p61 LA even available any more?

Yes, there are many many P60 and some P61 available in the market.

===========

I understand and appreciate that we're looking to explore options but with all honesty lumens factory has some great rechargeable options that are objectively better than the original lamp assemblies while still using the original bodies.
And aren't 3xAA more like ~3.6v? Not 4.5v
Lumens factory and other aftermarket companies make 800000% better products than genuine Surefire P60/P61bulbs but question is about [SIZE=+2]GENUINE P60/P61[/SIZE]

Do you or people go to school for pick up a beautiful kid to take home or you prefer your own kid?

===========

No. Each cell has exactly 1.5 volt. So total voltage is regulated to 4.5 volts.

===========

Might be interesting if some manufacturer decided to make some 123A sized cells that were regulated to exactly 3volts. Of course why would any bother when there is a whole industry supporting 16340s?
They do and 3 volts 123 are existed now but these are useless for most direct drive incandescent. Two of these can be used to power up M*gCharger bulb at spec but short run time.
If this is the case, better to use 4AA, 4C or even 4D

===========
wasn't aware of the 1.5v regulated AA. Interesting but don't see the point with the plethora of nimh AA.
They are available in "D" size too and soon will come in "C" size regulated fixed 1.5 volts.

===========

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are p60 and p61 LA even available any more? There may be a few out there but not high production. I understand and appreciate that we're looking to explore options but with all honesty lumens factory has some great rechargeable options that are objectively better than the original lamp assemblies while still using the original bodies.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are p60 and p61 LA even available any more? There may be a few out there but not high production. I understand and appreciate that we're looking to explore options but with all honesty lumens factory has some great rechargeable options that are objectively better than the original lamp assemblies while still using the original bodies.

He's referring to the Li-Ion powered AA cells which are regulated to 1.5 volts. The problem is simply that most P60 hosts are designed around 123As which are obviously different sizes. Might be interesting if some manufacturer decided to make some 123A sized cells that were regulated to exactly 3volts. Of course why would any bother when there is a whole industry supporting 16340s?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know there was such a thing. I knew at one time there were 16340s regulated to 3v but wasn't aware of the 1.5v regulated AA. Interesting but don't see the point with the plethora of nimh AA.
The listed capacity is hilarious. I thought better of keeppower

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know there was such a thing. I knew at one time there were 16340s regulated to 3v but wasn't aware of the 1.5v regulated AA. Interesting but don't see the point with the plethora of nimh AA.
The listed capacity is hilarious. I thought better of keeppower

Not that hilarious but the point is that they are rechargeable and supply 1.5 volts. My Energizer NiMH cells boast a capacity of 2300 mAh.

Really the only reason you would need something like this is because you are using old incandescent lamps that tend to flash out at much over 6 volts and can't get as bright on a single 3.7 volt Li-Ion. I tried using an 16650 with a hotwire lamp and was not impressed with the output. It just makes more sense to replace the hotwire lamps with LEDs rather than try to find an odd battery combo or setup to power a light that will not last.

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also just recently discovered that yes, there are Li-Ion 123A cells designed to replace the typical lithium cells and output 3volts just as standard 123As. They are charged via a micro-usb port on the cell. Keeppower P1634U1 is the product.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a very cool product. Though I don't feel very guilty using a set of CR123A primary lithiums in my P60 powered lights these days. It's not that expensive anymore, not like the old days! In fact I often do so just to use up old cells.