recovering a Ryobi 40v battery by zapping + to + but has 4 terminals

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
The Ryobi 40v charger has a flaw -- when the battery is down to "the tool stops running," it always flashes "defective" until you leave it there a while & remove/replace it a few times, until the battery creeps up enough (to reset the protection circuit ???).

For one battery this is not working, so I want to "zap" the battery + to + with another battery to try to reset any protection circuit. I don't know if I should use the marked + and - terminals; there are two more with inscrutible glyphs.
Anyone know how these terminals are arranged?

The damn batteries cost $130 and they should last more than a few dozen cycles. Even once a week is only 50.

EDIT: this old thread shows the + to + method:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?245032-How-to-reset-battery-protection
It also has some suggestions for using a variable voltage DC power supply with current limiting, to get it up above the minimum voltage.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would contact the place you got the battery from and see if they can replace it if it isn't too old

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using the contacts available won't work because of the circuitry involved, you would need to open the case and access the two sides of the battery directly.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Using the contacts available won't work because of the circuitry involved, you would need to open the case and access the two sides of the battery directly.

I can do that. Presumably the donor battery can use its terminals?

Last edited: