Recommendation-*good* LS headlamp

richpalm

Banned
Well, since there's a hope of it not being 8 deg. out soon, I'll be getting back into a regular therapy...opps..dog walking sked with Lucy. So I decided a *good* headlamp is in order. Hard to manage a hand light when you gotta pick up the usual, etc.

Don't want incan due to <runtime and bulb vulnerability.

What could you all recommend.. from personal experience? Geek factor and what others think is unimportant. Want to avoid AAA's like the plague though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I'm good with the rest of our addiction but no headlamp experience at all... never even laid eyes on one yet in the flesh.

Thanks all,

Rich

(moderator move this if it should be in LED forum) (?)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've got Princeton Tec Auroras, Petzl Tikkas, and the Princeton Tec Yukon HL. I like the Auroras & Tikkas for around the house, power outages, etc. They really are great! (back to my tool analogy...I can't get by with only 1 screwdriver for the job, I have a drawer full!)

However the PT Yukon HL is superb for everything! 3 LEDs for general purpose & loooooong runtime and the 1 watt LS with reflector for throw (as well as all of the benefits that go along with LEDs!)...If I could only choose 1..the Yukon HL would be it!!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Rich,

I ended up with several head lamps. My latest is the PT Matrix 2. I have been very impressed with it.

It only has the 1 watt LS side emitting LED in a reflector. You will have to decide if you also need the 3 little LED's offered in the Yukon HL. I don't miss them, however I mainly use the light while trail hiking in the woods.

Tom

Edit: I need to add that I got my Matrix 2 at REI and ended up going through 5 or 6 of them to find one with a nice white color. There seems to be a lot of different tints in these lights.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrostar, if you can still find any on B/S/T. 1 Watter with really good throw, and sufficient spill for navigation. Runs for approx 8-10 hrs on 4AAs.