Recommend a practical LEP.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Weltool makes a flip-up white diffuser for its W4. It's 62mm if I recall, should be the same size as the W30. Jackson Lee at jlhawaii808.com has them in stock for around $12. Measure your W30 to be sure. Good luck. đź‘Ť

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Okay, can confirm if you need a small pocket-sized LEP; the Cosmos is sweet! You might not see anything half a mile away but that thing is going to hit it from half a mile away.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Thanks I just measured it 60mm
Then the Weltool diffuser will be the MacGyver solution to your problem, as it is 61mm. Couple of dabs of clear silicone on the inside if it's not a snug fit. Easy peasy.

Since it's a flip up cap design instead of a threaded screw on type you can immediately change it without having to carry the filter separately. It will dramatically improve its utility for close up use.

I had a W30 5 years ago and really loved it. It sustains high output for a very long time and its performance holds its own with the current LEP designs costing less than $400 so its anything but outdated/obsolete. It uses a very expensive mirror-type LEP module that is superior to the majority of current offerings that use a shine-through phosphor converter that's much cheaper to produce.

Best feature unique to the W30: unlike anything else it has an astonishing 100 meters (300 feet!) of waterproofing. Actually is a depth rated certified dive light. If you want to have more fun than the law should allow race over to the nearest indoor swimming pool and play with the W30 underwater. It's a jaw dropping aqua light saber!

Here ya go:

Last edited:

Lightcollector

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone looked into the cheap flashlights on AliExpress that are being labeled as white laser? They are in the $15 to $30 range and the same vendors sell typical led flashlights as well but without the white laser terminology. It could just be fake advertising, but not sure.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Absolutely bottom of the barrel deceptive marketed garbage. Avoid at all cost. Sad reality is there is an ocean of imitation junk garbage peddlers from China that flood the market with ludicrous claims and disposable quality. Twenty years ago eBay used to be a great market for flashlights, especially Surefire. Then like a viral plague the $10 Tactical Zoomies flooded the market with kindred variants and transformed Ebay as synonymous with Chinesium flashlights and lithium batteries.

There are some legitimate screaming deals on quality LEPs like the Jetbeam M1X for $150 on AliExpress but anything below $100 is suspect.

ChibiM

Enlightened
There are less than a handful of LEP flashlights actually below $100. They include Natfire SF2 (around $80 by default, sometimes on sale), the Trustfire T30R (Around $80 when on sale, and it's often on sale), the Maratac Mini LEP Cosmos (around $95), and the Astrolux WP4/Mateminco FW2 (around $95). But you need to look around a bit.

If you go a little above $100, the best deal is probably the Lumintop Thor 3 on Aliexpress. It's often on sale for around $110-$120.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I just "LEPt" onto the laser train too, and landed on a ~$133 Fenix TK30. Impulse-bought it as an open-box from a local E-tailer.

Been considering the Nitecore P35i for a good while, as a "best of both worlds" combo, until I read about the specific cell requirement.
Also, the P35i has been overly expensive for what would be my first step into a new product category. So I've kept my eyes on the TK30 as a more reasonably priced alternative.

I have honestly no need for such a light, and even the more normal Sofirn IF22A has an area of use far out of what I need, but I have wanted to see for myself what the "laser" technology can do.