Recommend me some headphones

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2 cents:

I'm not an audiophile, but I have had the PX200's for some time and have been very happy with them. I know that for very serious audio folks, an "open" design is very important and the PX200 is "closed." However, open phones leak sound so that everyone around you can hear. I haven't had an opportunity to compare them directly, but the PX200's sound pretty great to me. Also, it is rare to find nice leatherette pads instead of that awful foam that starts to itch (which is on the PX100s) in headphones this size.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try looking at -

Headphone Reviews - Best Headphones

at ConsumerSearch.com where they claim to be Reviewing the Reviews.
They look at numerous reviews and rank them by their credibility rating - then from this "survey" they pick a short list by application type.

ConsumerSerach liked the reviews at CNet.com -

Editors' top portable headphones

may also be useful - it would seem that the

Sennheiser PX100

and possibly the -

Sony MDR-710LP
if you like more bass....
may be suitable.

Southernwayfarer

Newly Enlightened
Check out Grado - http://www.gradolabs.com. These are probably too bulky but I always like to recommend them because they're American (Brooklyn, NY!) and the classic look can't be beat. The SR-60's are the bottom of the line but are always very well reviewed. One thing to note is that they are open air type headphones so you get some ambient noise.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 Sony MDR-7506. +1 Koss Pro 4aa or Pro 4aaa, I'm not sure if Koss makes these
anymore. These headphones are not open air type. I don't personally like open air
style but other folk's do. AKG also makes very nice headphones. I very important
item to look at is a headphones effeciency. The Sony's are quite good in this area.
The AKG phones although they will sound great need a strong amplifier to drive them
to an acceptable level.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
From this review here http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/sennheiser/sennheiser-px200.php
I get the feeling the PX200s arent as nice as the PX100s.

Not incredibly comfortable, but like they say. Everyone hears what you hear.
I dont listen to music insanely loud so, I have little to worry about. Plus everyone should like what music I am listening to, so it shouldnt matter in that respect either ;)

After more use with my PX100s, I have come to love them even more. I can hang them around my kneck, turn it up a bit louder and hear the music just fine. Its great.

-Cameron

Frangible

Enlightened
My PX100s are my favorite headphones. They are comfortable and have good sound quality, but as they are an open-air design others will hear what you are listening to, which may or may not be a problem.

I also have a PortaPro variant, that while being pretty good for the price, isn't as good as the PX100s imo.

The Sony MDR-EX71s have a severe reproduction distortion problem at about 4-6khz and very muddy bass. The muddy bass I can live with, but without an equalizer to attenuate the massive spike at 4-6khz the sound is harsh. However, if you have an equalizer, the sound is acceptable and they are the most comfortable canalphones I've used.

The most expensive headphones I have are my Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 EB (extended bass)... the sound quality is very good... but not good enough to make up for the very uncomfortable fit. With the best fitting eartips there is no immediate pain but over time they become more and more uncomfortable. It feels like your ear canals have been violated after using them. Not pleasant. My friend has some higher-end Shures and says similar things about them, and has ended up not using them. Just too uncomfortable.

My recommendation would be the PX-100s, overall, unless you need isolation or don't want to bother others with slight headphone sounds.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Koss has some pretty decent headphones at a good price. I have the UR-40, great sound, but maybe a bit too bulky for your liking. I also have Koss the Plug earphones, amazing sound, but you really need to get used to them and they are not the easiest to get in/out of your ear. So I replaced them with Philips SHE9500 on the EDC mp3 player. Sound is not as good, but a little easier to use.