What a traffic nightmare this will be!!!

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI for those not paying attention: F1 racing in the U.S. has changed completely in the last few years. 432,000 attended Austin this year (a purpose-built road course circuit), and 270,000 attended the Miami street race. 400,600+ attended Mexico City a few weeks ago. By comparison, a bit under 68,000 attended the super bowl in PHX this year. There's probably nothing else that could bring as many visitors to Vegas, and that's the very life blood of Vegas. These are international events drawing attendance that likely nothing else could ever match. This race should be worth WAY more to Vegas than all the hassles incurred combined.

Edit: If you want to see the whole schedule of events, sign up for F1TV for a month and stream the whole affair - ad free and on-demand (as well as live, if you're into that). One can watch either the F1TV crew presentation or the Sky presentation. I prefer the former, but both are good, and available at will. If you do that, watch Austin and MC or Sau Paulo from last weekend (all proper race circuits) while you're at it. I'd pass on trying to fly into McCarran at this point - or get a room. It is a street race, which are not generally the best to watch (the cars / drivers can't really do their thing fully on city streets), but should still be worthwhile.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

It costs alot to hold an F1 race.

~ There's all the logistics and planning, money/lobbying to even get it on the calendar
~ Then the massive setup with barriers, fencing, untold safety protocols
~ All the electrics, lights, big screens, and about a hundred thing I didn't mention
~ Advertising
~ Then >>>>>>>> tearing that all down
~ Did I mention paying F1 a huge check just to have the race, that's above everything else.

~~ Street courses have no runoff, so if a car wrecks bad, figure around seven figures for a team
NO, I really didn't like street races.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Tried to get Road America to hold a World Superbike event, they looked into it.
,, very political and/or takes HUGE $$$$$$$$$ to make it happen.
Tracks that have it on the calendar do not want to loose it, so they (FIM) make it very hard* for any new circuits.

*saying the track needs to be reconfigured and things like that, to get you to drop the proposal

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm reading that ticket sales and accomodation bookings for this race have come up very short and ticket prices are drastically dropping. Apparently this is due to having over-priced the tickets well above those for all the other domestic races, and also the fact that the championship driver's title has already been decided (which wouldn't dampen my enthusiasm in the slightest if I wanted to go), but I'm sure it would for some.

I won't be driving up there though, even given a bargain. I'm not the Vegas type anyway, but also greatly prefer natural terrain road circuits over city street races, having done both (including 2 street races). If I can arrange it, I'll consider Austin next year. Austin's not my favorite place (the local slogan is "keep Austin weird", but it's gotten too weird). However, the facility / track are outstanding. That and the BBQ would make up for the town (which I'd see little of except the airport anyway;-) I'll happily settle for F1TV for the Vegas race.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_1566.jpeg

Because driving a race car that's so fragile that if you crash could be mamed or killed around a makeshift road course with manhole lids and other perils as fast as possible plus some isn't burley enough..... let's do it while it's raining without windshield wipers, or a roof.

F1 drivers are nuts.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 52198
Because driving a race car that's so fragile that if you crash could be mamed or killed around a makeshift road course with manhole lids and other perils as fast as possible plus some isn't burley enough..... let's do it while it's raining without windshield wipers, or a roof.

F1 drivers are nuts.
That might have been my poster!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

F1 was first called Grand Prix
Gear driven cams have a unique, fantastic, sound.

What kind of flashlight* do you think this engineer would be using today..
1699803870084.jpeg

* torch in the UK

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

F1 was first called Grand Prix
Gear driven cams have a unique, fantastic, sound.

What kind of flashlight* do you think this engineer would be using today..
View attachment 52209

* torch in the UK
Hmmm, maybe a Maglite with a tool company or racing imprint, converted to LED. OTOH, some cheapo ChiCom LED light. You just never know about people.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Cosworth

>>>> interesting how even today, most F1 teams are based in UK
or at least they were, not that long ago.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
View attachment 52198

F1 drivers are nuts.
On the bright side, if you crash; you die! ⚰️
No concerns about having to live the rest of your life as a cripple.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the bright side, if you crash; you die! ⚰️
No concerns about having to live the rest of your life as a cripple.
Mmmm, I don't know. Maybe 20 years or so ago, but nowadays, with all the medical progress we have made in trauma medicine due to the GWOT, they just might be able to save them. And with the brain implants that Elon Musk is working on, perhaps walk and function again. Today's technology is amazing.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Mmmm, I don't know. Maybe 20 years or so ago, but nowadays, with all the medical progress we have made in trauma medicine due to the GWOT, they just might be able to save them. And with the brain implants that Elon Musk is working on, perhaps walk and function again. Today's technology is amazing.
Sadly, we're not at the point where nano technology exists. Nor can they give folks a full cyborg body. Robot everything, but controlled by a human brain with personality and all retained memories. Though personally, I'd love to get my head chopped off and reattached to a cloned organic male body. Mid-20s, body-builder with a 6-pack of abs., bulging muscles. Huge, everywhere.

Like the one B.J. Blazkowicz got after he was executed, from the last Wolfenstein video game. Wouldn't be too crazy about having a serial number on that cloned organic body as a tattoo. Nor having a small, certain German symbol from WWII tattooed on said body as well for identification purposes. Oh well, even a semi-skilled tattoo artist could cover both of those up in one session.

Hmmm.... I may have given this more thought than I should have.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly, we're not at the point where nano technology exists. Nor can they give folks a full cyborg body. Robot everything, but controlled by a human brain with personality and all retained memories. Though personally, I'd love to get my head chopped off and reattached to a cloned organic male body. Mid-20s, body-builder with a 6-pack of abs., bulging muscles. Huge, everywhere.

Like the one B.J. Blazkowicz got after he was executed, from the last Wolfenstein video game. Wouldn't be too crazy about having a serial number on that cloned organic body as a tattoo. Nor having a small, certain German symbol from WWII tattooed on said body as well for identification purposes. Oh well, even a semi-skilled tattoo artist could cover both of those up in one session.

Hmmm.... I may have given this more thought than I should have.
You too much vid ya games! 😲

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast

You reminded me of a season of Gotham, I think the character's name was "The Toymaker".

BTW, there are some people demonstrating in NYC right now that would likely be happy to oblige you on the chopping off of your head...reattachment to another body, not likely though, sorry. 🥷

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cosworth or a Duckworth?

... The later, at one time, were the best British name for M/C primary drive and rear sprocket chains

Cosworth and Duckworth are almost synonymous. And yes, those gear driven cams sound fantastic; unique, like desmodromic valves.
I love the sound of a racing engine. I used to have a CD of different engines at speed, called "open pipe symphony". My wife thinks I'm nuts… my son understands. 😊