Regrowing teeth might be possible

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I've long thought how great it would be if there were a way to stimulate a new tooth to grow to replace a damaged one. No more expensive root canals, crowns, implants, etc. No more sitting through hours of torture in the dentist's chair. Turns out it might actually be possible:

Humans Have a Third Set of Teeth. New Medicine May Help Them Grow.

• A 2021 study out of Japan showed how targeting genes can regrow teeth in animals. Now, the team has turned to a human clinical trial.
  • By targeting the USAG-1 gene, researchers believe that they can help people without a full set of teeth regrow teeth.
  • The team says that humans have a third set of teeth available as buds, ready to grow as needed.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a chipped tooth, and I've been reading into this for over fifteen years, since they've been talking about it for even longer. I haven't seen anything that has some substance to it in all that time. Just "research". I'm sure it will eventually happen, but I don't hold out hope in the near future. We'll see I guess. Hope I'm wrong.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I have 3 molars on top that lost their fillings during the pandemic and pretty much crumbled. I'm probably looking at $5K to $10K which I don't have just for that. Can't really do multiple dental appointments anyway so long as my mother is alive. All I can do for now is try to keep everything clean so I don't get an infection.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 molars on top that lost their fillings during the pandemic and pretty much crumbled. I'm probably looking at $5K to $10K which I don't have just for that. Can't really do multiple dental appointments anyway so long as my mother is alive. All I can do for now is try to keep everything clean so I don't get an infection.
Yea, that's kinda all you can do I guess. I have some fillings from the mid-90's in my molars that have still held up. Aside from my chipped tooth, I also have a bit of a hole in the back of one of my fronts. I think it came from accidentally banging a glass against it over a year ago. One of these days I need to go in too. So far I don't have any dead or totally missing teeth, so that's good.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
So far I don't have any dead or totally missing teeth, so that's good.
29 out of 32 teeth still in my mouth in various forms. Some without any fillings, others with root canals and crowns. Two of the missing teeth are wisdom teeth. The other is a molar which was replaced with a bridge (the adjacent teeth needed crowns anyway, so no good teeth were compromised for the bridge).

Unfortunately I have a penchant for sweets, or I might have needed less work over the years.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If it were possible, every single dental insurance company would lobby Congress to ban whatever procedure is involved in making it happen. Along with buying out or intimidating anyone who patented the process. Most likely the former, and then simply burying the process involved away from human eyes for the rest of eternity.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
If it were possible, every single dental insurance company would lobby Congress to ban whatever procedure is involved in making it happen. Along with buying out or intimidating anyone who patented the process. Most likely the former, and then simply burying the process involved away from human eyes for the rest of eternity.
It may well be true but a well-meaning individual could just post the secrets of something they invented online. Once it's out there, there's no putting it back. I know I'd do that. I'm an idealist at heart. If I came out with something world-changing, I'd let the world have it for free. I don't need to become a billionaire. I'm sure I'm far from the only one who thinks this way.

Along the same lines some say a cure for cancer exists but it's being kept under wraps because cancer is big business.

I'm dubious though for one reason. Every other first world country except the US has single payer health care. If you have government paying for health care, it's in government's interest to find cheap cures, or better yet preventions, as it means lower taxes to fund the health care system. There would be no incentive to keep cancer cures, or the ability to regrow teeth, under wraps.

That said, I recall in the EV1 era that the AMA came out against electric cars because they would reduce cancer rates. I don't know if that's still their official position now. I doubt it. It would be a public relations disaster in this day and age.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's basically what I thought about the whole situation. I know people whose dental implants have caused them a lot of pain.

Last edited: