Recommend Ear-Bud Headsets

pactchncn

Newly Enlightened
Can't do any better than Shure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826232001&Tpk=shure

These are the CHEAP ones. (they go up to $300, I think).

They go up to $500, I had a pair of the e3c in ear shure's and I got wax into them and one bud sounds muffled. I have to recommend the custom molded earphones too, they are just awesome if you have pressure sensitive ears. since they are molded to you ear they dont have any pressure, I have worn them for 8 hours straight and they were not uncomfortable. here is a site that has the same earphones that I have and they come with free ear impression kits. http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/chmisearph.html

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goto head-fi.org/forums/ and search for yuin.

Can you tell more about these? I'm like Ray, I don't really want canal phones which is what a lot has been suggested. I'm intrigued, I never heard of YUIN yet they seem fairly expensive so hopefully pretty good.

Last edited:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have noted, a lot of the recommended headsets are IEMs (in-ear monitors). Hard to recommend a good set, since listening enjoyment is so subjective.

A number of years ago, I looked for and tried several earbuds that do not go into the ear canal, but never did find one that I really liked (maybe looking in all the wrong places???). I have small ears, so most of the earbuds were just too large, and wouldn't stay in well, which I think also adversely affected sound quality for me. I got "decent" sound only by actively pressing/holding the earbuds up to my ears in just the right position.

About five years ago, I purchased the Hearos Gold (Etymotic ER6) IEMs, and for me, they're great. Light on bass to me, but I love the clarity and "accuracy." I use a portable amp with my set-up.

Have been drooling over the Etymotic ER4p/s for awhile now, but it's not in the cards. Ultimate Ears and Shure are some other big names, and like flashlights, there are many manufacturers out there. For headphone information overload, you may want to check out the head-fi forums.

You indicated that you don't want IEMs, but since price is no object, you might want to check into the top-of-the-line from Ultimate Ears, which if I recall correctly, costs more than $1000. You need to have a professional make molds of your ears for proper fit...which might(?) overcome your dislike of in-ear canal phones.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I have accumulated a collection of Etymotic ER-4S/P eartips, but the gray ones I marked with red arrow allows me to wear these daily for as many hours as I desire, and with superb sound isolation. They are made of a very soft and malleable foam, unlike any others I have seen.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
That is correct. I do not want anything that goes into the ear canal. I've tried several models of Shure and the other high-end competitor (I forget the name), but I do not like them. I want some that goes into the ear like the iPod type. I recognized some of the suggestions as being in-the-ear type, but didn't want to make a big deal out of it. Of what I've read so far, I'm liking the PK2's.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN, if you do get the Yuin earbuds, could you check back in with your opinion of its performance? Thanks!

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
V-Moda Vibes. Break them in for 15 hours first at moderate volume. I HAVE a pair of Etymotic ER4P ($260) phones. I prefer the V-Moda Vibes. Get nearly the same sound, better bass, WITHOUT a headphone amp.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
He does not want in the ear type, which rules out Etymotic ER4P & v-moda Vibe, but here is another site (iLounge) with more current respected reviews that I had benchmarked that did a revised review of v-moda vibe.

TIN, the bottom line is no matter how many opinions you get, this is often a customized decision. Some have better bass, others better highs, fitting is crucial. I have tried at least 10 different high end earphones, outer ear lobe buds, and in canal buds, and there is no perfect one for everyone.

I have talked to a dozen people (musicians) who had custom canal moldings done, and half didn't like them because they have less sound isolation, and still the quality of the ear plug driver is more important. So rule out all the in-ear plugs as you said and your choices will be easier.

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
He does not want in the ear type, which rules out Etymotic ER4P & v-moda Vibe, but here is another site (iLounge) with more current respected reviews that I had benchmarked that did a revised review of v-moda vibe.

TIN, the bottom line is no matter how many opinions you get, this is often a customized decision. Some have better bass, others better highs, fitting is crucial. I have tried at least 10 different high end earphones, outer ear lobe buds, and in canal buds, and there is no perfect one for everyone.

I have talked to a dozen people (musicians) who had custom canal moldings done, and half didn't like them because they have less sound isolation, and still the quality of the ear plug driver is more important. So rule out all the in-ear plugs as you said and your choices will be easier.
Thanks for the link to the review. It was one I had not seen before. I will state, however, that the review mentions nothing whatsoever about the break-in period. The phones sound RADICALLY better after having been run on some good ol' rock and roll for about 15 hours at about 3/4 full volume. It seems like they would mention this if they knew about it.

Also, the V-Moda Vibes are not in-the-ear phones, IMHO. I have a set of the Etymotics, and they have intimate relations with your ear, with LUBE required to get a good seal. They go in quite a ways. The V-Moda phones only go into the outside of the ear.

This is all subjective.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
they still make the Etymotics with a tight seal like that? I tried them over 10 years ago and they HURT SO MUCH when I pulled them out!!!

I spoke with the Etymotic people about making them with some sort of pressure relief valve so you could remove them without rupturing your eardrum, but their last word on the subject was that "a valve would be problematic" :shrug:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ya can pay a lot for headphones i really like the jvc marshmallows for the price check out there reviews by Googleing em cheapest place i found for em was walmart

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be pretty heavily into headphones, but haven't bought any for several years, I should have enough to last the rest of my life though. Some of my favorite earbuds over the years have been Sony's 848 and 888 models, as well as the Sennheiser MX500's. Not sure if any of these are current production, but they are probably still available if you look hard enough. I use a pair of Sennheiser MX400's at work almost every night and they take a lot of abuse and sound pretty good.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, those Yuin PK2's get pretty decent reviews. Here is just one thread. They don't seem really that readily available, I wonder where is a good place to buy them?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
www.head-fi.org the main site for anything headphone related. if that site is too commercial and makes you :sick2::green::sick: check out www.head-case.org Head-case is primarily run by fanatics and is much less sponsor-influenced.

for earbud type phones that do not insert into the ear I prefer the Yuin PK1 with an amp. PK2 for unamped listening. pics...

you can order them here:
http://www.head-direct.com/

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Well, I just ordered the YUIN PK2 earphones from HEAD-DIRECT Corporation. I just couldn't pass them up based on all the reviews. I didn't go for the PK1, since their performance was dependant upon an amp'ed setup. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. I'll certainly post my comments when I get them. Keep in mind that I'm a normal-Joe when it comes to sound, so what I think sounds good, may be way-off from those with the "ears" for sound.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
they still make the Etymotics with a tight seal like that? I tried them over 10 years ago and they HURT SO MUCH when I pulled them out!!!

I spoke with the Etymotic people about making them with some sort of pressure relief valve so you could remove them without rupturing your eardrum, but their last word on the subject was that "a valve would be problematic" :shrug:

See the gray foam tips I showed in my pix. I'm sure the V-Moda Vibes are nice, but they specialize in low frequency which is not as important to me as fully frequency accuracy. I have NEVER used a lube with my Etymotics, but the gray foam tips are the first I have found that allow me to use them for 6-8 hours day after day....with or without an amp. Finally no discomfort with my Ety's.

TIN, I'm also quite confident that your PK2 choice will be excellent for what you wanted, so enjoy.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
See the gray foam tips I showed in my pix. I'm sure the V-Moda Vibes are nice, but they specialize in low frequency which is not as important to me as fully frequency accuracy. I have NEVER used a lube with my Etymotics, but the gray foam tips are the first I have found that allow me to use them for 6-8 hours day after day....with or without an amp. Finally no discomfort with my Ety's.

So how does one obtain these new tips? Is there a part number from Ety?

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux, when I say they hurt I meant not from friction, and not while wearing them; but when they are removed they create a VACUUM in you ear canal.
That's what I meant by 'pressure releief valve' -- perhaps I should have said 'negative pressure releif valve' but the idea is to allow air into the ear canal as the plugs are removed -- or any other method which breaks the airtight seal when you want to pull them out.. if the foam makes a gap, ie. breaks the seal so air can get past then they would be easier and less painful to remove -- but what about the air- tight seal good sound, especially good bass, requires?

Last edited:

Latest posts