Recommendations for a new EDC flashlight

JasonTL

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, it's been a while since I've been flashlight shopping, hoping there's something out there these days that solves the complaints I've had with the light I carry now. The boxes I'm hoping to check are:

- access to a moonlight brightness without cycling modes
- usb-c rechargable
- decent throw, hoping for some useful illumination out to ~100 yards
- doesn't have to be 18650 but I like that size light

Thanks!

emac77

Newly Enlightened
Wurkkos FC12 or Thrunite TN12 Pro. The Thrunite tends to turn on in the pocket from what I've heard.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
- usb-c rechargable

To be clear, you want the light to be USB-C rechargeable rather than the cell? I could be wrong, but I thought the Thrunite mentioned doesn't have a user-replaceable battery. If the light is sealed, when the cell no longer holds charge or puts out amps, the light is done.

I always recommend Convoy S2+ though the store is currently out of stock and in the midst of Chinese New Year (which should end in a few days to a week I think). Not USB-C rechargeable, but S2+ owners never cease raving about how bright and decent it is, with constant current driver and Nichia HiCRI LED options available, and absurdly low price.

I have never seen a USB-C rechargeable battery, though I expect they are coming, micro USB rechargeable cells are common. They're expensive, though, and it almost isn't worth the convenience, because for a few bucks more you can get a charger and a fistful of conventional cells.

Found one in 21700. The Dual Channel Emisar DK4 21700 is a great light by all accounts, if you care about color temperature and tint, can configure for two different color temperatures and tints run by independent channels that can even be mixed for even more color temperatures and tints, and if configured the right way (which requires research, but I believe it is by choosing Nichia E21A emitters), the driver will be constant current. Programmable smooth ramping driver which will include moonlight light levels that can be accessed quickly by programming it in memory. It's a floody quad LED, the pocket thrower will be more what you want, but, again no USB-C charging, but this 18650 cell does have USB-C charging (though sold out, and I can't speak to the quality of the cell).

There's a Streamlight ProTac HL-X package that comes with a micro USB rechargeable 18650. It's 1000Lm and also runs on 2xCR123A.

But, again, that's one cell. I suppose a light with a built-in charger rather than a cell with a built in charger is probably more ideal. I just hate every one I have seen in the last 20 minutes searching for them. IMO, the more features added to a flashlight that have nothing to do with light, the junkier the flashlight is.

I'm not really helping, am I? Good luck in your search.

I kept looking and found a USB-C rechargeable flashlight that I don't hate so much, and a review.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all, it's been a while since I've been flashlight shopping, hoping there's something out there these days that solves the complaints I've had with the light I carry now. The boxes I'm hoping to check are:

- access to a moonlight brightness without cycling modes
- usb-c rechargable
- decent throw, hoping for some useful illumination out to ~100 yards
- doesn't have to be 18650 but I like that size light

Thanks!
I don't have a flashlight recommendation for you, but rather a general one for all seeking such guidance. After seeing many posts along the lines of yours, I'm now realizing that one of the most important pieces of information which is not always conveyed is: The light I'm currently using for these purposes and am interested in replacing is: (mfg. / model). I won't waste time fully explaining the details of why I think this is important info, but have seen it proven out in practice many times, and will only say that knowing that info up front provides a 'reference point and perspective' on the request that inherently conveys a lot of information which can eliminate the need for many questions and provide valuable insight to those reading the request.

There is a 'sticky' thread containing a checklist, but frankly I personally think it is rather 'over-done' and not that great, so I'm not going to recommend that you necessarily use that checklist, but only mention it to bring out the fact to all that the checklist as I current read it (unless I'm missing something, which I might be), does not even address the info I'm referring to. I think that checklist should be modified.

So having raised that suggestion to the forum at large, I won't try to make a recommendation to you just yet on a particular light, but will rather ask that one question. What are you currently using / thinking of replacing, and any features which you would really like to add, or perhaps hate and would like to eliminate in your replacement. Just a suggestion, although not of a specific light. Sorry:)