Redux... LED work light mod

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, post fire rebuild of the lab and am working on lighting for my wifes work bench. I have an old, metal, flex neck desk lamp that I'm going to convert to either a single or triple xml2. Problem I'm having is finding an appropriate driver. I'd prefer it if it could run off the current 12v UPS lines I currently have throughout the house. It also needs to be dimmable, preferably cc and rheostat controlled. 0-100% like most common household lighting dimmers. I'll have these LEDs well heatsinked and actively cooled with thermal controlled fan.
Any driver suggestions? I'm really overwhelmed and at a loss with the number of choices available these days.
Efficiency isn't an issue since the power source is approx 2500AH and capable of almost 3000A (if needed, lol) but smaller the size, the better.
Ty in advance.

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
Hi,

have you considered Buckpucks? I have been using one for a 12v lighting project in my house since 2008. It's outlasted several other drivers even though it was rigged up to an old Scalextric psu with a really dirty output for quite a while. The other drivers lasted weeks/months. They are not cheap but well packaged, dimmable and a quality bit of kit imo.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up the heatsink yesterday.....

12v high velocity fan with copper core. I've had to reverse the air flow in order for it to flow out the back/top of the lamp housing which will reduce the performance slightly from specs (is a 90w sink) but with only 30w of LED, I don't believe there'll be any issues.
I've sourced a copper 3up xm-l2 star so as soon as it's available, I'll acquire one. I'll be drilling/tapping a hole in center of copper plug to affix the star with arctic silver 5 paste between.
I'm debating on using the thermal fan speed control or just letting it run full tilt when operating.
Still need to find a driver to suite my needs. I'd like to provide 4A to these but finding a POT dimmable driver that runs off 12v (±3v) is proving difficult.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have decided that if I can find a driver that will allow me to, I'm going to use the fans return signal wire to act as a failsafe, when lamps power is on, fan speeds up & signals "on", then driver activates, should fan fail, driver will shut down to prevent LED damage....
Good idea or wasted effort?

light-modder

Enlightened
Sounds like a good idea to me. Don't know if it will work but ME has a charger/driver listed under chargers it's adjustable for voltage and current output. Where did you find triple up xml2 boards?

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a good idea to me. Don't know if it will work but ME has a charger/driver listed under chargers it's adjustable for voltage and current output.

I've seen a few and bought a few of the "variable cc/cv" devices and haven't had much luck with them. Either the controls are to.... "crusty" or they don't keep where I set them. ....And like I said, I'd like this to be variable during use so my wife can simply turn a knob, click, light comes on in low and then she just turns it up to where she wants/needs it. Need to be able to provide 4A to the 3 LEDs and that's been posing an issue as well. Largest I've been able to find is around 2.5A with the drivers I've found thus far. I may give mc a buzz and see if he has anything that will work tho, Ty!

light-modder

Enlightened
That's unfortunate that they aren't reliable I was thinking about using one. Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's unfortunate that they aren't reliable I was thinking about using one. Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

Just my exp with the ones you can easily acquire on eBay. Not saying all are like that.
For this project, I simply want a 12v (give or take) driver that supplies 0-4A for 3 xml2.
I wouldn't think this is allot to ask for but apparently it is. Lol