Recommendations on best cells and charger for the Acebeam H30?

l2oBiN

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys, I purchased the Acebeam H30 (5000k with Red + UV) and seek your recommendations on best cells and charger for it?

I want to get the maximum time on turbo power.

From browsing the net the "Molicel 21700 P45B 4500mah 45A" seems to have come across as best?

What are your recommendations on a good charger?

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Without question the Molicel P45B is the apex predator of high performance 21700 cells. I have many and strongly recommended them.

The voltage regulation in Acebeams is usually really good so using a P45B will cost you in total runtime , since you are not using the P45's monster 45 Amp current capability.

For maximum runtime without sacrificing output you should consider the Vapcell F56 21700 with 5600 mAh (25% greater runtime than P45B).

IIRC the H30 comes with a 5000mAh Acebeam branded cell (probably with USB, which I just charge in an external charger anyway) that's a button top. Most of my Acebeams don't have a problem with flat tops but I don't know about the H30. Compared to it the P45B won't last as long but the F56 should be noticeably longer.

For a Goldilocks charger I use and recommend the XTAR VC4 plus (around $30, it's on Amazon). It has a really convenient automatic "Storage mode" that safely discharges your cells to exactly 3.7V for long term storage (more than a month unused, greatly improves cell longevity). Fits all lithium ion sizes, even protected 21700 button tops and also charges AAA to D NiMH cells.

Nice call with the H30. Was considering it for myself but concerned about the heavy weight of a 21700 headlight. Feature wise it's ideal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

l2oBiN

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much for your informative reply!

I am new to this whole headlight area so I want to try and minimise mistakes from the start.

The VC4 Plus. Looks like an awesome charger! I have however picked up that it has some limitations on the amount of batteries it can charge? It says it can maximally charge two 18650s? (I have not stated it here but I also bought some Workkos HD15s for the kids) I want to charge this on the same charger. Also looking for some cell recommendations for it as well)

So am I understanding you correct when I say that the Vapcell F56 21700 with 5600 mAh would not compromise on the ability for the Acebeam to produce turbo output for same amount of time as the p54Bs? If fact it will produce even more as it has greater battery capacity?

Last edited:

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Thank you so much for your informative reply!

I am new to this whole headlight area so I want to try and minimise mistakes from the start.

The VC4 Plus. Looks like an awesome charger! I have however picked up that it has some limitations on the amount of batteries it can charge? It says it can maximally charge two 18650s? (I have not stated it here but I also bought some Workkos HD15s for the kids) I want to charge this on the same charger. Also looking for some cell recommendations for it as well)

So am I understanding you correct when I say that the Vapcell F56 21700 with 5600 mAh would not compromise on the ability for the Acebeam to produce turbo output for same amount of time as the p54Bs? If fact it will produce even more as it has greater battery capacity?

The VC4plus
It can charge 4 18650s no problem but the limitation is the maximum charge rate for each of the 4 slots, 1A rate per cell for 4 cells, 2A rate for 2 cells, and 3A for a single cell. A 1A charge rate is more than acceptable. The charge rate is automatically selected for each cell based on its internal resistance measurement, which it can selectively display. Optionally you can manually select a maximum charge rate for all four slots (3A, 2A, 1A, 500mA, or 250mA for very small cells).

Optimal charge rates are based on the fraction of a cells rated capacity as a multiplier: 0.5C for normal charge or 1C for rapid charging, where C is the cells capacity. For example, an 18650 with 3000mAh capacity, normal charge is 0.5C (where C=3000) so 1500(mA) which is 1.5A. So either 1A or 2A is perfectly fine.

1C for fast charge=3000mA=3A for fast charge.

Generally, slower charge rates are beneficial for cell longevity in retaining capacity after many use cycles. Always best to round down to a lower charge rate.

The main thing is the intelligent charge circuit in the VC4 can be trusted so you just have to pop the cells in and wait for the LEDs to turn green, while watching the display for the technical details if you want to know.

I looked at the Wurkkos HD15s and they don't specify cell size, only using their onboard USB C charging. It's either an 18650 or 14500 but I'm guessing 18650. Both will work perfectly in the VC4.

Finally, yes the F56 will offer greater overall runtime than the stock Acebeam cell without sacrificing maximum output. It's also half the price of an Acebeam branded 5000 cell.

Glad this helps!

l2oBiN

Newly Enlightened
The VC4plus
It can charge 4 18650s no problem but the limitation is the maximum charge rate for each of the 4 slots, 1A rate per cell for 4 cells, 2A rate for 2 cells, and 3A for a single cell. A 1A charge rate is more than acceptable. The charge rate is automatically selected for each cell based on its internal resistance measurement, which it can selectively display. Optionally you can manually select a maximum charge rate for all four slots (3A, 2A, 1A, 500mA, or 250mA for very small cells).

Optimal charge rates are based on the fraction of a cells rated capacity as a multiplier: 0.5C for normal charge or 1C for rapid charging, where C is the cells capacity. For example, an 18650 with 3000mAh capacity, normal charge is 0.5C (where C=3000) so 1500(mA) which is 1.5A. So either 1A or 2A is perfectly fine.

1C for fast charge=3000mA=3A for fast charge.

Generally, slower charge rates are beneficial for cell longevity in retaining capacity after many use cycles. Always best to round down to a lower charge rate.

The main thing is the intelligent charge circuit in the VC4 can be trusted so you just have to pop the cells in and wait for the LEDs to turn green, while watching the display for the technical details if you want to know.

I looked at the Wurkkos HD15s and they don't specify cell size, only using their onboard USB C charging. It's either an 18650 or 14500 but I'm guessing 18650. Both will work perfectly in the VC4.

Finally, yes the F56 will offer greater overall runtime than the stock Acebeam cell without sacrificing maximum output. It's also half the price of an Acebeam branded 5000 cell.

Glad this helps!
Thank you very much once again!

Can I mix the cells on the cells on the charger? For example if I had the F56 (0.5 x 5600mA = 2.6A) and a couple of 3000mA 18650 (1.5A) then I can compromise by selecting a 2A charge? Or can the charge itself auto select for each added battery the correct charge?

I don't mind investing a little more if there is a notable advantage to having a better charger then the VC4 plus?

I do like how the VC4 plus runs off a usbc .. that way I can even charge on my car phone charger!

I also just came across the Vapecell F60! Seems like a bit more capacity!!

What is the difference between button top and not? Any advantage to one over the other? Would the H30 and the charger be compatible with both?

Just to complicate things a little further.. I bought a Zebralight "ZLH502w-2 H502w L2" in 2015 which I still have today!!! I have just been using AA battery from stores with it, but it would be awesome if there are some better batteries that are also rechargeable and compatible with the same charger. I am not sure what is available today???

Last edited: