Refrigerator LED Bulb

BlakeL

Newly Enlightened
Most of the expensive refrigerators these days have nice LED's that give more of a cool white temperature instead of the yellow of the regular appliance bulbs. My wife and I just bought a new fridge that only came with the regular appliance bulbs and i'm looking to replace them with something that has a better color temperature. Anyone have any recommendations?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
lol... a true flashoholic. ;)

Are you really in your refrigerator that much?

Just unscrew the light bulb and use your flashlight. j/k..

BlakeL

Newly Enlightened
I have one similar to this in my refrigerator:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E14-220V-...7197307?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item484d7596fb

was concerned about condensation issues at first, but it's been working for almost 2 years now without problem

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check what base the bulbs in my fridge use and get something similar. Hopefully I'll be able to find something on Amazon because of my free prime shipping. Anyone have experience with LED Wholesalers? I know they sell a lot of bulbs that look like the one you linked.

BigRiz

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't buy that one BlakeL because it seems a bit directional.. and also because most probably it's too big to fit

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an idea: they should put a light sensor to dim the light appropriately so we don't get blinded at night :D

I just changed mine with a regular bulb because the LED replacements don't come in neutral or high CRI :/ High CRI could make a life-saving difference when it comes to good and bad meat... just sayin'

I have one similar to this in my refrigerator:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E14-220V-...7197307?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item484d7596fb

was concerned about condensation issues at first, but it's been working for almost 2 years now without problem

Looks like those ould be modded, but that might turn out to be quite a job. I'll check at the electronics store if I can see one upclose next time I go by. What am I getting into now?

Last edited:

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
LEDs can stand up to cold temperatures just fine (they can even operate under liquid nitrogen!).

The only problem may be the electrolytic capacitor inside the electronics in a retrofit LED bulb. If it gets very cold, this capacitor will start becoming less functional, if it freezes it could actually damage it. Another potential problem is condensation. Some of the LED bulbs have the actual chips and metal contacts exposed to the air through little vents. If moist air gets into that, it could deposit water and potentially cause short-circuiting.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
I would be concerned about condensation issues also, especially over several years. If there are any venting holes, moisture can get inside that. Perhaps even causing ice damage if the refrigerator setting ever accidentally gets too cold. Might be best to use an LED retrofit bulb rated for wet locations.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It's an appliance bulb - operates for a few minutes each day? You can get halogens in A15 sizes - those will be a bit whiter and will likely outlast the refrigerator.

Wouldn't mess with LED bulbs in a refrigerator largely for the moisture concerns outlined; would also avoid modifying or homebrewing anything for the same reason. If you must go with a LED bulb, ensure that it's rated for near-freezing environments with high humidity.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found either of these two products work great in the fresh and frozen sections of my fridges.

In one particular Walmart I got the last couple from the shelf for $6.97 (their regular price). Didn't see them in other Walmarts.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Ele...t-Bulb-BPA15-CL-LED-RP/203434171#.UaaEGI3D_IU

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Ele...ight-Bulb-BPA15-LED-RP/203434186#.UaaDx43D_IU

They flicker to the input AC, but the lack of electronics should make them last despite cold temperatures.

They certainly don't produce the same heat as an incandescent. Makes sense to have something that doesn't create heat in a cooling device.

wws944

Enlightened
LED appliance bulbs

Just had a 40w A15 appliance bulb burn out in my fridge today. Anyone have a favorite LED replacement for these? Since it is mounted horizontally, it needs to have good output to the sides. The Cree 40w equiv would be ideal, and would work in a pinch, but is slightly too big. (I tried.)

Speaking of appliance bulbs, I also have four PAR20 50w halogens in the range hood. I have read reviews where folks have substituted LED PAR20s. But am hesitant to do so given the gas range has six burners with a potential heat output of 90K BTU (15K BTU/each), plus moisture, grease, etc... Since these PAR20s are on the Banned Bulb list, I am a little worried about what to do about them.

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED appliance bulbs

Use incans in those applications, they aren't on long enough to make anthing else worth the cost and incans handle those environments best.

DavidOz

Newly Enlightened

The saving in switching to LEDs will be in the time required to purchase and replace the bulb every year. Not the electricity.
LEDs work well in cold environments. They are recommending them in industrial cold rooms where florescence lights wont start up.
Pick a sealed high CRI globe if you can, so the meat doesn't look funny.

wws944

Enlightened

Well, the old fridge bulb lasted 12 years, but there are several others in it that are as old that will be going bad soon. My main concern is simply never having to change them again, and secondarily the high heat they emit when the doors are open. Plus, LEDs are nifty. :)

Range hood lights could be on an hour or more a day. So they definitely do show up on the energy usage radar.

egghead2004

Newly Enlightened

I was just looking into the same thing, we just bought a new kitchen aid fridge with halogens. I loved the look of the LEDs in the bosch, but the price tag was too steep. I'm not concerned with energy savings, just the cool look of the LEDs. Hopefully someone like Switch or Cree will make an A15 soon.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a GE with LED lighting. However, they use an incandescent in the freezer section. I replaced it with the LED bulb listed below - I paid only $7 for it. It's been working perfectly despite subzero temps. There is a bit of flicker to it, but the lack of driver circuit is a good thing for low temp operation.

I also put one in my basement fridge - works good there too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Ele...t-Bulb-BPA15-CL-LED-RP/203434171#.UfGkgo3D_IU

P.S. there is a frosted lens version too.

wws944

Enlightened

Maybe I am over-thinking this, but one of the bulbs is almost directly under the ice maker in the freezer. While there is a metal shield between them, I have to think that when holding the door open for a length of time a lot of heat gets generated. I occasionally have to pull the ice bucket out and 'de-ice' it, because of gradual buildup. Wonder if that is why? If so, a LED bulb would be a great help.

I will take a look at the Feit A15 next time I am at HD. At 150 lumens, is it bright enough?

markr6

Flashaholic
Refridgerator LEDs

I've been looking at getting a new refridgerator. Many of the sizes and styles that fit our specs have been Samsung. But, many of them have BLUE leds. I mean BLUE...like BLUER than a sunwayman d40a!! What were they thinking? Blue milk, bluish-green butter, etc. Not very pleasant at all. Is there such thing as a negative CRI? Just kidding, but you get the point. And now that I think of it, it wasn't just the Samsung brand.

Maybe it looks cool, but an array of deep RED LEDs would look really neat too, but not functional whatsoever. It truly amazes me. Thankfully we ended up buying a Samsung which had incandescents.

What are your thoughts? Don't tell me we're going to start modding these now too!