Recommendation for a headlamp

Panoratrix

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum and I'd like some help on choosing my next headlamp.
I live in Norway and I'm active during summer and fall as a runner and I practice cross country during winter time.
I'm looking for a headlamp with the following specifications:

-Work both with battery pack (for the winter) and with "internal" battery (to reduce weight) in the summer
-Good distance spot capability
-Flood light capability
-Have different intensity and mode (low, medium, high)
-Burning time minimum 1,5 h.
-Rechargeable batteries
-Can withstand adverse weather condition (snow/heavy rain) and cold weather
-Budget around 160 $

Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited:

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I don't know of anything that includes both, an external battery pack and an internal. But it is a neat idea. The closest I can think of that meets your requirements is the Princeton Tec Apex rechargeable. It has two cords so that you can wear your battery pack on your belt, insides coat pocket, or on the back of the headlamp's strap.

I don't have this version, but I do have the PT Apex extreme that has a belt worn 8-AA battery pack. It's a good headlamp, but like you imply, in summer months I fall back on my black diamond with built in battery holder.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I once saw this recommended by someone and googled it.
If I was trail-running , I do trail walking :whistle:, I might consider it's price.
The concept is really cool. I watched a marketing demo video of it, and liked it.
REI has it at $175
The Petzl NAO headlamp revolutionizes hands-free lighting with a sensor that automatically adjusts the beam pattern and light output so you don't have to.

• Whether you're reading a map or running a trail, the built-in light sensor measures the ambient light in order to adjust the 2 high-output LEDs? instantly to meet your needs
  • When you're looking at an object at very close range, such as a map or piece of equipment, the light adjusts to a very wide beam with low output
  • As you make your way down the trail, the beam widens and adjusts to a medium light output in order to illuminate objects in the path
  • If you raise your head to see something in the distance, the beam becomes focused and the light intensity increases
  • Reactive lighting keeps your hands free longer because you don't need to press a button to adjust light output; it also extends battery life by efficiently using power

Panoratrix

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.
As mention light weight in the summer/fall is a must.
I've been looking at the Petzl Nao myself, I'm just not sure it can store the batteries other then on the back of the head.....

Targaryen

Newly Enlightened
I also run.
I use 2 types of H51 from Zebralight but they are now outdated.
Have a look at their H600w/H602w range and theres one to suit you. Their high of 970 lumens OTF goes for 2hrs.
Very light (pun intended) in weight.